The view from Greensboro... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The view from Greensboro...

Why did I give that pompous moron a "click?"
Sorry. I thought of pasting the article to save him from getting the clicks, but as a media member myself, it's only fair.

Greensboro is just a microcosm of what’s happening here in Charlotte & throughout the Southeast.
As Northerners flee the taxes and high cost of living, we’re landing in these good ole boy cities, filled w/ networks of locals who still yearn for the “good ole days” when YANKEES stayed away, and they could sleepily wile away the years w/out having to adapt to reality.
Greensboro IS a dump. It’d be like if Utica held the OBE Tournament because...tradition.
Luckily Dave Gavitt was smart enough to realize that MSG, and not Providence RI, was where the OBE Tourney belonged. If he’d thought like the ACC traditionalists do, we might’ve ended up playing in RI, because well, thats where BE HQ was.
I’ve been in my adopted city of charlotte 8 years now- absolutely LOVE the place. But this mentality from the denizens of Greensboro and the like, is not uncommon. They’re clueless about what they have, and haven’t quite gotten that things have changed...forever.
The ACC has outgrown, literally and figuratively, a city like Greensboro. Like it or not, they’ll have to learn to deal with it.
One of my friends is moving to Charlotte from the Boston area. Any advice/tips you can share... I'll be happy to pass along!

Friday night semi-finals and no former Big East teams in attendance. It's all original ACC. Holding these 2 tourneys in NYC was a gift to SU and we were a non factor in both. So disappointing for our program.

Friday night semi-finals and no former Big East teams in attendance. It's all original ACC. Holding these 2 tourneys in NYC was a gift to SU and we were a non factor in both. So disappointing for our program.

We'll have more bites at the apple (no pun intended).

We've been a non-factor in all 5 ACC Tournaments we've been a part of.
I'm starting to think the location has nothing to do with it.
If we're waiting to show our hand, we need to win it all in Greensboro 2020.

That was quite the article. The reality is that many in the ACC feel this way I'm glad this dude at least had the stones to say it. I love we were watching physical basketball and the refs letting them play. It's amazing the things people can see when it is the only thing they really want to see.

I agree. There are plenty of new and old timers in both leagues who don’t like the change/move. It is what it is. I would much rather have a few physical no-calls then these rock fights and whistles every minute. Much more enjoyable what we have been seeing instead of no flow and each team going to the line 25x +. I wonder if it was a conscious decision by the league to get the scoring up in this Tournament.

North Carolina people butt hurt over their bigoted state. “Our people” = white people. Gross. And racist. How about we “venture out of Greensboro” permanently?

The heat was turned up Thursday when the other league powers showed up. The stakes were higher, and the tension began to show. That's the day the real tournament starts.

That's just the same attitude we used to have at the Big east tourney. The first 2 days was for the Seton Halls, Rutgers, Providences -- the perennial bottom feeders-- to get a game before the conference elites settled the real matters. We usually had a bye to the quarterfinal. Only now in the ACC, except for the first year, we're in the lower echelon group. It's hard to take.

As for team a chant...John Wallace gave us a great one 22 years ago and we refuse to adopt it:

1:08 in.
It'll rock any house.

I'll always like any link to that video. I went with a friend, he's the last one walking off the court in the black beanie, and only one w out a jersey lol. I already got hauled off the court by a cop, because we were the only 2 idiots who rushed the court. It's funny it's in this thread because on the way home, we talked about how it was all Kansas fans and the parking lot at McNichols arena was full of F-150 pickup trucks

Sorry. I thought of pasting the article to save him from getting the clicks, but as a media member myself, it's only fair.
You didn't make me click on it. It's cool.

I love Cuse and was a student there but our cheers are awful. Only lets Go Orange. Somehow the students/cheerleaders need to make a cheer that is simple and all the other townie fans and alumni can easily pick up.
I’m sorry. Keep it simple. Let’s go Orange or We are SU have sufficed this long. Why do I need some cultish sounding bull**** to get loud and support the ‘Cuse? Nope. Not for me.

I’m sorry. Keep it simple. Let’s go Orange or We are SU have sufficed this long. Why do I need some cultish sounding bull**** to get loud and support the ‘Cuse? Nope. Not for me.
Creative opponent specific chants would be cool. We could take notes from Duke. As much as don't like the entitled fans, their student section knows how taunt the other team.

Creative opponent specific chants would be cool. We could take notes from Duke. As much as don't like the entitled fans, their student section knows how taunt the other team.

Disagree. They manage to be both corny and distasteful at the same time. That’s hard to pull off - unless you’re a complete dork who doesn’t know basketball or how to interact with people, like most of them.

This guy is flustered that he can’t fish in NYC and that people are scalping tickets. LOL!
I think he was more disturbed by how cheaply they were being scalped.

North Carolina people butt hurt over their bigoted state. “Our people” = white people. Gross. And racist. How about we “venture out of Greensboro” permanently?
That is a more than a bit unfair to the folks at UNC. While every university has a few pinheads everyone wishes would keep their mouths shut, and it is true that North Carolina's legislature has passed some thoroughly repugnant bills in recent years. However, the political base that has enabled all this could never have qualified for admission at UNC. Thanks to gerrymandering on an unequalled scale, there is disproportionate power in the hands of rural, uneducated constituencies that don't believe in science, and have no grasp of history. Chapel Hill, Cary, Charlotte, etc., are bastions of liberalism by comparison. (Just as a side note: a member of Virginia's House of Delegates authored a bill similar to North Carolina's "bathroom law". It failed to pass, and he lost his seat in November to a member of the transgender community. Reasonable people in the Commonwealth are still alternately rejoicing and laughing at the buffoon.)

One of my friends is moving to Charlotte from the Boston area. Any advice/tips you can share... I'll be happy to pass along!
They’ll be pleasantly surprised at the number of transplants inhabiting the Charlotte-Metrolina area, which stretches all the way to Rock Hill, SC in the South.
Lots of NorthEasterners (NY- Upstate/Downstate, Mass, PA), Mid-Westerners (Ohio, Michigan, lotsa B1G presence), and other Southerners (Florida, LA, SEC presence).
They won’t be homesick, as the saying goes here:”Everyone in Charlotte is from somewhere else”!
The stereotypical old southern racism is pretty rare, at least among the transplants- & as in other SE states, the bigger cities are progressive while the rural areas are where you’ll find the bigoted caricatures.
Also, most people either immediately fall in love w/ Charlotte, or can’t wait to leave it and go back. The vast majority is in the former, but one never knows.