The Walking Dead | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

The Walking Dead

Scarcity is more the cause for lack of gun visibility. It’s also mentioned in earlier seasons that hilltop tries to keep their guns concealed so outsiders can’t measure their true strength.

Guns seem to be last resort by now.

Kind of makes sense.

I also thought of this after my earlier note to Jeremy. No idea what the source material did with respect to guns by the time they got to the Whisperers, but I think that deemphasizing them was a needed plot device to make a "Whisperer war" viable. If the good guys were armed to the teeth and had a near limitless supply of bullets via Eugene, then even a massive group like the Whisperers wouldn't seem that formidable. Even a vastly outnumbered group of allies would just be able to mow vast quantities of them down, while the Whisperers would be sporting knives.

So the more I think about it, the more I think that the ham fisted portrayal of the colonies' return to the primitive state was an example of Checkov's gun, to put them on more equal footing with the new bad guys.

I think during the time jump, with the main threat of the Saviors eliminated, the military industrial complex was deemphasized in favor of infrastructure and food supply. Plus... at this point there's probably not a whole lot of scavenge still available. If you're eating, it's because you farmed it, hunted it, and stored it, and that's about it.

What good are firearms without bullets or raw materials to make them? I get the impression that they've moved on, and Eve out of necessity had to adopt a more primitive lifestyle. That's why the time jump is relevant.
it's easier to reload spent rounds than to build daryl's infinite supply of crossbow bolts

are bolts hard to make? they do a pretty good job of showing him pulling them out after every use and bolts have been around for 2500 years.

are bolts hard to make? they do a pretty good job of showing him pulling them out after every use and bolts have been around for 2500 years.

Probably, but I think that worrying about such details in a fantasy show is overthinking it.

Wait until the new series starts at 10:06. Then you'll really be disappointed.

Again, massive enemy... enormous odds... good guys emerge unacathed.
Ill be looking to put it on in about half an hour. Excited to finally see the conclusion to the war.

not sure how people expected things like that to end. it was closure to make parts of the story.

not sure how people expected things like that to end. it was closure to make parts of the story.

It just seemed too "easy." Reminded me a little of GoT when the white walkers finally got to Winterfell -- the massive build up over several seasons, the irresistible force of the enemy, and then it is over in a flash.

Last night, the good guys only lost one barely recognizable, minor character from Oceanside. I just don't like deus ex machina outcomes [like with Gabriel at the end].

At the end of the day, what made this show so captivating the first 6 or 7 seasons was that it was more character driven. We loved all of the main characters [or at least most of them -- I'm looking at you, Andrea] -- so the prospect of anything happening to them was practically unbearable. They'd be in these impossible situations that had us on the edge of our seats, and the victory always seemed to come at a cost.

I liked the direction the show took with Neegan and crew, but then it became a war. And wars are large scale spectacles with tons of collateral damage -- so the show got a little away from what made is special / unique, as a function of the Savior war. And once you do something, you have to continually go bigger -- so the Whisperer thing felt even another degree of separation from the show's core.

I'm really interested in where things go next. Again, not a bad episode -- there WERE some cool things, like when they were initially moving through the horde, utterly surrounded -- but it just didn't feel like the ending I've come to expect from this particular show.

Edit -- I did like the stuff with Eugene and company at the end, that was very interesting.

Last edited:
Did this show end or something? The last episode I saw was where the tiger died.

They just showed the "COVID Delayed" Season 10 finale.

To be followed by 6 bonus Season 10 episodes next Spring.

To be followed by Season 11 in about a year.

To be followed by more spinoffs and movies than you can count.

They just showed the "COVID Delayed" Season 10 finale.

To be followed by 6 bonus Season 10 episodes next Spring.

To be followed by Season 11 in about a year.

To be followed by more spinoffs and movies than you can count.
Thanks. It went from my favorite show to a show I just felt like I was watching out of a sense of obligation rather than wanting to watch it. It just started to feel really repetitive to me, like they keep running into a group that's EVEN CRAZIER than the last!, fight, rinse, repeat.

How come?
Wasted a good ruthless villain with an inconsequential ending. I haven’t read the comics so I dont know how It happens there, but sheesh it wouldn’t hurt to kill off a bigger character to make things interesting

Welp, given the show's subject matter I can accept an awful lot but tonight's episode with the weird feral people was ridiculously stupid.

Welp, given the show's subject matter I can accept an awful lot but tonight's episode with the weird feral people was ridiculously stupid.
Quit watching 3 or 4 years ago and do not miss it. Think I lasted 2 years longer that I should have.

So, as a horror fan [in general], I'm accustomed to having to suspend disbelief. But I find it impossible to take at face value that a group of people would "de-evolve" in about 8 years to where they are walking on all fours, completely inhuman, etc. Maybe after a couple of generations, but it was too much.

Also difficult to suspend the disbelief over how they kept themselves alive. I mean, hiding in walls is a classic horror trope, but presumably they have to eat once in awhile.

The only thing I liked about it was the one scene where they played off of Connie's deafness when she got separated. Seems like the entire episode was constructed just to make that one cool thing happen.

So, as a horror fan [in general], I'm accustomed to having to suspend disbelief. But I find it impossible to take at face value that a group of people would "de-evolve" in about 8 years to where they are walking on all fours, completely inhuman, etc. Maybe after a couple of generations, but it was too much.

Also difficult to suspend the disbelief over how they kept themselves alive. I mean, hiding in walls is a classic horror trope, but presumably they have to eat once in awhile.

The only thing I liked about it was the one scene where they played off of Connie's deafness when she got separated. Seems like the entire episode was constructed just to make that one cool thing happen.
Yup, all of this.

I've been basically hate-watching for a couple seasons now.

Maybe if more of the original characters were still on the show it would be better. Without Rick, Michonne, CORAL!!, and Maggie (for a couple seasons), we're forced to be interested in too many second-tier characters. Another scene with Eugene looking terrified, wowsa!
This reminds me of the later seasons of ER - overloaded with characters who are better suited as the supporting cast.
I don't fault these actors for wanting to do something different and not sweat in the Georgia summer year after year.

The other part is definitely on the producers. I think that since the Saviors were defeated, they haven't done a great job of of developing enemies as interesting as the Saviors.
The show is also a little too comfortable with killing off major characters. Yeah it's a dangerous world so everybody isn't going to survive but they're diluting the quality of the show.

The comic book series is done. AMC has made hundreds of millions of dollars off this show.
It's the right time to put a fork in it. Put a fork in Chris Hardwick, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom