" They weren't good enough" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

" They weren't good enough"

True. Glad they started doing the things that many of us felt they were capable of.

Writing off players is wrong. Still, a few good games, or one brilliant game does not mean all prior criticism was incorrect.
It was a football only poster who wrote him off so there you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For much of James Southerland's career, a segment of the fan base labeled him as not good enough. Sure, he could light it up against exhibition foes and early season fodder. However, when conference season came around he couldn't do anything. He would never be a contributor.

For much of Baye's career he has been labeled by a certain segment as scrappy but weak. Not ever likely to contribute, certain to be recruited over, and not really up to the task of playing against Big East foes.

And this year, it was deemed by a certain segment that Trevor Cooney was a wasted scholarship. A kid who will never contribute and in fact not able to compete at Big East level at all.

With all the self-assuredness of fools, a certain segment projected the entire careers of players long before those careers had ended or in one case had even begun to unfold.

A little over dramatic?!? Jeeze its a fan forum. Criticism happens. Most of it well deserved. Some of it over the top (just like this post).

I couldn't agree more with Dick's post

"With all the self-assuredness of fools, a certain segment projected the entire careers of players long before those careers had ended or in one case had even begun to unfold."

Yep, they are doing that when they predict eventual success even thought the great weight of available evidence might say otherwise.

That knife cuts both ways.

I couldn't agree more with Dick's post

"With all the self-assuredness of fools, a certain segment projected the entire careers of players long before those careers had ended or in one case had even begun to unfold."

Yep, they are doing that when they predict eventual success even thought the great weight of available evidence might say otherwise.

That knife cuts both ways.

What?

For much of James Southerland's career, a segment of the fan base labeled him as not good enough. Sure, he could light it up against exhibition foes and early season fodder. However, when conference season came around he couldn't do anything. He would never be a contributor.

For much of Baye's career he has been labeled by a certain segment as scrappy but weak. Not ever likely to contribute, certain to be recruited over, and not really up to the task of playing against Big East foes.

And this year, it was deemed by a certain segment that Trevor Cooney was a wasted scholarship. A kid who will never contribute and in fact not able to compete at Big East level at all.

I'm THRILLED for all 3. Esspecially Baye.

But FACT: Baye WAS recruited over. Not by the fanbase. By the coaches.

Also, I don't remember anyone saying Trevor was a wasted scholly. If they did, well, they are dummies

Also, I don't remember anyone saying Trevor was a wasted scholly. If they did, well, they are dummies
Lots of them. Kc on the football board said he should transfer cause he will never be good. Blah blah blah. Lot of shhit talking for a kid not ready yet. Cooney WILL be good in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm THRILLED for all 3. Esspecially Baye.

But FACT: Baye WAS recruited over. Not by the fanbase. By the coaches.

It isn't who starts, it is who finishes...

Welcome home, Dick. A really great post. Don't keep us waiting so long next time!

Great post .. who really doesn't want to see all these kids get better?

It reminds me of last year, when we swung through South Bend and Cincy. This board was a maggot-filled cesspool.

People were actually calling KJ "soft". It was laughable and pathetic. If you rolled it all up and put it between two slices of bread, it tasted like waste.

Of course, 2 nights later KJ led us to the win with a team-leading 17 against Cincy.

So spiteful.

Excellent post Dick, after reading this one and the one last week, it's obvious you have a "way" with a keyboard. Are you a sports writer? If not, you should be.

A little over dramatic?!? Jeeze its a fan forum. Criticism happens. Most of it well deserved. Some of it over the top (just like this post).

Missed the point you did.

Missed the point you did.

I guess I may have... what's the point?

I liked the end. Cooney, Baye, and James officially have a place in my heart for their games last night.

Chastising the board for it (most of which is true) is overdramatic imho.

It reminds me of last year, when we swung through South Bend and Cincy. This board was a maggot-filled cesspool.

People were actually calling KJ "soft". It was laughable and pathetic. If you rolled it all up and put it between two slices of bread, it tasted like waste.

Of course, 2 nights later KJ led us to the win with a team-leading 17 against Cincy.

So spiteful.

This is a head scratcher.

I loved KJ... A LOT. He had a special place in my heart because he replied back to me on twitter a few times the day before the Cal game (before anyone thought he was going to be a star).

But if there is 1 word to describe KJ's career... is soft. And I hate that for him - because after the Cal and UNC games, we thought he would be our next Wes. And he never could become a superstar because he was too soft.

Very good player, yes. The man, never.

This is a head scratcher.

I loved KJ... A LOT. He had a special place in my heart because he replied back to me on twitter a few times the day before the Cal game (before anyone thought he was going to be a star).

But if there is 1 word to describe KJ's career... is soft. And I hate that for him - because after the Cal and UNC games, we thought he would be our next Wes. And he never could become a superstar because he was too soft.

Very good player, yes. The man, never.

1476 points. 119 wins. Hardly soft.

went from a top 10 pick to a barely 2nd rounder for a reason.

again - he was a great syracuse player. but he without a doubt failed to live up to his expectations after his soph year. thats certainly not debatable. CERTAINLY.

why did he fail to live up to his expectations? was it talent or mental? i know the answer. it has brandon triche written all over it. you and dick can call me a hater all you want. but i know if my brain is implanted in their bodies - we do A LOT better.

again - he was a great syracuse player. but he without a doubt failed to live up to his expectations after his soph year. thats certainly not debatable. CERTAINLY.

Please enlighten Dick and me. What were his expectations?

OMG this has me going CRAZY!!! after the GTOWN game is soph year... are you serious?!?!

he was blessed with GREAT TEAMS!

but he isnt anywhere near the top 20 players in cuse history. Not even in the same ballpark

Please enlighten Dick and me. What were his expectations?

REALLY? dude at this point, you are out of your league.

KJ was a projected lottery pick after his jr year. he was flop central - worse than MCW has done. how quickly we forget.

REALLY? dude at this point, you are out of your league.

KJ was a projected lottery pick after his jr year. he was flop central - worse than MCW has done. how quickly we forget.

I'm sorry your brain wasn't implanted in his body. Otherwise, he would have scored 4,000 points in his career and won four national championships.

Damn, what could have been.

I'm sorry your brain wasn't implanted in his body. Otherwise, he would have scored 4,000 points in his career and won four national championships.

Damn, what could have been.

nice response. :bang:

KJ was definitely overhyped. He was a good small forward an a great kid. He just wasnt as talented as people thought he was but was still a good player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom