This board is so bad, it's almost funny | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This board is so bad, it's almost funny

I was very critical of JB after one game, and I can't remember which one but it was fairly recent, in which it looked like he simply gave up. But I commend him for putting certain players (Coleman, Howard, and Chukwu before his injury) on the bench and going with a very set lineup. I am not a fan of 100% zone defense but it is useless to complain about that. I have never been critical of White, whom I believe has been SU's best overall player this season. EVERYONE on this board has been critical at times with Gillon. A few complained about his attitude where he said early on he was the best PG on the team and expected to play the major minutes. I remember early in the season when Lydon couldn't hit a 3 certain individuals were on his case (too much bulk). This is simply the nature of these boards -- very emotional posts laced with truths and opinions.

Heck, people were complaining that the team had no balls during the game last night in the game thread.

some of it was that . . . but I think the most scathing stuff was that the team had quit on him & the game had passed him by

also, although the defense last night was terrible and this has been a weak team defensively most of the year, the FSU game was won primarily because of the effectiveness of the zone

People suggested the team quit during a particular game. Did anyone think they weren't going to come out to try to win the next one?
People suggested that JB hasn't been coaching (in between games, plus recruiting) with the same level of energy as in the first 30 years. I don't think that has been disproven. Maybe that's part of the "passing him by." That, and the lack of adjustments. But, he adjusted against Fl State, and we started the game jumping and trapping, putting them on their heels. For once, we initiated rather than waiting until desperation time to do something different. Seemed to have had a positive effect.
Some people suggested he stop treating the team like we had 10 interchangeable players, and that he should choose a Five and use the others as reserves. Whether by intention or incidence, that's what happened. It was suggested Robey should be allowed to play through his issues. That's what happened...

Web forums are like olympic scoring. Toss away the high and low scores (the extremes on both sides of the arguments. Deal with the rest—on both sides.

Sad to say it, but it's a little premature to declare anyone was right or wrong at this stage, unless you think John Gillon scoring 43 points a game is a sustainable business model going forward.
Actually that is my point. People are so eager to be first in making a judgment that they don't want to wait for the events to unfold. "Dewey Wins!" Let the season playout. Sure make your comments but don't make absolute judgements, use qualifiers.

Actually that is my point. People are so eager to be first in making a judgment that they don't want to wait for the events to unfold. "Dewey Wins!" Let the season playout. Sure make your comments but don't make absolute judgements, use qualifiers.

When you are showing no signs of life and down 16 points to a pretty bad team, you can't blame people for being upset.

This I can totally agree with. People who speak in absolutes are total idiots.

Are you looking for some negatives for each of those folks last night? I can help with that...

Nahhh. Not going to do it. We got a much needed win on the road in conference play last night. We can let JB worry about the negatives (like maybe getting the defense to show up next game...)
You said you weren't going to do it and then bam you did it.

You said you weren't going to do it and then bam you did it.

That wasn't really about the game last night. It was a hope for the next game... Subtle difference if you look very, very closely. No, closer...

When you are showing no signs of life and down 16 points to a pretty bad team, you can't blame people for being upset.
Come on Brian, they played very well until the last minute of the first half on the road against a team with a stud freshman point guard who will be a top 10 draft pick. Then, of course, the bottom dropped out, triggering countless premature hissy fits throughout Orange Nation.

Come on Brian, they played very well until the last minute of the first half on the road against a team with a stud freshman point guard who will be a top 10 draft pick. Then, of course, the bottom dropped out, triggering countless premature hissy fits throughout Orange Nation.

I'm glad I didn't pull the computer out while I was watching the game. Sometimes being delayed has tremendous perks. Not making a jackwagon of yourself being the primary one I'm thinking of.

Sad to say it, but it's a little premature to declare anyone was right or wrong at this stage, unless you think John Gillon scoring 43 points a game is a sustainable business model going forward.

Agree with that. Hard to imagine anyone left on our schedule playing defense so catastrophically poorly as NC State did. That switching did not work all night.

