Things I learned this weekend... | Syracusefan.com

Things I learned this weekend...

cto

Administrator
NYC is magical at night during the Christmas season….especially around the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree. Even when it is sleeting and freezing and there are four inches of slush engulfing your feet (as it was on Saturday night).

An SJU game at MSG …. Is not a Big East game or a Knicks game. Not a single food concession open on the lower level. Zero. Nada. I guess it shows what MSG thinks of St John’s. At both the Big East tourney and Knicks games, there were probably a dozen of them.

Speaking of which…. The audio track on the video played prior to the introduction of the SJU players…. Kept repeating “New York” over and over again. It never mentioned St. John’s. They also showed some huge pictures declaring that SJU is “New York’s team.” Unapologetic plagarizers!

The interior of Stout looks very much like the interior of the Blarney Rock. I had to step out of the Blarney Rock to take a phone call….. and when I went back inside, I couldn’t find my friends. After 15 minutes of frantic back-and-forth texting,… during which I kept saying I was standing next to the stairway….. Barbara Boeheim comes running up to me and says “You’re in the wrong bar.” Yup, I had entered Stout instead. Crazily, it looked exactly the same. Even the stairway was in the same place, and the bar itself looked exactly the same.

It is not good to have six glasses of wine … after having eaten exactly one cookie (and nothing else to eat) all day. I blame MSG, and their lack of food, for this. Actually, it may also be partially responsible for my being in the wrong bar…. But I prefer to think not.

I loved finally meeting CuseTroop (and his delightful wife Meghan). He is even more fun in person… than he is on this forum or in a chat room. Sadly (for those who have not met him), he is returning to Alaska tomorrow. And, btw, he is responsible for my finally having some food. I usually don’t like French fries, but the ones he bought me after I returned to the Blarney Rock were beyond delicious (Well, at least they were food).

I think we will have a lot of frustrating games this year. The team is surely talented, but once again, they built a large lead….only to fritter it away. In some game, I fear, they will not be able to get the lead back and pull away. They have to become more consistent… and not take their feet off the pedal when they get the lead to double digits.

Last edited:
Gross was definitely munching on something during the game. He must have smuggled a Sabrett's under his blazer only to break it out during the 2nd half. I guess he didn't offer you a bite.

Gross was definitely munching on something during the game. He must have smuggled a Sabrett's under his blazer only to break hit out during the 2nd half. I guess he didn't offer you a bite.
Someone must have brought it to him. Oddly,, I was sitting behind him, and I didn't notice. If I had, I would have asked him for a piece. I was seriously hungry. One does not have lunch before a 12 noon tip off. And how stupid is an arena that does not have food concessions open for a noon tip off.

Last edited:
Things I learned this weekend,

This was St. John's biggest game in a decade and there fans were pumped up. However, when it was all said and done, we still outdrew them and beat them again. I admit there was a 5 min stretch in the second half I got nervous for.

also, Blarney rock is awesome and so were the Syracuse fans in it

And 2 people down from Gross was our Italian Jewish friend from the Texeira game, but this time he wasn't showing the whole nation his chest hair.
Who IS that guy?? Joyce, I thought you looked pretty reasonable the one shot I saw you in! No one would guess you were besotted AND starving!

Who IS that guy?? Joyce, I thought you looked pretty reasonable the one shot I saw you in! No one would guess you were besotted AND starving!
He's an SU grad named Mark Selden. He co-owns a celebrity security firm as well as some other venture capital stuff. He's a little heavier now than the pic in his bio
http://allstarsecurityny.com/bio.php

Nice post cto. Couple things:

We again showed why we own NYC college bball and MSG. The "LGO" chants at the end of that game were awesome. Could very easily hear them on TV, so I'm sure it was rocking for those in attendance. Job well done Cuse fans!

The refs were so laughably bad, you didn't think you were watching a marquee college bball game. I mean, besides the ticky tack fouls they were calling both ways, they screwed up the bonuses at the line. We were screaming at the TV at home, which does no good, but you know how your emotions can get involved. They missed multiple blatant traveling calls, a clear SJU offensive goaltending on a massive dunk in the first few minutes and seemed to get really one-sided against SU down the stretch. Karl Hess is a clown, and always will be.

I love the Blarney Rock. I hope that everyone there had a good time. If you've never been, you have to go in before a Cuse game at the Garden. Syracuse bar through and through.

Ennis has such amazing composure. The "kid" truly has ice in his veins. His 15 1st half points were incredible and I think he ended up 10-10 from the line. He ended with 21 points, 6 assists, only 2 turnovers and played 39 minutes. We are very lucky to have him and in the FS1 post-game, they were saying he was one of the top 3 PG's in the country right now, regardless of class. Incredible.

CJ had a rough day that still saw him score 21. He made up for it making a couple big shots in the last few minutes. He is having himself a year.

Jerami Grant is a freak. He has to be part Kangaroo. Scouts must have been drooling over his athleticism and potential. That kid will play at the next level, I just think he might need another year. We'll see.

Great win.

Didn't get the guy's name, but he was very nice. Barbara and I were standing in front of him at the bar line at halftime, and he insisted on paying for our drinks. Peggy, I would like to think I looked more than "reasonable." Actually, I thought I looked pretty good. I was just hungry

Didn't get the guy's name, but he was very nice. Barbara and I were standing in front of him at the bar line at halftime, and he insisted on paying for our drinks. Peggy, I would like to think I looked more than "reasonable." Actually, I thought I looked pretty good. I was just hungry

Joyce, you looked fabulous! :)

image-1987234402.jpg

The interior of Stout looks very much like the interior of the Blarney Rock. I had to step out of the Blarney Rock to take a phone call….. and when I went back inside, I couldn’t find my friends. After 15 minutes of frantic back-and-forth texting,… during which I kept saying I was standing next to the stairway….. Barbara Boeheim comes running up to me and says “You’re in the wrong bar.” Yup, I had entered Stout instead. Crazily, it looked exactly the same. Even the stairway was in the same place, and the bar itself looked exactly the same.

Uh... CTO, how many drinks did you have exactly? And are you sure it wasn't Peyote? Sounds like you had some fun.

Don't forget that many of us looked ALL OVER the Blarney for you, when I finally said she's got to be in the wrong bar. So I talked my way into Stout (they still had a line) and sure enough, there you were!
good thing you had the cool head to figure out where she was. whos turn was it to watch her when she left, billorange??

and CTO im sorry, but the Blarney and Stout look NOTHING alike.

the stairways are the same??

thats some good pinot right there, who gave it to you...jim ignatowski??

hopefully Syracuse is back in the Garden this march and we can go over the architectural design plans of a few of Manhattans finest Emporiums of Libation.

good thing you had the cool head to figure out where she was. whos turn was it to watch her when she left, billorange??

and CTO im sorry, but the Blarney and Stout look NOTHING alike.

the stairways are the same??

thats some good pinot right there, who gave it to you...jim ignatowski??

hopefully Syracuse is back in the Garden this march and we can go over the architectural design plans of a few of Manhattans finest Emporiums of Libation.
Jim Ignatowski--"Cheers" flashback; those were the days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom