Things I hope to see on Saturday | Syracusefan.com

Things I hope to see on Saturday

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Now that the initial frustrating and disgust has worn off from that very disappointing but unsurprising (to me at least) loss last Saturday. I am hopeful the staff's eyes are just as open as the players ears and we can see the following changes/developments.

1. This team has a crap load of WR's on the roster, half of which were recruited by Babers and are Freshmen - play them. I dont' care if its Sharrod Johnson, Nykeim Johnson, Jordan Cameron, RTB or that walk on who blew up in the spring game. Enough with Custis, enough with Sean Avant and his 3 career receptions enough with people pinning for Adly Enoicy who hasn't been healthy in 3 years. Play these young guys and see who wants to catch the freeking ball.

2. Neal getting some work in the slot and Pierre/Elmore in the backfield. Biggest issue I have with Babers is that he continues to trot out Strickland and Neal at RB when its clear to just about everyone who knows football that these guys are playing out of place and aren't Div 1 rb's. Let Dungey or someone else call out the line calls get some actual RB's back there and get some semblance of a running game going before we have Andrew Robinson Part 2 on our hands. Neal can be electric with the ball get this guy the ball in his hands. A true rb screen or wheel route or something like that would be a nice change if your not going to actually move him.

3. Ward Blitzing. Again clear to everyone that his DL can't generate QB pressure on its own less later in the second half when its gassed. We have 40 lb's and Db's on the roster, lets run some disguised blitzes and generate some pressure for a change. Rushing 4 let MTSU march down the field for TD's nearly the entire second half.

4. Enough with Murphy, nice kid but the experiment should be over. Let him handle XP's but left Hoff take over the fg duties. He's regressed so badly since his frosh year its hard to watch him kick at this point.

5. If DeVito is ready and Dungey struggles play him. If the staff thinks he can play now and Dungey struggles again don't be afraid to make the move. I know the redshirt etc etc, look Dungey's only a JR I don't get the feeling this kid is going sit the bench for two years waiting for his turn so if and again if hes the true #2 now and Dungey gets hurt or struggles let's see what he has.

6. Devin Butler starting at CB. I don't care which starter he replaces but get him in the starting line up.

7. Make smart decisions - 3rd and 1 inside the MTSU 35, run the ball with Elmore. We don't need a go pattern and then Murphy trotted out there to shank one. RUN ELMORE and get the 1st down. Also Go outside of the same 10 plays and try some innovation on offense. It's OK to run a trick play, play action, a double pass out of the bubble screen, shovel pass, Dungey going under center etc. Inside the 5 we can call something besides Strickland up the gut or a slant to Custis whose hands are less then great. Look at Buffalos play yesterday that had Andre Holmes come across the formation at the 1 for a wide open touchdown. For such an innovative offense we sure do a ton of crap by the book when were in important situations.

8. Win - I don't give a sh$t about train whistles, bells, WIFI, t-shirt tosses, or who faked an obvious injury win the dame game.

1-Mark
2-enzy
3-Pierre

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Custis yet. These 2 games are the 1st significant playing time he's ever gotten. He beat his man deep, just dropped a pass that hit his outstretched hands. The previous week he made a difficult one-handed grab on a very similar play. I agree that both Frosh Johnsons need more reps, & am so ready to see Nykeim returning punts/kicks. I don't think burning RTB or Cam Jordan's redshirt is in play yet. This CMU game may very well be the biggest of Dungey's career. He needs to be better, mentally (reads/decision making) & physically (throws).

1) win

I just want to see the team execute what they set out to do. I don't care if it's a 1-pt or 50-pt win as long as we execute.

Dropped passes, penalties, turnovers, broken plays and missed assignments must be at a minimum.

Play a clean game, get the thing on track...

LGO boys.

Now that the initial frustrating and disgust has worn off from that very disappointing but unsurprising (to me at least) loss last Saturday. I am hopeful the staff's eyes are just as open as the players ears and we can see the following changes/developments.