Agree with that. Hard to imagine anyone left on our schedule playing defense so catastrophically poorly as NC State did. That switching did not work all night.
I think our biggest issue is point guard next year. I mean I thought we finally had some stability with Gillon and now he is going to leave for the draft. This always happens to us.

some of it was that . . . but I think the most scathing stuff was that the team had quit on him & the game had passed him by

also, although the defense last night was terrible and this has been a weak team defensively most of the year, the FSU game was won primarily because of the effectiveness of the zone
I feel like most of the game had passed him by was about him not recruiting as hard anymore ie going to kids high school games. There are people with zone issues and offensive issues but I feel like most of the passing him by wasn't about that.

They have a stud player, but they are 3-7 in the league, with a terrible coach.

I'm glad I didn't pull the computer out while I was watching the game. Sometimes being delayed has tremendous perks. Not making a jackwagon of yourself being the primary one I'm thinking of.
I've never figured out how anyone can watch an SU game and post in the game thread or chat room at the same time, or why they would even want to. I sometimes look at the board at halftime, but rarely post anything until after the game.

I've never figured out how anyone can watch an SU game and post in the game thread or chat room at the same time, or why they would even want to. I sometimes look at the board at halftime, but rarely post anything until after the game.

Its' hard to do both, I usually will post a couple of times during a timeout if I need to vent about the way we are playing, or make a point.

We can't talk about individual games? What do you mean, wait for the season to play out?
Seems like you only want positive, supportive, uplifting, happy-pappy things expressed here, until the end of the season. Then, people can discuss and vent.

I don't know how you can get everyone to stop using absolutes. It's PEOPLE. Everyone has a different way of responding to something and a different way of expressing themselves. You're talking about a hell of a lot of different personalities. People gon' be people.

I think i only started visiting the game threads this year or last year—can't remember. With an iPad, it's easy. Natural. And you don't have to do it during play. There are plenty of timeouts, commercials, halftime, etc. It's not at all distracting. It's kinda fun/funny at times. Feels like a bunch of shut-ins watching a game together. And, peculiarly, there isn't much bickering... We pretty much rise and fall together.

We can't talk about individual games? What do you mean, wait for the season to play out?
Seems like you only want positive, supportive, uplifting, happy-pappy things expressed here, until the end of the season. Then, people can discuss and vent.

I don't know how you can get everyone to stop using absolutes. It's PEOPLE. Everyone has a different way of responding to something and a different way of expressing themselves. You're talking about a hell of a lot of different personalities. People gon' be people.
No, I don't want only positive opinions but the ones wishing JB would retire mid season are a little be much. Or absolute comments that JG can't play pg in the ACC or that White is truly only a 1 dimensional player. Or declaring that the season is over even before the ACC schedule starts. Saying that the team is playing really bad (maybe an understatement before the ACC!) is true. Saying that the defense stinks may be true but saying that it can't improve because the players are stink is beyond.

I think i only started visiting the game threads this year or last year—can't remember. With an iPad, it's easy. Natural. And you don't have to do it during play. There are plenty of timeouts, commercials, halftime, etc. It's not at all distracting. It's kinda fun/funny at times. Feels like a bunch of shut-ins watching a game together. And, peculiarly, there isn't much bickering... We pretty much rise and fall together.
I get the appeal, it's just too much of a distraction for me.

I get the appeal, it's just too much of a distraction for me.

I try it from time to time. Now that I think about it, really the only time I'm actively discussing the game is when I'm sitting at my desk watching the game online because it's not on a regular channel. I rarely ever watch the game live either, so I don't want to 'spoil the surprise' for myself.

For sure! JB himself stated, yet again, that he lives in the moment and if he says, in the moment of course, that our defense is really really bad, and our guard play is as bad as he has ever seen, to that moment, I certainly won't be disagreeing with him. ;):)

Though I'm not firmly disagreeing, the statement that the Florida St. victory occurred primarily because of the zone is a bit of an overstatement that cannot be supported by the numbers. That same zone surrendered 16 of SU's 18-point lead in the second half once the Seminoles' best player returned to the floor.

The zone helped us win to some extent. However, the poor defensive strategy employed by Florida St. (including their inability to defend good guards, which I have detailed in other posts) and our players burying free throws down the stretch were just as, if not more, important.