The Winfred Walton All-Stars | Syracusefan.com

The Winfred Walton All-Stars

jekelish

Living Legend
Earlier today, I started thinking about the players who never worked out at Syracuse. The most notable is, of course, Winfred Walton, but there have been many others who either couldn't live up to the hype, or just couldn't make it to the program in the first place. I decided to write something up about SOME of these guys, just for fun...obviously, some people were left out, as I tried to keep this to a certain criteria in my own head (in particularly, never playing more than a full season for SU).

If you feel like reading, well, super! If not...I'll forgive you eventually, I guess.

http://.com/the-winfred-walton-all-stars/

Nice shoutout to your homies.

Anthony Harris. A walk down memory lane.

Nice shoutout to your homies.

Anthony Harris. A walk down memory lane.
Honestly I was just thinking about it and realizing I was reading - and not posting - you people when I was a freshman in high school. Never posted until I got to SU, though.

Good article. LaSean Howard is a name I would add. Plucked from a powerhouse program, Toledo Scott, which is more OSU/MSU territory. He looked like a good athlete but I don't remember what happened to him or why he left. He was a Top 30 or 50 guy I believe.

Good article. LaSean Howard is a name I would add. Plucked from a powerhouse program, Toledo Scott, which is more OSU/MSU territory. He looked like a good athlete but I don't remember what happened to him or why he left. He was a Top 30 or 50 guy I believe.
Yep - he just missed the cut. I remember being super excited about him. Was he in the same class as Walton, I think?

Winifred Walton is by far the most misspelled name in SU basketball history.

Great article, Jekelish.

Nice article. Bobby lazor and Eric Williams come to mind as well to add a couple more.

Winifred Walton is by far the most misspelled name in SU basketball history.

Great article, Jekelish.
Thanks...also, I can't tell if you're being serious about the Winifred part...since it's 100% Winfred.

He should have made the list. In terms of missed potential he is probably #2 after Winfred.
Man, I can't believe I've never heard of Karlton Hines before. I guess I was too young when he was recruited.

Thanks...also, I can't tell if you're being serious about the Winifred part...since it's 100% Winfred.

Hmm... well now I have to figure this out instead of doing real work this morning. I could have sworn that it was spelled Winifred, but just commonly misspelled as Winfred, similar to how everyone misspells Dwyane Wade's name.

Hmm... well now I have to figure this out instead of doing real work this morning. I could have sworn that it was spelled Winifred, but just commonly misspelled as Winfred, similar to how everyone misspells Dwyane Wade's name.
I mean, it's spelled Winfred everywhere I've looked...like, literally every since thing I've ever read about him. Unless it got misspelled when he was in high school and was just accepted by the media as Winfred.

We had a territory manager from the Boston area in town a few weeks ago. He is a huge Conn fan, unfortunately. Anyway - after a few jabs back and forth about cuse-conn he says, I doubt you remember this guy, but I went to high school with Mark Konencny. He was part of the recruiting class pre-Melo.

He said Mark was very bone headed.

that 96 or 97 recruiting class and the 02 recruiting class reminded me a lot of each other. Both basically brought in a starting 5 of pg, sg, sf, pf, c. And both lost some key pieces.

We had a territory manager from the Boston area in town a few weeks ago. He is a huge Conn fan, unfortunately. Anyway - after a few jabs back and forth about cuse-conn he says, I doubt you remember this guy, but I went to high school with Mark Konencny. He was part of the recruiting class pre-Melo.

He said Mark was very bone headed.
Yep - he's on the list. I remember his recruitment and that whole thing very well. I remember he left SU amid rumors he'd somehow been involved in a sexual assault on campus. Specifically, as a witness to the one Billy Edelin was accused of having committed that year.

Tiki Mayben once a top 10 recruit you got him on there already)
http://www.onebidwonders.com/2011/04/28/former-america-east-players-suiting-up-in-albany/

Mike Jones has to get a mention a freshmen with paul harris. I remember him knocking down i think 4 midrange jumpers in one game. I turned to my friend and said he could turn out better then paul harris. I believe that was the game where Harris had his first full court monster dunk that everyone raved about. Man I miss having a strong guard like harris take the ball to the rim. Would love to have another with a build like him but with better dribbling skills and a jumper.

dashonte riley and sean williams projects but both 7 feet.

Last edited:
Earlier today, I started thinking about the players who never worked out at Syracuse. The most notable is, of course, Winfred Walton, but there have been many others who either couldn't live up to the hype, or just couldn't make it to the program in the first place. I decided to write something up about SOME of these guys, just for fun...obviously, some people were left out, as I tried to keep this to a certain criteria in my own head (in particularly, never playing more than a full season for SU).

If you feel like reading, well, super! If not...I'll forgive you eventually, I guess.

http://.com/the-winfred-walton-all-stars/

Herman Harried.

Dunbar High School.

Suffered bad knee injury before his sophomore year and was never the same...

blocked at work for me...a couple of guys from the 70s/80s: Cliff Warwell and Ron Payton

If you do a list for Football go with the: Idris Price All Stars

blocked at work for me...a couple of guys from the 70s/80s: Cliff Warwell and Ron Payton

We're blocked!? That's weird. I guess it's all that illicit material I publish.

And obviously, Chad Elliott is the QB of that football team.

Payton was ok. Averaged over 10 ppg his senior year. I think Warwell is appropriate as he only played a year.

Man, I can't believe I've never heard of Karlton Hines before. I guess I was too young when he was recruited.

Top 10 recruit out of NYC in class of 1990 [same class as Shaquille O'Neal and Kenny Anderson], supposed to be a great shooter and strong inside scorer taking it to the rack. Versatile SF, who could do it all.

Unfortunately, he was also a drug dealer who killed someone and derailed his career, and eventually was killed by rival gang members.

Somebody made a documentary about it--it's about an hour long. Captivating for those of us who remember this crazy situation.