Thinking of going with a luxury SUV, but more of | Syracusefan.com

Thinking of going with a luxury SUV, but more of

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
Mid size, not a tank (Navigator). Anyone have any yeahs or nays
(Porsch, Mercedes, Audi, Genesis, etc.)
Not sure I want to bite the bullet on that number.
Might lease through my business.

Considering a Chevy Tahoe with the 3.0 Diesel engine. Epa 20/26 is pretty good and about the same price or cheaper than anything you listed, unless you go Genesis gv70, which is too small for us. I really like the Gv80 though.

Considering a Chevy Tahoe with the 3.0 Diesel engine. Epa 20/26 is pretty good and about the same price or cheaper than anything you listed, unless you go Genesis gv70, which is too small for us. I really like the Gv80 though.
I have had Chevys. I have an Equinox now. Just looking to jazz it up a bit. (The Electric Blazer is sharp, though

I’ve got a 2020 Kia Telluride that I bought new and love. Does everything I need and then some. And I think the newer versions are even better, except the new badges which are goofy.

Before I bought this I tested the BMW X5 and the Audi Q7. Both solid vehicles and the beemer was a hybrid, but they were both more than the Telly and they were 3-4 years old already.

I do like the look of the Lincoln Aviator though.

My wife has an issue with me owning a Kia, but I’m still loving my ride and would be very interested in their new EV9 coming out in 2024.

I have a Volvo XC60. At first I really liked it. The ergonomics and all are top notch. Now it makes me feel like a middle-age woman (spoiler: I'm not one).

I test drove a bunch of smaller luxury SUVs. One rep, who deals in almost everything, told me if you want something to run more than 100k miles (without significant repairs), don't go German. I'm on the road a lot so I steered away from BMW and Audi for that reason (Mercedes is a little too flashy for what I do).

If I had a big budget (I dont) and didnt care how austere the vehicle looked (I need to), I'd get one of a Tesla Model X, Porsche Cayenne, or BMW X5 m. After years of coasting in the Volvo, it'd fun to have something really engineered which can move.

Last edited:
I have a Volvo XC60. At first I really liked it. The ergonomics and all are top notch. Now it makes me feel like a middle-age woman (spoiler: I'm not one).

I test drove a bunch of smaller luxury SUVs. One rep, who deals in almost everything, told me if you want something to run more than 100k miles (without significant repairs), don't go German. I'm on the road a lot so I steered away from BMW and Audi for that reason (Mercedes is a little to flashy for what I do).

If I had a big budget (I dont) and didnt care how austere the vehicle looked (I need to), I'd get one of a Tesla Model X, Porsche Cayenne, or BMW X5 m. After years of coasting in the Volvo, it'd fun to have something really engineered which can move.
The Volvo dealership up here, especially the service department, is miserable to deal with so I never considered them for a second. We had a V40 that we spent more on in maintenance than 3 other vehicles we’ve had combined. Nope

Not so humble brag
The Volvo dealership up here, especially the service department, is miserable to deal with so I never considered them for a second. We had a V40 that we spent more on in maintenance than 3 other vehicles we’ve had combined. Nope
I had a Volvo sedan before. Didn't really car for it. As I said, I don't know that I can pull the trigger for that much $$$. I really appreciate all of the input

I’ve been a Toyota guy for 35 years. In my lean years I’d go 250,000 without significant repairs. Currently driving a 2015 RAV4. 75,000 plus miles with no problems. I kept my last Toyota for over 99,000 miles with the only repair a rear brake bulb. I’m still pissed about that

A good friend had a Beamer took it in for 65,000 mile maintenance and was charged over three grand. My friend now drives a Toyota

Last edited:
I’ve been a Toyota guy for 35 years. In my lean years I’d go 250,000 without significant repairs. Currently driving a 2015 RAV4. 75,000 plus miles with no problems. My last Toyota went 99,000 plus with the only repair a rear brake bulb. I’m still pissed about that

A good friend had a Beamer took it in for 65,000 mile maintenance and was charged over three grand. My friend now drives a Toyota
We were a RAV4 family up until the redesign a couple of years ago. It seemed cheaper in cabin design and comfort. Bought an Outback instead. Love it!

Bought a gv70 end of the year. Highly recommend

I've always been partial to the Q7 but I'm not sure how easy it is to maintain. If theres only one dealer in town it can be a btch to get serviced (I suspect Mercedes and Porche are the same)

This has been my humblebrag for the day.

I've always been partial to the Q7 but I'm not sure how easy it is to maintain. If theres only one dealer in town it can be a btch to get serviced (I suspect Mercedes and Porche are the same)

This has been my humblebrag for the day.
We have a Q3. Audi is not cheap to maintain.

Wife drives a Volvo XC90. We enjoy it quite a bit. The Porsche SUV’s don’t live up to their brand in my opinion. Mercedes has to be the best appointed interior and they did a great job with their newest luxury/tech packages. I drive the e-class and love it.

Once you get into the luxuries I think they stand out more in regards to differences. Definitely need to test drive some of them and see what fits your style. I as I said didn't love driving the Porsche Suv's, but my buddy loves his Macan.

I've had a Ford Explorer for the last 8 years. Recently, I decided to go with a smaller luxury vehicle as I no longer cart the kids around. Therefore, it's just taking myself to work a couple times a week and around town. I settled on a Mercedes GLB 250. It's not very big, which I like. I love it. It came down to this, Genesis GV70, and a Volvo XC40. The tech inside of the vehicle won me over.

We’ve had two types of makes for over 10 years a piece. Audi & Toyota. I’ve never liked anything like an Audi and we’ve been so happy with my wife’s Highlanders that we’re on #3 now.

Repairs are more expensive on the Audi but they aren’t that often. Especially if you stay away from the dealer scheduled mileage service rackets. Most decent mechanics have the baseline software system to do core service/repair work on them like oil/breaks.

Buying a car right now is pretty painful, good luck on your hunt.

I've driven quite a few of the luxury brands and recently sold my X3. We actually ended up going with the highest trim Hyundai palisade recently. Same car as the Kia telluride, with a different body slapped on top. It's an amazing car for the price. Has a lot of high tech features, is trimmed out beautifully on the interior, and the maintenance costs won't be so painful.

Have the Mercedes GLS450. It’s a perfect size. Love iy

We’ve had two types of makes for over 10 years a piece. Audi & Toyota. I’ve never liked anything like an Audi and we’ve been so happy with my wife’s Highlanders that we’re on #3 now.

Repairs are more expensive on the Audi but they aren’t that often. Especially if you stay away from the dealer scheduled mileage service rackets. Most decent mechanics have the baseline software system to do core service/repair work on them like oil/breaks.

Buying a car right now is pretty painful, good luck on your hunt.
Yeah. Been waiting on my wife's new Subaru since February.

Yeah. Been waiting on my wife's new Subaru since February.

I have been waiting on a new Ford pick up truck since April of last year. It's crazy. Suppose to be built in a few weeks but I'll believe it when I see it