This board is so bad, it's almost funny | Syracusefan.com

This board is so bad, it's almost funny

SBU72

All Conference
Not so long ago, "fans" were calling for JB's head. He's lost it they said, the team and the ability to coach. Even last night in the game thread, somebody said that he had given up. Hahahahahahah. I guess the man can still coach. Can get the guys to do what needs to be done. Yeah, the team is FAR from perfect but man are they fighting back Which brings me to the two 5th years. White was roundly criticized for not playing D. Yeah he's not the greatest but boy has he made some really nice hustle plays of late. Even "mister best defensive player" had communication problems last night so don't be quick to judge. Then there is John G. people were ready to run him off campus. Now they are singing his praises. Its taken both of them time to adjust but adjust they have. And if they continue to improve, the season ain't going to end when most every body said it was.

Not so long ago, "fans" were calling for JB's head. He's lost it they said, the team and the ability to coach. Even last night in the game thread, somebody said that he had given up. Hahahahahahah. I guess the man can still coach. Can get the guys to do what needs to be done. Yeah, the team is FAR from perfect but man are they fighting back Which brings me to the two 5th years. White was roundly criticized for not playing D. Yeah he's not the greatest but boy has he made some really nice hustle plays of late. Even "mister best defensive player" had communication problems last night so don't be quick to judge. Then there is John G. people were ready to run him off campus. Now they are singing his praises. Its taken both of them time to adjust but adjust they have. And if they continue to improve, the season ain't going to end when most every body said it was.

Are you looking for some negatives for each of those folks last night? I can help with that...

Nahhh. Not going to do it. We got a much needed win on the road in conference play last night. We can let JB worry about the negatives (like maybe getting the defense to show up next game...)

Please create board rules.
Once the rules are established then hold people accountable.
I mean this post is no better than what you
Complain about. Thank goodness we won we needed it. 99.9% of the people on this board are SU fans and want to win.
If you don't get the frustration this season then I don't get it.
Ignore people or call them out by name with facts.

No, you are almost funny. We beat a sub500 ACC school in overtime, basically due to one of the single greatest individual efforts by a player in Syracuse University basketball history.

Sad to say it, but it's a little premature to declare anyone was right or wrong at this stage, unless you think John Gillon scoring 43 points a game is a sustainable business model going forward.

Then there is John G. people were ready to run him off campus. Now they are singing his praises.
while I was never even close to "running him off campus," I was critical of Gillon. I didn't think he would be able to compete vs. ACC caliber competition. I am very happy to see him proving me wrong

Let me steer you to some of the research regarding Behavioral Finance, which is instructive on this topic.

Humans are hopelessly emotional and irrational actors. They would rather buy something after it has run up 20%, 50% or 100% than when it is selling off and on the bargain table. The public typically buys near the top and then gets washed out near the lows. Same sort of behavior is exhibited by sports fans- when their team is losing they suck and are the worst, when their team is winning or coming back delirium grows and they are awesome.

You are railing against the wind.

Please create board rules.
Once the rules are established then hold people accountable.
I mean this post is no better than what you
Complain about. Thank goodness we won we needed it. 99.9% of the people on this board are SU fans and want to win.
If you don't get the frustration this season then I don't get it.
Ignore people or call them out by name with facts.
Whoa.
Yes.
Thank you.

People reacted to what was happening at the time.
There are extremes on both sides of the line. It's up to YOU to filter what you read.
If you credit JB for the turnaround, don't you also have to hold him accountable for the need to turn it around? At the very least, and obviously when taking into account his own words, JB poorly assessed this team.
Lastly, many of the reasons why we are now playing without the ineptitude of earlier season games may be attributed to factors proposed by the 'dissenters' you cannot abide.

I mean if we played like we have most of the ACC in Non-Conference play we probably are somewhere around 17-6. People are still frustrated about that. Unfortunately we can't re-write history.

the team now would definitely beat uconn and st johns. gtown and south carolina would still be tough games.

Some people are concerned with how team plays and some are only concerned with the fans (e.g., they don't cheer loud enough, they don't show up to games, they drink too much, don't drink enough, the students don't care, the students rush the court, fans post mean things about JAB, fans leave early, etc.) Blah blah blah. Don't worry about other fans and you'll be OK. No one on this board has a lick of responsibility for how the team plays.

Last edited:
I mean if we played like we have most of the ACC in Non-Conference play we probably are somewhere around 17-6. People are still frustrated about that. Unfortunately we can't re-write history.

I haven't been able to get the losses to UCONN, St. John's, and BC out of my head. I know it's futile to keep thinking about it. But like you said, the team is 17-6 without those awful losses and in no immediate danger of missing the dance.

It's upsetting.

I haven't been able to get the losses to UCONN, St. John's, and BC out of my head. I know it's futile to keep thinking about it. But like you said, the team is 17-6 without those awful losses and in no immediate danger of missing the dance.

It's upsetting.

Take those 3 losses away and maybe even Georgetown and everybody is feeling a lot better about the season year to date as well as going forward.

No, you are almost funny. We beat a sub500 ACC school in overtime, basically due to one of the single greatest individual efforts by a player in Syracuse University basketball history.

Indeed. Undoubtedly, last night's win was spectacular, however, what you point out is 100% accurate and objective...not to mention a team that isn't a tournament team.

Any away game win is good. How about non-tournament GT? Or maybe they are getting there now after guarding their home floor.

And as for posters that are negative, just think of the ones we haven't seen post since the wins continued.

You need to learn which posters to ignore.
nod.gif

The zone is still a disaster, as many have said.

The offensive flow is non-existent far too often, relying on our guys hitting 3's, which we've been able to do lately.

And we ALL said PG play was terrible. Gillon has gotten the keys and stepped up.

Most of what was said about JB had to do with the zone and with recruiting. Not sure how any of that has changed in a month.

We've been horrid most of the season. Posts like this make no sense. We win one game against a team that was 14-9 and then act like we're not allowed to criticize the team. I would say the majority of criticisms against this team have been fair.

The zone is still a disaster, as many have said.

The offensive flow is non-existent far too often, relying on our guys hitting 3's, which we've been able to do lately.

And we ALL said PG play was terrible. Gillon has gotten the keys and stepped up.

Most of what was said about JB had to do with the zone and with recruiting. Not sure how any of that has changed in a month.
some of it was that . . . but I think the most scathing stuff was that the team had quit on him & the game had passed him by

also, although the defense last night was terrible and this has been a weak team defensively most of the year, the FSU game was won primarily because of the effectiveness of the zone

The press deployed by JB was/is a desperation play. Dire straits. Nothing more/nothing less. JB would admit that. We got lucky it worked a little. I never thought Gillon and White were the problems.

Let me steer you to some of the research regarding Behavioral Finance, which is instructive on this topic.

Humans are hopelessly emotional and irrational actors. They would rather buy something after it has run up 20%, 50% or 100% than when it is selling off and on the bargain table. The public typically buys near the top and then gets washed out near the lows. Same sort of behavior is exhibited by sports fans- when their team is losing they suck and are the worst, when their team is winning or coming back delirium grows and they are awesome.

You are railing against the wind.

old.jpg

I was very critical of JB after one game, and I can't remember which one but it was fairly recent, in which it looked like he simply gave up. But I commend him for putting certain players (Coleman, Howard, and Chukwu before his injury) on the bench and going with a very set lineup. I am not a fan of 100% zone defense but it is useless to complain about that. I have never been critical of White, whom I believe has been SU's best overall player this season. EVERYONE on this board has been critical at times with Gillon. A few complained about his attitude where he said early on he was the best PG on the team and expected to play the major minutes. I remember early in the season when Lydon couldn't hit a 3 certain individuals were on his case (too much bulk). This is simply the nature of these boards -- very emotional posts laced with truths and opinions.