1. This team has a crap load of WR's on the roster, half of which were recruited by Babers and are Freshmen - play them. I dont' care if its Sharrod Johnson, Nykeim Johnson, Jordan Cameron, RTB or that walk on who blew up in the spring game. Enough with Custis, enough with Sean Avant and his 3 career receptions enough with people pinning for Adly Enoicy who hasn't been healthy in 3 years. Play these young guys and see who wants to catch the freeking ball.

2. Neal getting some work in the slot and Pierre/Elmore in the backfield. Biggest issue I have with Babers is that he continues to trot out Strickland and Neal at RB when its clear to just about everyone who knows football that these guys are playing out of place and aren't Div 1 rb's. Let Dungey or someone else call out the line calls get some actual RB's back there and get some semblance of a running game going before we have Andrew Robinson Part 2 on our hands. Neal can be electric with the ball get this guy the ball in his hands. A true rb screen or wheel route or something like that would be a nice change if your not going to actually move him.

3. Ward Blitzing. Again clear to everyone that his DL can't generate QB pressure on its own less later in the second half when its gassed. We have 40 lb's and Db's on the roster, lets run some disguised blitzes and generate some pressure for a change. Rushing 4 let MTSU march down the field for TD's nearly the entire second half.

4. Enough with Murphy, nice kid but the experiment should be over. Let him handle XP's but left Hoff take over the fg duties. He's regressed so badly since his frosh year its hard to watch him kick at this point.

5. If DeVito is ready and Dungey struggles play him. If the staff thinks he can play now and Dungey struggles again don't be afraid to make the move. I know the redshirt etc etc, look Dungey's only a JR I don't get the feeling this kid is going sit the bench for two years waiting for his turn so if and again if hes the true #2 now and Dungey gets hurt or struggles let's see what he has.

6. Devin Butler starting at CB. I don't care which starter he replaces but get him in the starting line up.

7. Make smart decisions - 3rd and 1 inside the MTSU 35, run the ball with Elmore. We don't need a go pattern and then Murphy trotted out there to shank one. RUN ELMORE and get the 1st down. Also Go outside of the same 10 plays and try some innovation on offense. It's OK to run a trick play, play action, a double pass out of the bubble screen, shovel pass, Dungey going under center etc. Inside the 5 we can call something besides Strickland up the gut or a slant to Custis whose hands are less then great. Look at Buffalos play yesterday that had Andre Holmes come across the formation at the 1 for a wide open touchdown. For such an innovative offense we sure do a ton of crap by the book when were in important situations.

8. Win - I don't give a sh$t about train whistles, bells, WIFI, t-shirt tosses, or who faked an obvious injury win the dame game.

I agree with 95% of what you posted. My 5% exception is playing DeVito. Save his redshirt.

Why not Mahoney? Kid came in after that shiddy hit to Dungey and was really able to move the ball down field--his reads and throws were quick and accurate. They should have kept him in longer. He was grossly underutilized IMHO.

One thing I haven't really seen mentioned is that Frederick was not only cleanly beat twice deep for big gains, 1 a TD, but on at least 2 other occasions, the WR ran right by him with little to no resistance & had 3 steps of separation. On the 1st occasion, we got to their QB altering the throw. The second was down the sideline in front of our bench but the WR got caught by the "turf monster" & simply fell down. The ball would've hit him in stride for an easy TD.

One thing I haven't really seen mentioned is that Frederick was not only cleanly beat twice deep for big gains, 1 a TD, but on at least 2 other occasions, the WR ran right by him with little to no resistance & had 3 steps of separation. On the 1st occasion, we got to their QB altering the throw. The second was down the sideline in front of our bench but the WR got caught by the "turf monster" & simply fell down. The ball would've hit him in stride for an easy TD.

You are correct I remember both plays well. He was abysmal Saturday and as you noted he got bailed out on two of those plays or it could have been worse. Time to go with Butler.

I agree with 95% of what you posted. My 5% exception is playing DeVito. Save his redshirt.

Why not Mahoney? Kid came in after that shiddy hit to Dungey and was really able to move the ball down field--his reads and throws were quick and accurate. They should have kept him in longer. He was grossly underutilized IMHO.

If the Office is the true #2 I don't have an issue with that. However, if DeVito is the real #2 which appeared to be the case prior to his illness at the end of camp and they need to go the backup it should be him. DeVito is the future not the Officer as harsh as that sounds its the reality in P5 Div 1 football.

All good points thus far.

As far as Zach, the Officer would have made that pitch against MTSU. If we are going to run option plays, he may be better suited. I don't want to see TD burn his redshirt for that.

1) win

I just want to see the team execute what they set out to do. I don't care if it's a 1-pt or 50-pt win as long as we execute.

Dropped passes, penalties, turnovers, broken plays and missed assignments must be at a minimum.

Play a clean game, get the thing on track...

LGO boys.

Had they just caught the 2nd half drops that they normally do - I think we win.

1. Perkins and Pierre get some run, even if that means coming up with some other way to make line calls
2. Any receiver take the top off the defense and be a legitimate threat to catch the ball.

If we can do these 2 things, even with just mediocre results, we can salvage this season.

I want to see a backfield of Pierre/Elmore and I want to see Neal in the slot. I think you need to keep Strickland at RB for depth because we really don't have any.

I want to see good execution and progression down the field. I don't care if that comes in the form of screens repeatedly until you can throw over the top or whatever, but just get it done.

End of the day - we need to win this game. No ifs or buts about it. Every team loses games and has bad days but good teams recover from that and bounce back. That's what we need to see on Saturday.

We need to be 4-2 heading into Clemson. I don't care how we get there. Just get there.

Strickland, and Neal should both be at WR, and let them replace Riley on Kickoff, and punt returns.

I want to see a backfield of Pierre/Elmore and I want to see Neal in the slot. I think you need to keep Strickland at RB for depth because we really don't have any.

I want to see good execution and progression down the field. I don't care if that comes in the form of screens repeatedly until you can throw over the top or whatever, but just get it done.

End of the day - we need to win this game. No ifs or buts about it. Every team loses games and has bad days but good teams recover from that and bounce back. That's what we need to see on Saturday.

We need to be 4-2 heading into Clemson. I don't care how we get there. Just get there.

CMU--probably
LSU--NFW!
NC State--maybe; probably not
Pitt--Possibly

Best case scenario: 3-3 (and that's a stretch).

1.) A win
2.) Someone to get a good clean shot on:
12764431.jpeg

agreed!!!

I want to see a coaching staff adjusting. To me, talent can be coached up or down or left "as is". The kids aren't the fault here, it's the coaching staff when you lose to Midd Tenn at home.

We could win 2 games this year and i'll be ok with Dino going forward if he tries to adjust throughout.

I see no reason why you would get Devito in there right now? Mahoney is the backup and I act think he has the moxy to do it if Eric gets banged up again. May as well get him some snaps no matter what b/c I see no way Dungey makes it through a game at LSU.

Yep the original post is outstanding but I would not burn Devito's RS. Give him a chance to start next year(I love ED but gotta play your best players, whomever that is).

#8 is all I care about. To get that we need to do this to CMU:

gif_temp.gif

Lets get back on track.

I said we'd clobber MTSU so as always take this with a giant grain of salt... But I'd be shocked to see Dungey and the WR have the same mental mistakes. I think the O gets back on track and we score 35+.

Devito would get killed behind this OL and be shell-shocked. He should be put in a glass jar for next year regardless unless we become a fundamentally better football team. Dungey isn't the problem, the OL is and Devito isn't Vick or Newton.

If the Office is the true #2 I don't have an issue with that. However, if DeVito is the real #2 which appeared to be the case prior to his illness at the end of camp and they need to go the backup it should be him. DeVito is the future not the Officer as harsh as that sounds its the reality in P5 Div 1 football.
DeVito is the future which is why I don't want him to get "Savage'd". I was going to say Dungey'd but I still think he'll be okay. I just don't want them to throw a super talented young kid behind a bad o-line and ruin his confidence for the rest of his career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom