This Canada US game will be as good as it gets | Syracusefan.com

This Canada US game will be as good as it gets

swish7

All Conference
Two skilled, physical teams. The score may end up being 6-5, but this is some beautiful lacrosse.

1st q (plus a little) thoughts...
- usa needs to shoot better, good opportunities have been wide
- Canada is getting long possessions, taking their time and being super patient
- USA needs to go from the attack, need to find out if 8 and 48 can cover USA attackers.
- wish Schwartzman would stay in the goal and hold his ground
- ssdm is not looking good for USA right now. It was a mistake by staff to not take another ssdm. Harrison should have been left behind for Reynolds from md or Kevin Drew.

Second half keys...
- faceoffs, need to beat snider. He has killed the USA for ages
- offensive possessions and ground balls
- press out on defense, especially Durkin. He has really impressed me tonight, aggressive play out of that blue jay
- Rabil, Pannell time for you boys to step up.

This isn't going to end well for the USA. USA middies are non-existent in this game.

Richie Meade - Furman (previous Navy)
Jeff Tambroni (offense) - PSU
Dave Peitramala (defense) - Hopkins
Kevin Cassese - Lehigh

So I missed the first 2 and a half quarters... Were we asleep? Looking awake now

USA didn't shoot well to start, then they couldn't get the ball. Canada had real long possessions and the USA didn't pressure them at all. They seemed content to hang around and let Canada dictate the tempo of the game.

USLacrosse made some critical errors in picking this team. Never liked having Harrison as a ssdm, didn't like six attackmen, and thought they should of had Walters or Baum at midfield.

I guess we can cross these guys off the list of Desko replacements now. :rolleyes:
Matt Brown solidified himself as the next big head coach in college lacrosse. Hopefully, Dr. Gross is on his way to Denver now (insert funny face that I do not know how to place)! That offense was perfect last night. A lot of people bitch about stalling, but it looked patient to me and the US defense did nothing to force the issue. I have a bigger problem with the USA sitting back on their heels than Canada's stalling.

Matt Brown solidified himself as the next big head coach in college lacrosse. Hopefully, Dr. Gross is on his way to Denver now (insert funny face that I do not know how to place)! That offense was perfect last night. A lot of people bitch about stalling, but it looked patient to me and the US defense did nothing to force the issue. I have a bigger problem with the USA sitting back on their heels than Canada's stalling.

Pretty sure Brown is a Denver lifer. Lucky them.

Agreed, he is most likely going to be there for the foreseeable future. Not sure how long tierney plans on coaches. Could see a school like Michigan getting tired of their club coach and making a big play for Brown. That would be a dangerous spot, hour away from Ontario and a massive budget.

Listening to Bill Tierney advocate for a shot clock during the broadcast was as entertaining as the game itself.

I felt like I've seen this game before - watching team Canada beat the US felt like every Princeton/SU matchup from 92-04.

Fatty Schwartzman is a great ball stopper but needs to keep his arse firmly planted in the crease. Ward is crazy quick for his height; very impressive.

Surprised by Seibald's cheap shot on Ward - that trip was bush league.

Durkin was outstanding. Rabil disappeared when it mattered most. Kevin Leveille was the best we could muster at crease?!? Really?? Hard to be upset with the loss given the lack of CNY representation.

Of course Tierney wants a shot clock. He has the best offensive coach in the game and a ton of offensive talent. His defense is good enough to scheme out wins.

Agree on a lot of the above, except Leveille. I thought he played extremely well last night and finished most of his chances. That said, I think they should of had more of Crotty and Mundorf on attack with Pannell.

The more I think about it, the biggest issue with this USA team was their lack of heart and leadership. The 2010 team had Ryan Powell, Brian Doughrety and Chris Schiller. Each of those guys are awesome leaders and provided veteran leaders at each position. Who were the leaders on this team?

The more I think about it, the biggest issue with this USA team was their lack of heart and leadership. The 2010 team had Ryan Powell, Brian Doughrety and Chris Schiller. Each of those guys are awesome leaders and provided veteran leaders at each position. Who were the leaders on this team?

There was no grit to the team, at least not last night. Just a bunch of JHU pretty boys who were afraid to get hurt. Rabil is awesome. I didn't realize what great stick skills he has. Really impressive. But, he has got to be the leader. Where was the offensive aggressiveness? How many shots did he take? 1? I heard from Quint how he was the leader and hardest worker on the team. Didn't help last night.

Why was Joel White not on the team? Was he he hurt? Has he gotten too old? The team needed somebody like him. It was missing a gritty side. Whatever happened to long stick defensive midfielders?

Canada turned Pannell and Seibald into yard sales, just like they did to Lyle Thompson. What a helpless feeling it must be to see your studs knocked on their butts over and over.

Thought Leveille was awesome.

Canada played so well. So smart; so skilled; so much heart; so dominating. Hats off.

Should've clarified my Leveille comment: I don't think he played poorly; I'm wondering why a younger, more productive crease attackman couldn't be found.

As someone said above - too many softees on this team. For such a hardass, Petro seems to attract/bank on quite a few players who lack heart & toughness.

Joel White did not try out, not sure if it was his choice or USLacrosse's. Here is the list of invited LSM for the opening tryouts last summer:

Jesse Bernhardt, Chesapeake Bayhawks, Maryland
Matt Bocklet, Denver Outlaws, Johns Hopkins
Brian Farrell, Boston Cannons, Maryland
Kyle Hartzell, Ohio Machine, Salisbury
Brian Karalunas, New York Lizards, Villanova
John LoCascio, Villanova #
Scott Ratliff, Boston Cannons, Loyola
Dillon Roy, Denver Outlaws, Denver

Last edited:
To bad Casey Powell didnt try out for this years team, the lack of a big time scorer really showed through on Saturday. Leveille turned it over way to many times and Panell and Seibald were MIA when it mattered most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom