this is a culmination of multiple seasons of disastrous roster management | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

this is a culmination of multiple seasons of disastrous roster management

John Gillon and Andrew White were the only reason that team was competitive.
I remember after the BC beatdown that year on NYD and the next game against Miami JB sitting FH's a$$ down and going all-in with Gillon and that turning the season around.

Grad transfers aren't the problem. The problem has been recruiting a ball handler and an-around big.

If we had that 2016-2017 post-BC team this season we would be a tournament.

The only rotation player from that team who didn't like Gillon was Lydon.

Our team this year has actually gotten better this year. The problem is this team is just flawed.
Great post. Remind me, why did Lydon not like John Gillon? Are you saying personally, or he just didn’t like playing with him?

Cooney wasnt a D1 calibre player.

...seemed like an appropriate take for this thread of closet skeletons

Tyler Roberson is a bad shooter because of Boeheim‘s comments about him in press conferences!

Great post. Remind me, why did Lydon not like John Gillon? Are you saying personally, or he just didn’t like playing with him?
Not going to air private laundry but the two didn't like each other. That is nice way of saying what people around the program told me.

I don't remember one poster complaining about wasting a scholarship on Gillon the night he scored 43 against NC State, or the night he beat Duke at the buzzer.

It's a different perspective than win now at all cost. Gillon helped us offensively but also hurt us defensively. Same with White. But the opportunity cost can't be calculated. What if we had used those scholarships on freshmen? Would that of helped us down the road?

There was no opportunity cost with taking White and Gillon for one year. Recruiting for that cycle was done. Scholarships were available for the next cycle. The problem wasn’t taking those two — it was missing on PGs and Cs who chose to go elsewhere.

It's a different perspective than win now at all cost. Gillon helped us offensively but also hurt us defensively. Same with White. But the opportunity cost can't be calculated. What if we had used those scholarships on freshmen? Would that of helped us down the road?
White was a last minute replacement for Malachi who headed to the NBA after his performance against UVA .

By the time Malachi declared his NBA intentions in April, there really weren't any decent freshmen left on the board, just warm bodies.

Dio you want to use the scholarship on a mid or lower major kid who'd never get off the bench (and just end up transferring), or take a one year rental on a Grad Transfer?

So, you're saying the surgery Carey had on his thumb was unneccessary? Guess we'd better call the medical ethics board.

In all fairness, there were many times last year when I didn't think Carey had thumbs.

Maybe it was a surgery to add them?

Not a lot of takes bemoaning the decisions to take White and Gillon in the fall of 2016 when we were preseason top 25.

Just thinking out loud.

We don't recruit at the level we used to.

That's compounded with players that leave earlier than anyone would think, or some who just don't show up at all.

Maybe the 8 year old that just committed changes things in a few years. But it's not rocket(ship) science, to quote JB and (P).

We don't recruit at the level we used to.

That's compounded with players that leave earlier than anyone would think, or some who just don't show up at all.

Maybe the 8 year old that just committed changes things in a few years. But it's not rocket(ship) science, to quote JB and (P).

Maybe if we didn't recruit guys with NBA potential, all our players would stay 4 years? :D

Yes, we need to find the players right in that meaty part of the curve...not showing off, not falling behind.
Freaking Oshae Brissett left after his Sophomore year and wasn't an NBA draft pick.
All decent players are NBA prospects. Our problem is our rosters haven't been balanced and our teams have been flawed because of roster management.
Also I think we get negatively recruited against because JB has no filter.

The Jordan era of kids could handle being criticized when its warranted.
The LeBron era of kids have to have their egos stroked even when they need a kick in the a$$.

Elite players want to be loved nowadays. Before they could handle being coached.

Freaking Oshae Brissett left after his Sophomore year and wasn't an NBA draft pick.
All decent players are NBA prospects. Our problem is our rosters haven't been balanced and our teams have been flawed because of roster management.
Also I think we get negatively recruited against because JB has no filter.

I was 100% being sarcastic.

There was no opportunity cost with taking White and Gillon for one year. Recruiting for that cycle was done. Scholarships were available for the next cycle. The problem wasn’t taking those two — it was missing on PGs and Cs who chose to go elsewhere.

Seems like a repeating pattern; missing on point guards and centers

White was a last minute replacement for Malachi who headed to the NBA after his performance against UVA .

By the time Malachi declared his NBA intentions in April, there really weren't any decent freshmen left on the board, just warm bodies.

Dio you want to use the scholarship on a mid or lower major kid who'd never get off the bench (and just end up transferring), or take a one year rental on a Grad Transfer?

And, without checking, I think we still had scholarships available for the 2016-2017 season that were not used even WITH Gillon and White if there were.

So there's that.

It’s the risk you take when you post deep cuts like that.
You recruit a kid like Brisset who TELLS you he wants to be an architect then suddenly he thinks he’s a city planner.

Haha, I knew someone would catch it!

And, without checking, I think we still had scholarships available for the 2016-2017 season that were not used even WITH Gillon and White if there were.

So there's that.
That is the problem our roster hasn't been full of 13 scholarship players without walkons since 2011-2012.

I mean the excuses of the sanction scholarships is just bullchit spin so people can try and shut people who are frustrated up.
It's just not true. JB doesn't use all his scholarships these past 15 years. He gives 1-2 most years to walkons.

The sanctions cost us Kevin Huerter and then a bunch of walkons lost scholarships if people were fair in ananalyzing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom