Think Silky Sullivan | Syracusefan.com

Think Silky Sullivan

alibrat66

2nd String
All this talk about our team being flawed (at 19-0 and #2 in the nation, no less!!) or that we're not improving reminds me of some of the great thoroughbreds that tended to run last or in the middle of the pack (Silky Sullivan, Seabiscuit, etc.), letting the other horses burn out or be overconfident, only to come from behind in the final quarter and win going away. This year's Cuse team seems to have that mentality; our guys take the opponents best shot, let them punch themselves out, then pass them coming down the stretch*.

*How's that for a mixed metaphor? My excuse is that I'm currently sleep-deprived.

I thought you were talking about this guy when I read the title.

image-326301905.jpg

The heavily favored California Comet lost to the great Tim Tam in the Derby on a sloppy track. Might have won on a fast track. Tim Tam also won the Preakness and was about to win the Belmont when he broke a bone in his foreleg. It was the first Derby I watched on TV and I remember the tragedy in the Belmont.

When SS started his stretch run the announcer would say Silll-keeeeee Syllivan now driving on the outside!

Great stuff.

Best closer in the modern era and one the best races ever, watch this race a couple times a year, its completely ridiculous. Zenyatta 2009 Breeders Cup Classic

That was an awesome race. As far as our style, I would describe us as more of a stalker, sitting just off the pace. We are never going to run 22 44 109, but not Zenyatta or the great Forego, either.

If the younger folks want to see what Silky Sullivan was, click the link and then play the video.
Great info. Learned something new. Thanks!

That was an awesome race. As far as our style, I would describe us as more of a stalker, sitting just off the pace. We are never going to run 22 44 109, but not Zenyatta or the great Forego, either.

I would agree. Definitely stalking, the great ones just have a flare for it. The call is just fantastic as well.

Will Take Charge did some serious stalking this year, last push in the Travers was incredible.

Last edited:
I would agree. Definitely stalking, the great ones just have a flare for it. The call is just fantastic as well.

Will Take Charge did some serious stalking this year, last push in the Travers was incredible.

But I am glad that his push in the Classic fell short, because I had the Macho Man..!

But I am glad that his push in the Classic fell short, because I had the Macho Man..!

I had WTC and Game on Dude, last leg of a pick 4 and whiffed on it, my kids love their Game on Dude so nobody was happy at our house. Great race though.

Best closer in the modern era and one the best races ever, watch this race a couple times a year, its completely ridiculous. Zenyatta 2009 Breeders Cup Classic

I was thinking Zenyatta as well for a modern comparison.

Here's another one, Honor Code. Impressive maiden winner last year at Saratoga and one of the leading contenders for the Derby (as of now).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYuNEajAhXk

Carry Back - that was my horse as a little kid. Check out how he closes in the Derby. Race starts at 2:58 mark.

I was thinking Zenyatta as well for a modern comparison.

Here's another one, Honor Code. Impressive maiden winner last year at Saratoga and one of the leading contenders for the Derby (as of now).

Honor Code going to show up big in the Gotham. Did you see what Cairo Prince did in the Holy Bull this weekend? 95 beyer. Impressive. I saw a very impressive LA bred in the LeComte last weekend, owned by Ramsey ridden by Rosie. Vicar's In Trouble, first go at two turns looked really good., has a shot I think

That rip by Honor Code reminds of Mine that Bird in the Derby on the rail

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom