" They weren't good enough" | Syracusefan.com

" They weren't good enough"

Dick_in_MI

Emeritus Legend
For much of James Southerland's career, a segment of the fan base labeled him as not good enough. Sure, he could light it up against exhibition foes and early season fodder. However, when conference season came around he couldn't do anything. He would never be a contributor.

For much of Baye's career he has been labeled by a certain segment as scrappy but weak. Not ever likely to contribute, certain to be recruited over, and not really up to the task of playing against Big East foes.

And this year, it was deemed by a certain segment that Trevor Cooney was a wasted scholarship. A kid who will never contribute and in fact not able to compete at Big East level at all.

With all the self-assuredness of fools, a certain segment projected the entire careers of players long before those careers had ended or in one case had even begun to unfold.

This week, James Southerland has so far turned in an historic performance. Trevor Cooney stood toe to toe with our most hated rivals and almost single handedly carried SU in the first half last night. And Baye? He was a warrior on both ends of the floor, was a vocal leader during timeouts, and sunk crucial free throw after crucial free throw with the icy precision of a hired killer. And he did it for 41 minutes while the McDonalds All Americans who were "recruited over" him sat with their butts planted on the bench.

Without any of those three players, the Thompsons would have died a lot happier than they will. Because of each of those three players, JB will someday go to his grave knowing that this long and bitter rivalry was officially closed with a Syracuse win on the big stage.

Regardless of what else James, Trevor, and Baye do for the rest of their careers at SU...and I have a feeling that the best still lies ahead for all of them...they will be Orange heroes for life for what they accomplished last night.

For life.

For much of James Southerland's career, a segment of the fan base labeled him as not good enough. Sure, he could light it up against exhibition foes and early season fodder. However, when conference season came around he couldn't do anything. He would never be a contributor.

For much of Baye's career he has been labeled by a certain segment as scrappy but weak. Not ever likely to contribute, certain to be recruited over, and not really up to the task of playing against Big East foes.

And this year, it was deemed by a certain segment that Trevor Cooney was a wasted scholarship. A kid who will never contribute and in fact not able to compete at Big East level at all.

With all the self-assuredness of fools, a certain segment projected the entire careers of players long before those careers had ended or in one case had even begun to unfold.

This week, James Southerland has so far turned in an historic performance. Trevor Cooney stood toe to toe with our most hated and almost single handedly carried SU in the first half last night. And Baye? He was a warrior on both ends of the floor, was a vocal leader during timeouts, and sunk crucial free throw after crucial free throw with the icy precision of a hired killer. And he did it for 41 minutes while the McDonalds All Americans who were "recruited over" him sat with their butts planted on the bench.

Without any of those three players, the Thompsons would have died a lot happier than they will. Because of each of those three players, JB will someday go to his grave knowing that this long and bitter rivalry was officially closed with a Syracuse win on the big stage.

Regardless of what else James, Trevor, and Baye do for the rest of their careers at SU...and I have a feeling that the best still lies ahead for all of them...they will be Orange heroes for life for what they accomplished last night.

For life.

Great post. The sane voice speaks again.

Well done.

Great to see you posting again, Dick. Hope all is well.

James' best basketball might be ahead of him. I think he has a legit shot to stick on an NBA roster.

James' best basketball might be ahead of him. I think he has a legit shot to stick on an NBA roster.

I think his range, combined with his size, will at least give him a look.

Great to see you back Dick! An excellent post dripping with truth. Baye and Trevor showed what they are made of on the biggest stage in all of college basketball. The entire team is to be commended but, alas, there is still business to be tended to tonight! We are about to embark on the final leg of a historic run to close out Syracuses legacy in the "Real Big East".

WE WILL NOT BE DENIED!!!SUball

I think his range, combined with his size, will at least give him a look.

JS is an elite long range shooter and he will certainly get a chance to prove it at the next level. He does not have a well developed all around game, but he does have one elite level skill. Those guys get a shot in the NBA.

The key for JS, and it will be the key to how well he scores tonight, is his ability to get his shot when other teams are going to try to run to his face to make him take a dribble or shot fake first. I will be the game within the game tonight.

Great post...easy to root for the underdogs and everyone likes to see perceived scrubs do well...freakin post got me all weepy
OO44

Hey welcome back!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Southerland is an athletic freak (NBA scouts love that) and can shoot lights out from deep (NBA scouts love that). Definitely think he gets a shot in the NBA as a shooter off the bench. Reminds me alot of Rashard Lewis.

I don't know why people insist on doing that but it happens every year. Whether it's JS, BMK, Nassib, I just don't get it. Is it for the joy of maybe being able to say "I told you so" if that player has a disappointing career?

Oh, yeah. Welcome back!

Great post, and thank you for your sane, rational thoughts on this board. They would be greatly appreciated more and more and are sorely missed.

Hey Tricky Dick. Nice to see a post from you. Stick around.

Go Spartans!

Sent using my Commodore 64

Has to rank as one of the best , and truest posts of all time. This puts into perspective the fact its still a game, sometimes we let our emotions get in the way of common sense. Thanks for the post.

This week, James Southerland has so far turned in an historic performance. Trevor Cooney stood toe to toe with our most hated and almost single handedly carried SU in the first half last night. And Baye? He was a warrior on both ends of the floor, was a vocal leader during timeouts, and sunk crucial free throw after crucial free throw with the icy precision of a hired killer. And he did it for 41 minutes while the McDonalds All Americans who were "recruited over" him sat with their butts planted on the bench.

For life.

Great post, Dick. Well said.

A bunch of us were talking about you at the BE tourney, bemoaning the fact you'd stopped posting. Very glad to see you post, keep your observations coming

Dick back in the house!

Ya gave me goose bumps with that post! Great stuff.

For life.
Welcome back, Dick. I agree with everything you said.

...they will be Orange heroes for life for what they accomplished last night.

For life.

True. Glad they started doing the things that many of us felt they were capable of.

Writing off players is wrong. Still, a few good games, or one brilliant game does not mean all prior criticism was incorrect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom