The Winfred Walton All-Stars | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Winfred Walton All-Stars

Have not been as excited about a recruiting class as I am this year, since the class with Walton, Lloyd, Howard, Thomas, and Hart. Hopefully 3 members of this class don't transfer to other schools.

Tiki Mayben once a top 10 recruit you got him on there already)
http://www.onebidwonders.com/2011/04/28/former-america-east-players-suiting-up-in-albany/

Mike Jones has to get a mention a freshmen with paul harris. I remember him knocking down i think 4 midrange jumpers in one game. I turned to my friend and said he could turn out better then paul harris. I believe that was the game where Harris had his first full court monster dunk that everyone raved about. Man I miss having a strong guard like harris take the ball to the rim. Would love to have another with a build like him but with better dribbling skills and a jumper.

dashonte riley and sean williams projects but both 7 feet.
Who?

I don't think Harris was ever even close to be considered a guard. That was his problem. He was a 6-4 PF. Didn't work, especially for our system.
During his soph year, he was forced to play 2G when Devendorf hurt his knee. IMHO it was his best ball of his career. He was so stong, opposing guards had a tough time guarding him. If he had a better outside shot, he would have been a really good 2G. As a 3, he was to small especially on the back of the zone. Plus he got the bad case of the dumbs too often.

I didn't see DeShawn Williams on that list. I believe he was a top 25 recruit. Also, Michael Brown was supposed to be a top notch shooter out of Dunbar.

I didn't see DeShawn Williams on that list. I believe he was a top 25 recruit. Also, Michael Brown was supposed to be a top notch shooter out of Dunbar.
Because DeShaun was here for 3 years and definitely made an impact, both on the court and with Otto's face.

Good article. LaSean Howard is a name I would add. Plucked from a powerhouse program, Toledo Scott, which is more OSU/MSU territory. He looked like a good athlete but I don't remember what happened to him or why he left. He was a Top 30 or 50 guy I believe.

I was sure this kid was goinna be a star when I was a kid. Oh well.

I don't think Rock Lloyd made the McDonald's team in '96, but I did have high hopes for him as a player. Very Anthony Harris-like: big scoring guard who got overshadowed by a classmate (who'd become a four-year fan favorite) and chose to bail.

Other than Walton (who could've made us a completely different team in '97 if he hadn't cheated on his SAT), Duncan's the biggest "what if" player on that list. I wish he'd hit that shot against Rhode Island...those three seasons could've turned out very differently if we'd made a tournament run in 1988 and he'd decided to come back and play with the best team in the country in 1989 and 1990.
so did I...so did I.

Anyone remember Art Long from Rochester? How did he end up not coming here?

Always seemed like a great guy.

I mean he got arrested for punching a horse once. How awesome is that? Stupid horses just do what they want and nobody is ever man enough to step-up and punch them in their stupid faces. That is, until Art Long came along. Kudos, my man, kudos.

I think he was recently arrested for drugs and guns too. I assume the guns were to protect himself from wild horses, and the drugs well, once you've had to fight a horse - who wouldn't need some drugs?

He did have a brief stint in the NBA though after finishing up at the Univ. of Cincy.

I mean he got arrested for punching a horse once. How awesome is that? Stupid horses just do what they want and nobody is ever man enough to step-up and punch them in their stupid faces. That is, until Art Long came along. Kudos, my man, kudos.

I mean, it's spelled Winfred everywhere I've looked...like, literally every since thing I've ever read about him. Unless it got misspelled when he was in high school and was just accepted by the media as Winfred.
Rumor had it that it was misspelled on his SAT exam. Evidently it caught someones attention.

Payton was ok. Averaged over 10 ppg his senior year. I think Warwell is appropriate as he only played a year.
Two guys who came in the same year as Payton and transferred out after their freshman year were Eddie Gooding and Rick Harmon. I think Gooding ended up at Iona and Harmon blew out his knee after transferring to ODU.

