Third Best Team Ever? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Third Best Team Ever?

I'm calm, people laughed at me when I said 29-2 2 years ago. If they get consistent low post scoring they could possibly be the best Syracuse team ever. Are you really this arrogant in real life?

So how many wins are your projecting this year?

30?
29?
28?

and by "consistent low post scoring" you are talking about Keita, Coleman and or Christmas? You actually feel confident that this is likely to happen?

With these kind of inflated expectations, its no surprise some people --- not me, of course --- might be laughing at you.

I hope you are right about the prospects of this edition of SU basketball. But, I don;t think so.

30?
29?
28?

and by "consistent low post scoring" you are talking about Keita, Coleman and or Christmas? You actually feel confident that this is likely to happen?

With these kind of inflated expectations, its no surprise some people --- not me, of course --- might be laughing at you.

I hope you are right about the prospects of this edition of SU basketball. But, I don;t think so.
Here you go
http://syracusefan.com/threads/bold-predictions-for-the-2013-season.57491/

We will have 4 losses or less
Cooney will shoot right around 40% from 3.
Ennis will be ACC frosh of the year.
Coleman will be a monster this season.

30?
29?
28?

It's a long season. There are always lots of little injuries we do not hear about. I am thinking 4 or 5 losses based on away games and opponents. I imagine there will be one game we won when we should have lost. And I imagine there will be one game we lose that we should have won. And then there will be one game where the referees clearly had money on the game and it wasn't the color orange!

JOC44 said:
I would say that the 1987-88 team was the best I ever saw, and I have been watching since 1976.

I agree! The landscape of college basketball has changed dramatically since the 80s. Back then, Almost everyone stayed until at least their junior year. When players like DC, Charles Smith, Chris Mullins, Alonzo Morning etc played all 4 years in college. Competition was at a much higher level.
Now that this team has created its identity and Ennis and Cooney are stepping up, I think this is a good team but every SU team for the past 25 years has had a good start to their season.

30?
29?
28?

Here's my thread after our Gtown blow out loss
http://syracusefan.com/threads/i-really-love-this-team.46645/

And another
http://syracusefan.com/threads/the-sleeping-giant-has-awoken.46934/

I wouldnt anoint this team anything after 9 games. Very promising but I will hold off on the best team ever stuff until we get into the real meat of our schedule.

Taking into consideration the players that played for every team in the country and the era in which they played in I think the 09-10 teams was the best and the 88-89 team top to bottom was the most talented.

Agree on both counts. Although I strongly believe that the 11-12 team gives the 09-10 team a run for its money.

That 88-89 team was loaded. Had a fatal flaw: inconsistent outside shooting, which prevented them from maximizing their potential. I've seen this team put down by the numbers crowd, who just look at the record / how far they advanced and dismiss the team without understanding how dynamic that squad really was.

Only two other SU teams have ever been ranked this high or higher in Week #6. These were 89-90 team, which got bumped off in the S16 and the 2011-12 team which made it to the E8. Both these teams were ranked #1 in week 6.
Too early for this kind of ranking IMO.

Have you got the threads that show when your predictions were wrong?

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometime.
So me saying this team" could POSSIBLY be the best in my 33 years (if we can get our centers to start scoring) started this whole argument? Look I will believe in what I believe, you believe in what you think you are reading.

Are you sticking to that call on Coleman? Unless he wears a werewolf mask to one of our games, I doubt he'll reach monster status. I'm hoping for "somewhat effective."
You just hope for whatever makes you happy.

So me saying this team" could POSSIBLY be the best in my 33 years (if we can get our centers to start scoring) started this who argument? Look I will believe in what I believe, you believe in what you want to read.

Just realized What your avatar is...Home Alone. No clue how I figured that out; haven't seen that movie in probably 10 years.

You just hope for whatever makes you happy.

Not sure what you mean; I wasn't being critical of your prediction at all. I'm just curious if you've seen enough positive things from DC to merit considerable optimism.

I think on December 31st we will have a pretty good idea where this year's team stands. I think most of the questions will be answered. I doubt we will go undefeated without a quality post scorer. But who would have thought TC would be blazing the nets at this point????? I'm sorry, the future looks bright to me and it's color is ORANGE!!!!

This team isn't even top 3 in the last five years. I like this team a lot but let's not forget the past so easily.

09-10 ; arguably best team, sweet 16, big east champs
11-12 ; no fab melo in post season, elite 8, big east champs
12-13 ; final four
right now, I think this year's squad resembles the 08-09 a bit. Not in the component parts, but in the fact that they are very strong offensively but just OK (by recent standards) defensively.

I like the prospects, though, and look forward to seeing how things continue to develop.

Only two other SU teams have ever been ranked this high or higher in Week #6. These were 89-90 team, which got bumped off in the S16 and the 2011-12 team which made it to the E8. Both these teams were ranked #1 in week 6.
Its a by product of the degradation of the quality of college basketball. This might be a top 25 team in the mid 80's, if it played well. 1987 team Rony, DC, Sherman all FAR better than the counterparts. CJ better than Triche. Cooney likely superior to Monroe. Stevie better than Silent G. Grant better than Brower.

RF2044 said:
Agree on both counts. Although I strongly believe that the 11-12 team gives the 09-10 team a run for its money. That 88-89 team was loaded. Had a fatal flaw: inconsistent outside shooting, which prevented them from maximizing their potential. I've seen this team put down by the numbers crowd, who just look at the record / how far they advanced and dismiss the team without understanding how dynamic that squad really was.

Three players from that team have jerseys hanging in the rafters. Pretty talented

I'm calm, people laughed at me when I said 29-2 2 years ago. If they get consistent low post scoring they could possibly be the best Syracuse team ever. Are you really this arrogant in real life?

I am still confused... was I being arrogant? or was that a joke I didnt get?

I am still confused... was I being arrogant? or was that a joke I didnt get?
18_display_image.jpg

Not to be a party pooper but I recall a team that was 9-0 out of the gate, rose up through the polls to number 7, was 14-2 midway through the season when the collapse began. The team failed to make the tournament and ended up NIT bait.

It's a long season and it is divided into 3 distinct parts. Early pre- conference. Conference play/ Tournament. It should be sufficient to say the team is progressing nicely and the development of our guards has been particularly surprising. There is still much work to be done and there are many twists and turns in the course of a season.

On any given day, ANY team can put up a stinker. The reality of the situation is that a team can oftentimes learn more about itself and what it needs to do to improve as a result of a loss than winning and going without adversity. The most difficult portion of the schedule certainly lies ahead and this team will be tested. The euphoria of the early season success is quickly tempered here on the board when the 1st loss occurs. There will be wailing and the gnashing of teeth and calls for M2M and Boeheim's head on a pike. It's as predictable as boxer day, new years day, groundhog day and St. Valentines. The only difference is you know when those days are going to occur.

So me saying this team" could POSSIBLY be the best in my 33 years (if we can get our centers to start scoring) started this whole argument? Look I will believe in what I believe, you believe in what you think you are reading.

Well Rutgers could POSSIBLY make the Final Four this year. Of course, that's not very likely.

I wish I could follow your logic on how we are going to get to just "3 or 4 losses", but I just can't.

We played two teams in Hawaii with their best big men out. In one of these games we shot almost 90% from the line.

I was impressed with the Indiana win. But I still look at this team and see a couple of huge holes. The most glaring of these is the lack of a consistent go-to guy. I was expecting Fair to be that this year, but he is not getting the ball where he needs it to swing to the basket for those lay-ups he was getting last year.

When the game is on the line and we HAVE to have a basket. What's the play? Cooney from the three point line at 40%?

Three of four losses is the absolute best we can do. Six or seven losses is more realistic. The great wild car in this is Grant. He's still learning how to play. When he steps up a level --- and he will --- this team will take off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom