Things I liked | Syracusefan.com

Things I liked

LAOrange

Starter
1. As long as it's not serious CJ Fair's injury may have been the best thing to come out of this trip. Jerami Grant had to step up and he did. Twice.
2. Tyler Ennis now knows he can play college ball. The kid's a star.
3. Cooney still has his confidence. His shot will fall as he gets more comfortable.
4. The team started playing defense in the second half. I'll bet Keita had a lot to do with that.
5. G's rust has fallen off.

1. As long as it's not serious CJ Fair's injury may have been the best thing to come out of this trip. Jerami Grant had to step up and he did. Twice.
2. Tyler Ennis now knows he can play college ball. The kid's a star.
3. Cooney still has his confidence. His shot will fall as he gets more comfortable.
4. The team started playing defense in the second half. I'll bet Keita had a lot to do with that.
5. G's rust has fallen off.

I didn't see the game. I listened and also followed the chat room, what did G do well?

Ennis deserves a lot of credit..especially in the second half.

A freshman PG with little competitive big time college experience ran that team's offense as good as any PG we could have wanted...and he had 5 steals.

This should be a good year, just having the chance to watch this kid play basketball.

Defense definitely seemed to improve in 2nd half when Keita was in

Both Ennis and Grant are going to be fun to watch this year.

I didn't see the game. I listened and also followed the chat room, what did G do well?
I don't know, but when this goes on archive, I will watch what I missed, about a quarter. Of goodness, I hear.

I wasnt so impressed with Cooney. He hit a big 3 at the end but he missed some key, wide opened shots throughout the game. Hes a really streaky shooter. He still plays so frantically, especially on D. He always over commits when theres a driver in the lane and that leaves a kick out to a wide open 3 pt shot because hes too slow to recover. I think he'll improve a lot throughout the season but i just had really high expectations for him since he signed with cuse.

I wasnt so impressed with Cooney. He hit a big 3 at the end but he missed some key, wide opened shots throughout the game. Hes a really streaky shooter. He still plays so frantically, especially on D. He always over commits when theres a driver in the lane and that leaves a kick out to a wide open 3 pt shot because hes too slow to recover. I think he'll improve a lot throughout the season but i just had really high expectations for him since he signed with cuse.

Cooney will prfobably start at the 2- an even more important question is who will run the point when he needs a breather/foul trouble?
right now, after seeing 3 exhibition games, I really dont know, but the good thing about that is I dont have to, as long as our coaching staff does.
If anyone wasnt impressive its coleman- cooney at least can shoot his way out of a slump. Coleman is always bringing the ball down low and getting it slapped away.

Then again, its August and we get to watch SU play basketball- how cool is that??
great experience to build on.

The things that Mike G did well were things not recognized in box scores.. Overall he took care of the ball offensively, didn't force shots and played with composure, got his hands on offensive rebounds that lead to second chance opportunities, played solid positional defense and even helped with pressure release against the press from the 3 spot which was non existent last season.

He did have one brain fart in the first half with a terrible long outlet pass that found itself out of bounds and out of the reach of a streaking guard... He immediately realized how bad of a play it was unlike a guy like Christmas who has that look on his face like he's never done anything wrong.

How about the work that Grant has put in on his jump shooting... Looks much improved since last year already... Great to see kids work on weaknesses

At this point you've got to believe Ennis will be playing 30 probably 35 min a game and the frontcourt will be crowded with CJ Grant Roberson and the big 3. Which makes the playing time between Cooney and G at the 2 spot interesting to monitor. Might come down to who's hot on any given night

The things that Mike G did well were things not recognized in box scores.. Overall he took care of the ball offensively, didn't force shots and played with composure, got his hands on offensive rebounds that lead to second chance opportunities, played solid positional defense and even helped with pressure release against the press from the 3 spot which was non existent last season.

He did have one brain fart in the first half with a terrible long outlet pass that found itself out of bounds and out of the reach of a streaking guard... He immediately realized how bad of a play it was unlike a guy like Christmas who has that look on his face like he's never done anything wrong.

How about the work that Grant has put in on his jump shooting... Looks much improved since last year already... Great to see kids work on weaknesses
^^^This^^^
The other thing not mentioned is Grant's immediate recognition of shot clock and sense of urgency. Two times he brought the ball up when he saw an opening rather than waste time setting it up.
G is a solid ball handler as well.

At this point you've got to believe Ennis will be playing 30 probably 35 min a game and the frontcourt will be crowded with CJ Grant Roberson and the big 3. Which makes the playing time between Cooney and G at the 2 spot interesting to monitor. Might come down to who's hot on any given night

the only thing with this is you have to be very careful. physically Ennis is very small. He can't be more then 160, and that's generous. We have to hope his body holds up his first season playing major minutes at the highest level of ball. The last thing we need is him hitting a wall when March rolls around. I would really want to limit his minutes whenever possible in December in hopes of keeping him fresh down the stretch. The kid is a baller though. The last Freshman I remember thinking this highly of was Melo.

the only thing with this is you have to be very careful. physically Ennis is very small. He can't be more then 160, and that's generous. We have to hope his body holds up his first season playing major minutes at the highest level of ball. The last thing we need is him hitting a wall when March rolls around. I would really want to limit his minutes whenever possible in December in hopes of keeping him fresh down the stretch. The kid is a baller though. The last Freshman I remember thinking this highly of was Melo.
What about Paul Harris... Just kidding

Think Ennis is heavier than 160 but I understand your point. I just think nowadays vetween AAU, highschool ball, and camps kids are already accustomed to the grind of year round basketball. We'll see though. For some reason I remember Flynn a little dogged at the end of his freshman year. Or maybe it was sophomore year when we decided to extend games to 6 OTs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom