The Way to Keep Good Players From Jumping to the NBA | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The Way to Keep Good Players From Jumping to the NBA

Agree. It's NEVER gonna happen! Once kids start getting paid by colleges to play sports then you bring in unions, agents, contracts, lawyers, Title IX, Workers Comp, FMLA and so much other stuff the list is endless. It will never happen, college athletes will never get paid. EVER!

It's a nice discussion on Talk Radio or message boards like this but the reality is it will NEVER happen!!!!

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself.

Assuming that the current framework in the NCAA will not change, the improvement in the college game can be driven by the NBA and the NBA Player Association.

As the NBA feels it is better for players to stay at school longer its time to work some creative things into the CBA. They know its better from a development, risk minimization (draft) and marketing perspecetive, so they can take some steps to encourage it.

1. Increase the rookie scale salary significantly for each year you stay in college.. for example if the rookie slot is $1 million, you get paid $750K if you enter as a high schooler, $1million as a frosh, $1.5 million as a soph, $2.0 million as a junior, and $2.5 million as a senior. The raises are more for a lotto pick, and even more for a top 5 pick. At the minimum, you make an extra $0,5 million a year extra for every extra year you stayed in school on your first three year contract. For a senior drafted in the first round, that is worth $4.5 million in total over your first 3 year contract.
2. Allow opt out's one year earlier for a player that entered the NBA only after his junior or senior year.
2. Only the base slot salary countw against the salary cap. So teams don't get punished from a cap perspective by drafting a senior.
3. The pay increases for staying are shared equally by the entire league and are not only borne by the drafting team. After all, this initiative helps get better players into the NBA, more mature players, allows teams to take less risks, and you get players that are more well known entering your league. This should be an initiative that all teams should be happy to fund.
4, Some loan programs from the NBA for those first round quality players whose family are in need, but who want to stick around in the NCAA.

You create a system where:
a) Players who really want to get out after one year because they hate college will still get out and get a nice payday.
b) Players who like the college experience but leave for financial reasons, will be given financial incentives to stick around a bit longer.

We are still stuck with the inherent cheating / academic issues caused by the NCAA system. And you some kids may stick around with manipulated grades.

But I think at a minimum it improves the quality of the NCAA and NBA product, and still provides an opportunity for an athlete to gain a salary earlier if he so desires.

There's talk about including #2 in the next CBA. #1 is interesting but will only lead to Juniors and Seniors being drafted lower so teams don't have to pay extra. It may end up hurting upperclassmen even more.

I like the ideas, but I still feel it is the burden of the NCAA to reward players staying longer.

IMO, these kids trying to become professional athletes are no different than any other kid majoring in what he wants to do for the rest of his life. They are just majoring in a specific sport. Pre-med or pre-law students are trying to make the grade to be good enough to get into law or med school. Some do, some don't but they are both paying for the opportunity. Doesn't the school make revenue from it's prolific graduates? In SU's case, look at the breadcasting professionals they have put out. Do kids try to get into SU's school of broadcasting b/c of the success rate of their graduates? Is SU selective of who they let in? If so, shouldn't these kids be paid for helping make the broadcasting school the name that it is? Where do you draw the line?

Also, if kids got paid to play I assume they would not get a scholarship so they would owe room, board, and tuition. I think, at best, it would be a wash.

You draw the line like this: Will the broadcasting school PAY the student to become a student at Syracuse? They probably won't since one single student (or 13) won't increase the revenue of the broadcasting program. Although I could imagine a kid who is a phenom in high school for broadcasting with a lot of media attention, might get offered money to attend Syracuse if it was allowed.

Will the basketball programs pay money to a recruit if it was allowed? If the answer is yes (and with so much "shady" stuff going on today, I'd say it's a definite yes), then they should be allowed to. Otherwise you are denying the young adult a chance to earn money that he would be able to earn.

The same people in denial that colleges are willing to pay players are making "Pay Pal Cal" jokes in other threads for years. See the logical hypocrisy? On one hand you're denying colleges would ever pay kids, but on the other you're accusing schools of paying kids. In that case, would it not make sense to say that if it was allowed that some schools would pay money for some recruits? Why are we disallowing it? Because we hate to see 18 year olds make more money in a year than we ever will? I think there is a subconscious "they don't deserve it because they're too young and stupid" bias going on with a lot of people, that refuses to let them see the economic reality.

Also, why wouldn't they also get tuition, room, and board? The money they get paid would be on top of their tuition, room, and board. What player would go to a school that pays him and doesn't cover tuition? The point of paying players is to lure them to play for the school. People seem to take this to mean they are going to use it to screw the player somehow. It's the opposite.

2. Maybe you can't think of one economic reason (it's interesting you chose to boil down to only economics by the way), but not all reasons have to be economic. I know that some people thing economics rule all. I believe that is not the case.

I like how you try to take the rug from under my argument by practically saying "there's more to life than economics", but then don't offer any non-economic reasons.

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself.

Also, why wouldn't they also get tuition, room, and board? The money they get paid would be on top of their tuition, room, and board. What player would go to a school that pays him and doesn't cover tuition? The point of paying players is to lure them to play for the school. People seem to take this to mean they are going to use it to screw the player somehow. It's the opposite.

Don't need to convince myself, I live in reality!! Once you cut them a paycheck they aren't students any longer they are employees. And they entitled to every benefit every other employee at a school/University (secretary, professor, janitor, dean..etc.) has. It's easy to say ...just pay them. But the reality of it is much different. Because paying them and making them an employee means as we already stated...Unions, Agents, Contracts,lawyers, FMLA, Health Insurance, 401K, retirement plans, workers comp and everything else that goes with being EMPLOYED at a business. That isn't even bringing up TITLE IX which is the first impossible road block to get around. And then OTHER employees of the school who don't get FREE room and board...why not give them free living quarters on campus? If other paid employees (ie athletes) are getting it, why not them?! There is a lawsuit against the school right there! Which is why if you pay them you don't give them FREE room and board and you make them purchase it. Oh and by the way that big money these athletes get paid by the school in your crazy scenario must also be TAXED! So, after taxes, after paying for books, food, room, tuition and everything else...how much will be left over for them to have fun with? Not much! They have a better deal now just being on "scholarship." THAT's the reality of the situation!

Last edited:
That isn't even bringing up TITLE IX which is the first impossible road block to get around

That's a pretty big stretch to say TITLE IX would somehow be an issue. Besides, laws are not carved in stone. Unprecedented cases require rulings and additional laws. Having laws should not be reason not to pay the players.

I think the players should be paid. They are unpaid employees in my opinion. The coaching staff is their boss and management. Top schools make millions off the athletes. I think it's exploitation on some level. The physics professor doesn't bring in millions of dollars every time she publishes some insanely arcane trivial observation on the behavior of quarks. Sorry to break this to you but "Syracuse University" is a brand just like Nike, NBA, and NFL.

I think the players should be paid. They are unpaid employees in my opinion. The coaching staff is their boss and management. Top schools make millions off the athletes. I think it's exploitation on some level. The physics professor doesn't bring in millions of dollars every time she publishes some insanely arcane trivial observation on the behavior of quarks. Sorry to break this to you but "Syracuse University" is a brand just like Nike, NBA, and NFL.

NOBODY forces any student to go to college to play ball in any sport. Go play semi-pro or go play overseas or don't play at all if you don't like the NCAA system!! There is no rule you have to play for a college. Nobody put a gun to a players head and forced them to play college ball! When they sign their scholarship they know what they are signing up for. If ya don't like it, don't sign it and do something else with your life!

In the current system, Syracuse University and EVERY other school will always have guys and girls willing to play and get a free education under the current set-up as is! That's a 100% fact! The athletes are in no position to demand anything, they have no leverage!

I like how you try to take the rug from under my argument by practically saying "there's more to life than economics", but then don't offer any non-economic reasons.
Good. I'm glad you like it. If I have to explain it, you can't or don't want to understand it.

The athletes are in no position to demand anything, they have no leverage!

The fact that O'Bannon case is happening kind of proves you wrong. The fact that the NCAA no longer puts out video games kind of proves you wrong as well. Clearly somebody thinks there SOME leverage.

NOBODY forces any student to go to college to play ball in any sport. Go play semi-pro or go play overseas or don't play at all if you don't like the NCAA system!! There is no rule you have to play for a college. Nobody put a gun to a players head and forced them to play college ball! When they sign their scholarship they know what they are signing up for. If ya don't like it, don't sign it and do something else with your life!

In the current system, Syracuse University and EVERY other school will always have guys and girls willing to play and get a free education under the current set-up as is! That's a 100% fact! The athletes are in no position to demand anything, they have no leverage!

Totally agree. College ball is a great opportunity for nearly all of these kids. Free education, free room and board. Free coaching. Great platform to showcase their talent and get better. Go play in Brazil or Europe if you don't want to play college ball. That's a real job, unlike college. Go play in the d league. 99% don't get drafted and only half of the ones that do even make a team. Colleges aren't getting rich off of any one player or players. The best kids play 1-2 years. People are paying to see the names of the front of the jersey, not the ones on the back. If the kids are worth getting paid, they will get paid at the pro level.

Why don't you just go all the way and say all workers "are in no position to demand anything." You sure had a lot of exclamation points in your post. The Japanese have a saying, "The first person to raise their voice in an argument loses." Obviously you have a very strong opinion.

Last edited:
The fact that O'Bannon case is happening kind of proves you wrong. The fact that the NCAA no longer puts out video games kind of proves you wrong as well. Clearly somebody thinks there SOME leverage.
No it doesn't at all. Video games is a very small part of the big picture of "paying athletes."

Guess what, Video game companies will stop making games using the likeness of these players, ok. Done. Doesn't mean every college has to start paying athletes across the board. That is a big leap!!

Want don't you just go all the way and say all workers "are in no position to demand anything." You sure had a lot of exclamation points in your post. The Japanese have a saying, "The first person to raise their voice in an argument loses." Obviously you have a very strong opinion.
You aren't talking about workers...you are talking about STUDENTS! That's the difference. If workers at UPS, or GM, or Delta go in a demand that is different. They are paid employees. We are talking about STUDENTS here. It's a bad analogy on your part.

P.S...we aren't in Japan Stay on topic don't derail the thread

You aren't talking about workers...you are talking about STUDENTS! That's the difference. If workers at UPS, or GM, or Delta go in a demand that is different. They are paid employees. We are talking about STUDENTS here. It's a bad analogy on your part.

P.S...we aren't in Japan Stay on topic don't derail the thread

The students seem to be claiming their lives get consumed by the commitment to their sport over everything else. It sounds like a job to me.

The students seem to be claiming their lives get consumed by the commitment to their sport over everything else. It sounds like a job to me.
Then quit! Don't play college sports. It isn't jail. They are free to leave at any time. If they don't want to be in school and be tied to the hours of commitment of school work and sport that is required to get that scholarship, then just quit. Problem solved.

Then quit! Don't play college sports. It isn't jail. They are free to leave at any time. If they don't want to be in school and be tied to the hours of commitment of school work and sport that is required to get that scholarship, then just quit. Problem solved.

Are you one of those people who think the 13th Amendment is unconstitutional?

No it doesn't at all. Video games is a very small part of the big picture of "paying athletes."

Guess what, Video game companies will stop making games using the likeness of these players, ok. Done. Doesn't mean every college has to start paying athletes across the board. That is a big leap!!

I personally don't think colleges should pay. I do think players should be able to make money off their likeness and celebrity.

I personally don't think colleges should pay. I do think players should be able to make money off their likeness and celebrity.
That's fair! I agree

Let me get this logic straight:
Students are NOT workers
Workers at UPS, GM, Delta CAN demand money because they are employees
Dave85 makes an argument that these particular students can be seen as employees
Students CAN QUIT IF THEY DON"T LIKE IT!
But why didn't you say the same thing about the workers?

So what you're saying is that professional workers should be allowed to demand money, but even if a student can be proven to legally be a working employee, then they are still not entitled to those rights.

I think I am starting to get to the core of a lot of people's emotional arguments (since nobody's logic has really made sense so far when broken down). People don't have a problem with athletes getting paid, they have a problem with STUDENTS getting paid. For some reason people are subconsciously seeing students as inferior to regular, working people. I think people see students as unworthy of getting paid good money, thus the "they should be happy with free tuition" (which I find to be incredibly condescending).

This explains the root of a lot of arguments. Not sure WHY they are seeing them as inferior. Perhaps having "student-athlete" crammed in our heads for years gave us an inkling of "put your head down little boy and get to work and when you're old enough you can get paid" to it. Perhaps we see college kids as immature partiers who are not ready for the real world.

I think what upset people about my OP (and why people started saying my idea was "ridiculous" without an explanation) is that paying college students a lot of money rubs them the wrong way. I think people need to reflect on why that is, and if it is right.

Let me get this logic straight:
Students are NOT workers
Workers at UPS, GM, Delta CAN demand money because they are employees
Dave85 makes an argument that these particular students can be seen as employees
Students CAN QUIT IF THEY DON"T LIKE IT!
But why didn't you say the same thing about the workers?

First off Dave85's argument is silly and I have dismissed it. So I can't go off his silly premise. But to the bigger point, workers can quit too. Who said otherwise? Not me. If you don't like your situation quit. You are asking for "select" students (ie athletes) to demand to be paid. That's ridiculous on every level. They have no leverage to ask and are in no position to win that battle. At a company an EMPLOYEE was hired for a special skill set they have and has been an employee from day 1. So they have the right and some leverage to demand certain things. If they don't get what they want they can quit too if they feel strongly enough about it. Students sign a scholarship...they know what they signed up for. Nobody forced them to sign it, they are doing it of their own free will. To then turn and say I don't want to be a student any longer, pay me because I am an athlete but don't pay other students, just pay the athletes is absurd! It's not gonna happen!

Trying to compare paid employees who were hired as employees to students who signed onto a college as a student is comical. If a student wants to make money...leave school, and take your skill/trade in whatever sport you are in somewhere and get paid for it. There is nothing stopping them from doing that. You can't have your cake and eat it to. When you sign a scholarship to get FREE room, FREE housing and all the other perks that come with it to go to a university to play a sport ...you know the rules that go with it. Some or most of those rules may be silly and stupid, but they are the rules. You know what you are getting into and what the rules are before you sign that scholarship. If you don't like them...then don't sign the scholarship. You can't sign the scholarship knowing what you signed then turn and say pay me I don't agree with this.

You want college "athletes" to be paid. fine. Here is the ONLY way it will work. They aren't students, they are now paid employees. Scholarships go out the window and are no more. The college pays these "athletes" a salary. Since its a salary (either yearly or maybe its 3 or 4 years binding contract, who knows) the college could word it to "prevent" students from jumping to the pros before the contract is expired. Because you are now a "paid athlete" the NCAA under this new pie in the sky system is no different than a major professional sports league. So if you sign a 3 year deal with Ohio St for basketball, and after your freshmen year you have a big year and want to jump to the pros...too bad, Ohio St owns your rights the next 2 years. You signed a deal and got paid! Those days of "jumping to the pros" are over. So, this money the "athlete" is getting paid is now taxed and since im guessing this still is "college sports" they need to be enrolled in the college to qualify to play. So, now the "employee" with their salary, after taxes must pay for room, board, food, they are going to unionize so take union dues out and everything else I am not mentioning as an expense, nothing is free anymore because they are employees. Since these college and major universities aren't cheap...that's gonna cost some. And because of TITLE IX, you can't cherry pick which athletes you pay. Because if you pay some athletes and not all, well there is a line of lawyers waiting to take that case. Slam dunk win for them. So they all must get paid, from woman's field hockey to soccer to track and all of the above. So the "athletes" are going to have to sign a contract, pay for everything themselves, and be tied to the terms of the contract. That's would be the only legal way to have a new system in place. So who is gonna make out better in the long-run in that system, the "athletes" or the "university"...trust me its the university, Student Athletes in this country have the best deal going today, if they want to kick it to the curb and change the system, its short-sided thinking they are only hurting themselves. But it s never going to happen, been talked about for years but there is no legal and logical way to make it work.

Last edited:
First off Dave85's argument is silly and I have dismissed it. So I can't go off his silly premise.

I mean, I see your entire response filled with swiss cheese holes. What's frustrating is how you label things and then create absolutes "this will NEVER happen" when the real world is not made of absolutes. You strike me as a person who puts his fingers in his/her ears and screams "la la la".

First off, there is nothing silly about Dave85's premise. You label it "silly" then dismiss it without explanation. Are we in middle school debate class?

Let's take what you say point by point.

But to the bigger point, workers can quit too. Who said otherwise? Not me. If you don't like your situation quit. You are asking for "select" students (ie athletes) to demand to be paid. That's ridiculous on every level. They have no leverage to ask and are in no position to win that battle. At a company an EMPLOYEE was hired for a special skill set they have and has been an employee from day 1. So they have the right and some leverage to demand certain things. If they don't get what they want they can quit too if they feel strongly enough about it. Students sign a scholarship...they know what they signed up for. Nobody forced them to sign it, they are doing it of their own free will. To then turn and say I don't want to be a student any longer, pay me because I am an athlete but don't pay other students, just pay the athletes is absurd! It's not gonna happen!

The only reasons athletes have no leverage to demand money is because of the piece of paper they sign every year from the NCAA saying that they are not allowed to. If the courts rule it is unconstitutional, then all of a sudden students CAN demand money. You see how this works? Change the rules and suddenly it's not so "ridiculous on every level".

People seem to forget that back in the day somebody just made up the rules, and if the right people choose, they can just change the rules all over again (or just make changes/exceptions). Anything is possible. Same thing goes for Title IX. All the people ripping their hair out saying "THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE OF TITLE IX!!!!!" forget that just as easily as they created Title IX, they can make changes to it based on certain situations.

People seem to think that just because there is a rock in the middle of the road, it's there forever. Well, we can always just get rid of it.

Trying to compare paid employees who were hired as employees to students who signed onto a college as a student is comical. If a student wants to make money...leave school, and take your skill/trade in whatever sport you are in somewhere and get paid for it. There is nothing stopping them from doing that. You can't have your cake and eat it to. When you sign a scholarship to get FREE room, FREE housing and all the other perks that come with it to go to a university to play a sport ...you know the rules that go with it. Some or most of those rules may be silly and stupid, but they are the rules. You know what you are getting into and what the rules are before you sign that scholarship. If you don't like them...then don't sign the scholarship. You can't sign the scholarship knowing what you signed then turn and say pay me I don't agree with this.

You label a lot of things as "comical, silly and stupid" without offering too deep an explanation. Your argument style is "you can't do X because of Y, and because of that X is silly". A lot of talk, very little actually said. You also have an unusual amount of emotion tied up in your questionable logic, which makes it difficult to debate with you.

This entire paragraph was based on your faulty premise from the previous paragraph. Nothing said here.

You want college "athletes" to be paid. fine. Here is the ONLY way it will work. They aren't students, they are now paid employees. Scholarships go out the window and are no more. The college pays these "athletes" a salary. Since its a salary (either yearly or maybe its 3 or 4 years binding contract, who knows) the college could word it to "prevent" students from jumping to the pros before the contract is expired. Because you are now a "paid athlete" the NCAA under this new pie in the sky system is no different than a major professional sports league. So if you sign a 3 year deal with Ohio St for basketball, and after your freshmen year you have a big year and want to jump to the pros...too bad, Ohio St owns your rights the next 2 years. You signed a deal and got paid! Those days of "jumping to the pros" are over. So, this money the "athlete" is getting paid is now taxed and since im guessing this still is "college sports" they need to be enrolled in the college to qualify to play. So, now the "employee" with their salary, after taxes must pay for room, board, food, they are going to unionize so take union dues out and everything else I am not mentioning as an expense, nothing is free anymore because they are employees. Since these college and major universities aren't cheap...that's gonna cost some. And because of TITLE IX, you can't cherry pick which athletes you pay. Because if you pay some athletes and not all, well there is a line of lawyers waiting to take that case. Slam dunk win for them. So they all must get paid, from woman's field hockey to soccer to track and all of the above. So the "athletes" are going to have to sign a contract, pay for everything themselves, and be tied to the terms of the contract. That's would be the only legal way to have a new system in place. So who is gonna make out better in the long-run in that system, the "athletes" or the "university"...trust me its the university, Student Athletes in this country have the best deal going today, if they want to kick it to the curb and change the system, its short-sided thinking they are only hurting themselves. But it s never going to happen, been talked about for years but there is no legal and logical way to make it work.

Really? This is the ONLY way it will work? The one and only, and no other possible way in the entire universe? Wow, what a black and white world we live in!

You sound like you're trying to scare people out of this. Yes, they can include terms in contracts. Yes, they might potentially screw kids over. But something you forgot, the kids will have agents and lawyers who will be paid to make sure that they are not getting screwed too bad. And if a college wants a high-level recruit really bad, they might need to eliminate the 4 year contract, and have an opt-out option every year. Goes both ways my friend. I think people are going to be shocked how much leverage college recruits are going to have over schools. Wiggins-type players will be treated like Carmelo is being treated this week. Roll out the red carpet.

You remind me of a condescending parent talking to a teenager "Oh you want to get rid of your bicycle and get a car? Well did you know about car insurance, huh? Bet you didn't. Did you know about oil changes, changing tires, drinking and driving, car accidents, etc.". Yes, change comes with potential problems. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Most problems get straightened out over time. Kids learn defensive driving, pay their car insurance, and wear their seat belt eventually. People adapt.

You offer a couple scary possible situations, claim it is the ONLY thing that could happen, then say "Student-athletes" have a way better deal.

I won't be debating with you anymore. You're more interested in fear-mongering and emotional arguments. I don't do emotional arguments. Sorry.

Or, alternatively:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 70
eman77ster said:
I mean, I see your entire response filled with swiss cheese holes. What's frustrating is how you label things and then create absolutes "this will NEVER happen" when the real world is not made of absolutes. You strike me as a person who puts his fingers in his/her ears and screams "la la la". First off, there is nothing silly about Dave85's premise. You label it "silly" then dismiss it without explanation. Are we in middle school debate class? Let's take what you say point by point. The only reasons athletes have no leverage to demand money is because of the piece of paper they sign every year from the NCAA saying that they are not allowed to. If the courts rule it is unconstitutional, then all of a sudden students CAN demand money. You see how this works? Change the rules and suddenly it's not so "ridiculous on every level". People seem to forget that back in the day somebody just made up the rules, and if the right people choose, they can just change the rules all over again (or just make changes/exceptions). Anything is possible. Same thing goes for Title IX. All the people ripping their hair out saying "THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE OF TITLE IX!!!!!" forget that just as easily as they created Title IX, they can make changes to it based on certain situations. People seem to think that just because there is a rock in the middle of the road, it's there forever. Well, we can always just get rid of it. You label a lot of things as "comical, silly and stupid" without offering too deep an explanation. Your argument style is "you can't do X because of Y, and because of that X is silly". A lot of talk, very little actually said. You also have an unusual amount of emotion tied up in your questionable logic, which makes it difficult to debate with you. This entire paragraph was based on your faulty premise from the previous paragraph. Nothing said here. Really? This is the ONLY way it will work? The one and only, and no other possible way in the entire universe? Wow, what a black and white world we live in! You sound like you're trying to scare people out of this. Yes, they can include terms in contracts. Yes, they might potentially screw kids over. But something you forgot, the kids will have agents and lawyers who will be paid to make sure that they are not getting screwed too bad. And if a college wants a high-level recruit really bad, they might need to eliminate the 4 year contract, and have an opt-out option every year. Goes both ways my friend. I think people are going to be shocked how much leverage college recruits are going to have over schools. Wiggins-type players will be treated like Carmelo is being treated this week. Roll out the red carpet. You remind me of a condescending parent talking to a teenager "Oh you want to get rid of your bicycle and get a car? Well did you know about car insurance, huh? Bet you didn't. Did you know about oil changes, changing tires, drinking and driving, car accidents, etc.". Yes, change comes with potential problems. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Most problems get straightened out over time. Kids learn defensive driving, pay their car insurance, and wear their seat belt eventually. People adapt. You offer a couple scary possible situations, claim it is the ONLY thing that could happen, then say "Student-athletes" have a way better deal. I won't be debating with you anymore. You're more interested in fear-mongering and emotional arguments. I don't do emotional arguments. Sorry.

You'd have a better argument if you were pushing for the NBA to have a minor league system like MLB.

I feel like a lot of people would be turned off of college sports of the athletes were getting paid.

The original post is basically creating another NBA... only a lot sh^^tier.

I feel like a lot of people would be turned off of college sports of the athletes were getting paid.

Agree! Because it wouldn't be college sports any longer. The NCAA would be a professional sports league with paid athletes and a CBA and all of the nonsense that pro sports has. The "charm" of college sports would be no more. It becomes minor league sports! Couldn't you see on the eve of March Madness a top player holding out and demanding more money? Being upset with their contract and having his agent wanting a new deal that day? Crap like that.

A lot of people turn to college sports because they are tired of the millionaire athletes. God forbid we should give these kids a free education, the horror that these college kids are broke.