The wisdom of Butch Jones | Syracusefan.com

The wisdom of Butch Jones

SoBristol

All Conference
In Dave Rahme's article today, Cincinnati's coach nails it:

It's a line of scrimmage game -- we won up front

Players made great plays around him (Munchie) today . . .

Our special teams were outstanding . . . we were able to flip field position

There it is. Not QB play. Not play-calling. Not schemes. But line of scrimmage (which includes LBs & blocking TEs in my book), play-makers helping the QB, and specials.

There it is. Not QB play. Not play-calling. Not schemes. But line of scrimmage (which includes LBs & blocking TEs in my book), play-makers helping the QB, and specials.
from the article... Is 373 yards respectable? Averaging 373 puts you at 78th in the country, 35th percentile. eh

the problems are everywhere right now and Marrone stated as much Saturday, plain and simple. Now, if we had a really good offense, these problesm elsewhere would be masked significantly

If only we had a veteran OL and a head coach who played that position.

our line is veteran? two jucos and 3 SO's? they have lots of starts as a function of nobody to replace them with. given any talent at all noone else but Pugh would have even seen the field yet , Macky would be a RSo we would wonder if he still had talent and the Jucos would never have been here at all. Even if the recruiting was great at the position the guys would probably still be RS, we never have gotten 4-5 star guys here at that position. I think even in the best of worlds the oline is two years away from being a functioning unit.

100% agree. Football is always won or lost on the line of scrimmage. I agree that a mobile QB can help and certain plays will work better than others. But we saw it against WVU work in our favor and in most every loss we saw it work against us: sound fundamentals on the LOS can make good backs look great and poor play can make great backs loosk awful. Same is true with defense: get pressure on the QB and it is amazing how great that defensive secondary never loses the receivers they must cover.

Excellent post!

Bottom line - we need more players - we need to upgrade talent.

I am convinced that we are on the way to doing that.

from the article... Is 373 yards respectable? Averaging 373 puts you at 78th in the country, 35th percentile. eh

Where does our 13 points put us. Or our 1 TD.

I know, I know, LSU beat Alabama without scoring a TD so TDs are overrated for an offense.