This feels...significant??? NCAA potentially owes BILLIONS in back pay to athletes... | Syracusefan.com

This feels...significant??? NCAA potentially owes BILLIONS in back pay to athletes...

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American

Friday news dump, but this feels potentially massive?

Class-action status in the damages portion of an antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA was granted by a federal judge on Friday, a decision that could put the association on the hook for a potential multibillion dollar payout to former and current college athletes.

House vs. the NCAA is being heard in the Northern District of California by Judge Claudia Wilken, whose previous rulings in NCAA cases paved the way for college athletes to profit from their fame and for schools to direct more money into their hands.

Brought by Arizona State swimmer Grant House in 2020, the lawsuit challenges the NCAA's remaining name, image and likeness compensation rules. TCU women's basketball player Sedona Prince; and former Illinois football player Tymir Oliver are also listed as plaintiffs.

Wilken's latest ruling could make more than 14,000 current and former college athletes eligible to claim damages if the NCAA loses the case.

You won't find it as funny once they hit both JB and Red with another 100 less w's
My very first thought! My oh my, we are a paranoid bunch.

Friday news dump, but this feels potentially massive?
Isn’t the NCAA actually the universities themselves? Would each university be taxed to pay any reparations due? Yikes.

Stupid! If you are an athlete and don't want an education you should feel free to go pro when you complete high school, like baseball. It might be a tough path, but if you are good enough without the development that you undergo in college than go for it!!

And why is it the NCAA that damaged those athletes and not the pro leagues that didn't establish viable professional minor league alternatives like baseball has done (ie. minor league football)?

In fact, why should athletes even have to go to high school??

Stupid! If you are an athlete and don't want an education you should feel free to go pro when you complete high school, like baseball. It might be a tough path, but if you are good enough without the development that you undergo in college than go for it!!

And why is it the NCAA that damaged those athletes and not the pro leagues that didn't establish viable professional minor league alternatives like baseball has done (ie. minor league football)?

In fact, why should athletes even have to go to high school??

The crux of the issue in this case is that courts already ruled that preventing players from profiting from their name, image, and likeness was wrong. If it’s wrong now, it was wrong then. This gives former players an avenue to earn the NIL they should have earned back in the day.

I don’t think this is going to be worth billions, though. It seems like that number is coming from tv deals and it’s unlikely the courts will rule that that the NCAA owes players all, or even most, of that money.

The NCAA did profit substantially from athletes (football players and basketball during March Madness), however; and it’s already been determined that compensation in the form of scholarships does not suffice to offset the NIL restrictions that existed.

All of this in conjunction with the fact that the NCAA’s limits on compensation were never primarily driven by an actual desire to protect athletes or the integrity of the sports puts me firmly on the athletes’ side here. Amateurism is the card the NCAA played almost solely to avoid paying athletes.

The NCAA did profit substantially from athletes (football players and basketball during March Madness), however; and it’s already been determined that compensation in the form of scholarships does not suffice to offset the NIL restrictions that existed.

I guess I don’t disagree with your interpretation, but I disagree that the NCAA profited from individual athletes as individuals. The individual college athlete’s NIL has very little, if any, value without the school name and/or logo.

Maybe “big name” athletes should be further reimbursing the schools for the NIL value that being able to compete for those University’s has created for them??

I guess I don’t disagree with your interpretation, but I disagree that the NCAA profited from individual athletes as individuals. The individual college athlete’s NIL has very little, if any, value without the school name and/or logo.

Maybe “big name” athletes should be further reimbursing the schools for the NIL value that being able to compete for those University’s has created for them??

This isn’t necessarily NCAA, but look how hyped Zion was in his Duke year. Also there’d be promos for Jonny Flynn and Syracuse takes on Kemble Walker and UConn on Big Monday. This type of marketing certainly helps the NCAA make money even if it wasn’t the NCAA itself. Also shows the hypocrisy of the NCAA, everyone but the athletes was allowed to profit off the athletes.

I hope the NCAA is destroyed. It isn’t quite as bad as FIFA or the IOC, but it deserves to be destroyed.

This isn’t necessarily NCAA, but look how hyped Zion was in his Duke year. Also there’d be promos for Jonny Flynn and Syracuse takes on Kemble Walker and UConn on Big Monday. This type of marketing certainly helps the NCAA make money even if it wasn’t the NCAA itself. Also shows the hypocrisy of the NCAA, everyone but the athletes was allowed to profit off the athletes.

I hope the NCAA is destroyed. It isn’t quite as bad as FIFA or the IOC, but it deserves to be destroyed.

If it gets dissolved expect something similar to replace it, repackaged to protect against legal liabilities in the new era of NIL...

That, in of itself, would force some definite changes but make no mistake that a lot of old guard will try and keep as much of the gravy train going as possible.

After attorneys fees, the athletes will split the remaining $56,000.
More than they would have received without the attorneys. Not that folks like you (who think attorneys should not make money, and that they never lose cases, and thus hundreds of thousands of dollars) care, but fees must be approved by the court in a class action case.

More than they would have received without the attorneys. Not that folks like you (who think attorneys should not make money, and that they never lose cases, and thus hundreds of thousands of dollars) care, but fees must be approved by the court in a class action case.
Plus the cost of litigation like this is insane. These lawyers invested millions to get to this point and only get paid if they win. They deserve every penny.

It was a simple, common joke, friend. I respect attorneys, law, and ‘the system’ (mostly). No offense was intended. Apologies for hurt feelings.

{snip}

{snip}
You need to be careful about the wording you use here. The "NCAA", i.e. the HQ in Indianapolis, has not made single penny from what is now FBS football since the Supreme Court took away its control over TV rights in 1984, the schools and conferences do. It doesn't control any regular season TV money in any sport at any level. NCAA HQ does make its serious money on the D-1 basketball tournament, and their argument is that the money is then used to fund the rest of the championships at all levels in all sports.

People must rid themselves of the idea that there is a huge pile of cash just sitting there in Indianapolis.

You need to be careful about the wording you use here. The "NCAA", i.e. the HQ in Indianapolis, has not made single penny from what is now FBS football since the Supreme Court took away its control over TV rights in 1984, the schools and conferences do. It doesn't control any regular season TV money in any sport at any level. NCAA HQ does make its serious money on the D-1 basketball tournament, and their argument is that the money is then used to fund the rest of the championships at all levels in all sports.

People must rid themselves of the idea that there is a huge pile of cash just sitting there in Indianapolis.

I intended that as shorthand for the NCAA and its member institutions. Whatever award money comes from this class action suit, if it gets there, will almost certainly come from the member institutions, not HQ or solely HQ.

I intended that as shorthand for the NCAA and its member institutions. Whatever award money comes from this class action suit, if it gets there, will almost certainly come from the member institutions, not HQ or solely HQ.
That's my problem with the shorthand. In this situation, you can't use it to cover both because if and when they finally come up with an assessment of damages, they're going to have to separate it out over who owes what. NCAA HQ didn't come up with the rule, the member schools did. And for football, everything since 1984 falls onto the member schools and conferences.

Why do we force kids that have no interest in getting an education to pursue their professional sports careers by attending college?? Create true minor leagues for football and basketball that would allow the kids that are not interested in the free education they receive to have an alternate path.

The NCAA is doing exactly what it should be doing, trying to preserve a true amateur level of competition and maintain as much equity in its ranks as is reasonably possible without telling schools they can't accept donations from their wealthy donors and forcing them all to operate within the same annual budget.

Why do we force kids that have no interest in getting an education to pursue their professional sports careers by attending college?? Create true minor leagues for football and basketball that would allow the kids that are not interested in the free education they receive to have an alternate path.

The NCAA is doing exactly what it should be doing, trying to preserve a true amateur level of competition and maintain as much equity in its ranks as is reasonably possible without telling schools they can't accept donations from their wealthy donors and forcing them all to operate within the same annual budget.
"We" don't force them, the NBA and NFL owners do because they don't want to spend the money to create viable minor leagues that feed into their systems, like baseball has. "One and done" was created by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the owners and the NBA Players Assn., not the NCAA as many mistakenly believe. I've called it the "Help us to keep from drafting another Kwame Brown" Rule because it was introduced into the CBA just after that fiasco.

"We" don't force them, the NBA and NFL owners do because they don't want to spend the money to create viable minor leagues that feed into their systems, like baseball has. "One and done" was created by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the owners and the NBA Players Assn., not the NCAA as many mistakenly believe. I've called it the "Help us to keep from drafting another Kwame Brown" Rule because it was introduced into the CBA just after that fiasco.

No kidding?!? The current overall system forces them. And we assist it by spending lots of money to watch big name Frosh play hoops or football and allow “one and done” to continue to be a viable alternative to a minor league system.