The Way to Keep Good Players From Jumping to the NBA | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The Way to Keep Good Players From Jumping to the NBA

A lot of people turn to college sports because they are tired of the millionaire athletes. God forbid we should give these kids a free education, the horror that these college kids are broke.

Why? Do people turn to local theater instead of watching movies because they are tired of millionaire actors. That type of mindset is just odd to me.

Why? Do people turn to local theater instead of watching movies because they are tired of millionaire actors. That type of mindset is just odd to me.

Not everyone, I like both pro and college, but some like the purity of the college game.

I personally don't think colleges should pay. I do think players should be able to make money off their likeness and celebrity.

That's an interesting point. Players could sign a licensing deal along with the school to a sanctioned NCAA merchandiser. I just like the idea of the players getting something more for all their hard work and celebrity status.

Probably not, but there are people who are naive enough to think it is.

It's kind of like government. I expect my government to be absolutely corrupt. That way I am not shocked by any so called scandals. I will tell you this though. Most of the cameras in Atlantic City are watching the money dealers and NOT the customers for a reason!!!!

I think what upset people about my OP (and why people started saying my idea was "ridiculous" without an explanation) is that paying college students a lot of money rubs them the wrong way. I think people need to reflect on why that is said:
I think most people realize the college kids already get paid in the form of a scholarship and free room and board. 99% of those kids couldn't get a better deal than that right out of high school. If they could they would choose something else. Most people have to go to college or a trade school to pay their dues. College players are no different. If they want to play pro ball, go play pro ball. College ball is college ball. It's not a right to play college basketball. It's a privilege. When reality sets in after school, 80-90% move on to something else, some play overseas for $65k and others play in the D league for $26k a year. These kids may get a stipend someday, but they won't get paid. Nor should they.