How about a couple of Sams that almost came here. Bowie out of Lebanon PA ended up at Kentucky and Perkins (UNC). And Red Bruin's best friend Sidney Green. Before that Luther "Ticky" Burden out of Albany and Bob Lanier.

Two guys who came in the same year as Payton and transferred out after their freshman year were Eddie Gooding and Rick Harmon. I think Gooding ended up at Iona and Harmon blew out his knee after transferring to ODU.

How about a couple of Sams that almost came here. Bowie out of Lebanon PA ended up at Kentucky and Perkins (UNC). And Red Bruin's best friend Sidney Green. Before that Luther "Ticky" Burden out of Albany and Bob Lanier.
That might make for an interesting article. "The ones that got away."

How can you forget DaShonte Riley that 7 foot shot blocking machine who transferred to Eastern Michigan?
Other infamous big men: Ethan Cole, Eric Williams, Erik Rodgers. Wow, we've had a lot of these.
I didn't forget DaShonte - he played long enough at SU that I didn't think he fit my criteria (players expected to make an impact, but who either didn't get here or didn't stick around long enough to really make a go at it). As far as Ethan Cole...I think there's only one person who ever thought he would make a legitimate impact. I know I never expected a kid who couldn't score double figures in the America East to ever get on the floor for SU.

Whoa! What an amazing and sad situation. It was a name I had forgotten - because I had not heard the rest of the story.
Nice post jekelish

After reading that article about Wilfred Kiekaldy, I was motivated to find out what happened to him. What happened is quite amazing. He did lose the leg. But he graduated from WVU and is now a teacher for the Archdiocese of New York and a motivational speaker. http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Wilfred-Kirkaldy/1325134802

Last edited:
I was sure this kid was goinna be a star when I was a kid. Oh well.

Lesean Howard transferred to Hampton and had a decent career with them. He actually left with Rock Lloyd for Long Beach St to join Wayne Morgan, former SU assistant. He redshirted there but never played leaving for Hampton University in Va.

After reading that article about Wilfred Kiekaldy, I was motivated to find out what happened to him. What happened is quite amazing. He did lose the leg. But he graduated from WVU and is now a teacher for the Archdiocese of New York and a motivational speaker. http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Wilfred-Kirkaldy/1325134802

Amazing story - sad but It's wonderful what he's doing now.

Agree, we couldn't use harris as a guard because Devendorf and flynn were ahead of him. That was a no brainer.
I agree with that. When we had all of those injuries Harris's sophomore year, he got forced into playing the 2G position. He obviously wasn't a consitent shooter, but he had a really nice finish to that season, and was a really problematic matchup problem who drew a TON of fouls and got to the line a lot because he could overpower people off of the dribble. And whereas he was somewhat overmatched on the back line of the zone [as great of a rebounder as he was, and he WAS great for his size, a lot of teams were able to steal rebounds over the top of him], he would have been fantastic atop the zone.

His best position probably would have been 2G. But he wasn't playing that here with Devendorf / Rautins also being here, so he got miscast as an undersized 3. Would be interesting to see what might have happened if Harris had been able to play his entire career at the 2.

But, defensively he could have been a guard, nba teams were looking to draft him on defense.

He really had good floor vision, explosiveness and a decent dribble. Being a 2g and getting more plays like the triche/cooney back door cut would have worked great for him, but he wasn't getting those as a sf. We run our motion different for forwards then guards.

Of course he also left as a JR let us not forget that. Would have been interesting to see him play some backcourt with sophmore scoop and freshmen triche next to wes and andy.

I think he was recently arrested for drugs and guns too. I assume the guns were to protect himself from wild horses, and the drugs well, once you've had to fight a horse - who wouldn't need some drugs?

He did have a brief stint in the NBA though after finishing up at the Univ. of Cincy.
Long has a real grudge against Boeheim. He is a frequent caller into a Rochester Sports show and slams JB every time. I didn't know if he ever was recruited by SU and figure his grudge was that he wasn't.