Things I did and did not like (after meditating for several days) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Things I did and did not like (after meditating for several days)

Chandler going down would be really bad, but that's arguably the position where we could best handle a guy going down.

Jones def was limping, if its a knee who knows how bad it will be until things have been evaluated. even though he was still playing on it, could be a season ender or a sprain, who knows. Sounds like it isn't good news though

Yeah, Chandler is the only SU player, football or hoops, that I follow on the Twitter. His tweets this morning sounded like something bad happened. I was hoping it was a girl.

his FB says "i love college" in a recent status update

I think I said this at the tailgate...I'm not going to subscribe to the "this is the best thing that could've happened" mentality, I'd have rather dominated Wake. However, it's obvious that we have a ton to work on, and the players know it, and the coaches are going to ride them hard all week. I expect an absolute demolition of Rhody on Saturday, and I expect to see a lot of backups get a lot of snaps (I want to see Kinder play).

Also, anyone on Twitter knows that our players have a huge chip on their shoulders after the mass exodus Thursday. They were really peeved people left. I think that they're going to come out fired up.

Well, to be fair, they lost a ton of games at home last year, and looked like crap for almost 45 minutes of this game. It's never good to walk out - I never do personally. But that was a damn hard game to watch for much of the time.

I agree Matt, the fans just want SOMETHING to root foor, to cheer for, something to get excited about. There has been a host of games like the Wake game the past 7 years where there was no comeback, just another demoralzing loss. I agree a lot of fans are fairweathered, but a performance like Wake for 45 minutes is almost unwatchable

I agree Matt, the fans just want SOMETHING to root foor, to cheer for, something to get excited about. There has been a host of games like the Wake game the past 7 years where there was no comeback, just another demoralzing loss. I agree a lot of fans are fairweathered, but a performance like Wake for 45 minutes is almost unwatchable

I wasn't there but would definitely have considered leaving if I was. Plus, it's not like it's any secret that this is not a particularly great fan base. It hurts to say it and I think most here are knowledgeable, engaged fans, but most at the dome are not (at least from my experience).

Jones def was limping, if its a knee who knows how bad it will be until things have been evaluated. even though he was still playing on it, could be a season ender or a sprain, who knows. Sounds like it isn't good news though

I wasn't blown away by Jones, though now we seem to know why, and I wasn't blown away by Marinovich, though he did have a productive game. I still would love to see him pressuring the QB more and dancing with linemen less in passing situations. I find him frustrating in that he's talented and at times looks great, but often disappears. Regardless, if Jones is out, hopefully we can still hang with Marinovich, Ball (who I thought looked good), Sharpe (who I've liked since he was a frosh) and Robinson (who at least had a good spring/fall camp).

I wasn't blown away by Jones, though now we seem to know why, and I wasn't blown away by Marinovich, though he did have a productive game. I still would love to see him pressuring the QB more and dancing with linemen less in passing situations. I find him frustrating in that he's talented and at times looks great, but often disappears. Regardless, if Jones is out, hopefully we can still hang with Marinovich, Ball (who I thought looked good), Sharpe (who I've liked since he was a frosh) and Robinson (who at least had a good spring/fall camp).

Neither one has ever blown me away and I still can't figure out why Marinovich is the starter. He rarely wows me, it must boil down to straight up consistency. I usually come away from games much more impressed with Sharpe and Ball.

Neither one has ever blown me away and I still can't figure out why Marinovich is the starter. He rarely wows me, it must boil down to straight up consistency. I usually come away from games much more impressed with Sharpe and Ball.

During the tailgate, I said my biggest fear about this season was that Chandler Jones and Marinovich aren't nearly as good of pass rushers as we think/want/need (whichever word you prefer) them to be.

During the tailgate, I said my biggest fear about this season was that Chandler Jones and Marinovich aren't nearly as good of pass rushers as we think/want/need (whichever word you prefer) them to be.

All camp we were told how Chandler dominated in August. I expected him to have a big impact on Thursday and while he was held a lot, he didn't really do much. Maybe if he's not being held he stands out more - i don't know. It was the two other DEnds that stood to me, particularly Sharpe.

Chandler is good enough to be double teamed, whether he is great and can beat the 2 team is up for debate

Chandler is good enough to be double teamed, whether he is great and can beat the 2 team is up for debate
I didn't see many double teams so I'll have to watch again. The other 2 DEnds don't hardly show up in the box score, but they seem to apply more pressure. A couple of times I thought Sharpe forced the QB to leave the pocket. They just seem to move the tackles more than the other two.

I didn't see many double teams so I'll have to watch again. The other 2 DEnds don't hardly show up in the box score, but they seem to apply more pressure. A couple of times I thought Sharpe forced the QB to leave the pocket. They just seem to move the tackles more than the other two.

I didn't see that many doubles either, but I will take others' word for it. I think Jones is real solid but just shy of great. I think he's bit of a tweener -- DE size with DT quickness. Tough, aggressive, active, high-volume player who just doesn't quite have the first-step quickness to be a dominant pass-rusher off the edge (I could be wrong, but I just haven't quite seen it). Marinovich looked active off the edge late last year, I thought, but I'm surprised he's starting over Sharpe. I just don't see the burst and I see so many passing plays where not only is he not in the backfield, but he's actually given up ground. I don't claim to be a lineplay guru, but he's just not a kid that jumps off the screen at you when you watch.