This is simple... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is simple...

I have attended all of the luncheons and have been a huge supporter of HCDM but today I left the Dome wondering if he is the right guy for the job.

I totally agree with your comments that Marrone is trying to do treat the players today like he was treated in the in the 1980's but things have changed a lot in the last 20 years for student atheltes. I ran into a former player at the Dome today and he said the same thing. It appears that the players simply want the season to over so they can enjoy themselves (i.e. get away from Marrone and his rules) and the last thing they want are 18 more practices before a lousy bowl game.

Were all Marrone supporters and everyone wants him to be the guy. But his inexperience and "tough love" attitude are starting to show. I don't know what the hell got Philip Thomas suspended for a year, but unless he spit in Marrone's face it seems harsh. Hell, Dion told JB to f off and that only gave him a 1 game suspension. Kids will be kids ... they are not 45 year old men.

It's a tough enough recruiting battle as it is to get good athlete's on the hill and stuff like this only hurts in the long run. When you get a program to where you have position battles 3 deep at every position, then you start tightening the rope. But now, if you start suspending the good players or not playing guys it just hurts the whole team as much as that individual. That's why JB doesn't like to suspend guys. They are always going to be other times and ways to discipline a player where it won't affect the entire team with a loss of a bowl game/season.

Me too. I love college football but a 4 game losing streak has been hard to watch. I hope the boys can somehow find a way to beat Pitt.

You missed the good old days. Ben opened the 1973 season with an 8 game losing streak.

Maloney had both a 4 game and a 5 game losing streak in '74.

Mac had a 6 game losing streak in '82.

GRob had the grandaddy of 'em all ... 9 game losing streak in '05. 11 straight if you count the first 2 games of '06.

A 5 game streak is nothing. :)

the kids have quit giving A+ effort. Dispcipline works great when you're winning, when your not, kids quit. Its the risk of running a 'my way or the highway" kind of program. I smell a house cleaning coming.
Yeah. I was really worried right from the start with the my way/highway approach. I've tried using that before. It works if you're flawless. If you're not... well...

Doug has good O players and many of them. What he doesnt have is a clue on how to use them. Baily is a complete waste running between the tackles. West, Kobena, Flemming, all wasted because the system is too complicated. Dont even get me started about AM. A total waste. Smith as well. Doug just doesnt have it as an OC and never will. I do think he could grow into a decent head coach but he needs to hire a OC and get the heck out of the way. Maybe even coach from the booth so the kids dont have to see his lack of passion.

Huh?

So, now we have complete evals of players as frosh and sophs?

Bailey may not be utilized to his strengths, but he also may not be a full-time back. He got bigger and he lost his burst. Not sure how it is a waste to run him between the tackles. He ran between the tackles last year better then Carter at times with how he hit the hole.

Where is this Flemming love come from? Dude played one game and didn't show a thing. He came out of a route and never put his hands up. I have never understood where this love affair with Flemming comes from.

West is wasted? Guy is getting quality reps as a frosh.

AAM and Smith are wastes? Glad you know that now. Just an FYI, you forgot to throw Gulley in there. Sure it just slipped your mind.

Do I like Marrone's system? No. I would like to see more spread, just like everyone else here. But, I firmly believe that Syracuse could not block spread. Cuse can't block a 4-man rush out of the shotgun with a 3 step drop. Hay and Tiller can't pass block. Chibane has regressed. Pugh is the only quality pass blocker of the bunch. The OL will hopefully take a step forward next year.

If I hear one more thing about passion and/or sideline demeanor, I am going to puke. I forgot Syracuse basketball is good because of Boeheim's antics in the coaching box. Nothing to do with players. Same with G-Rob, who was emotional on the sidelines.

Demeanor on the sidelines is one of the most overrated things by fans. EVER.

My take on the system is that if it is truly complicated as fans say, then there is no way we have seen even half the system. We have seen spread principles. Who is to say it doesn't become a spread as he moves more of his players in? I would love to see a QB in. Miller was supposed to be that guy. His hitch issues and subsequent criminal issues has forced Marrone to stick with Nassib, IMO. Kinder, Hunt, Broyld are projects who will need at least a redshirt year.

I remember the days of Sack MAC, when he wasn't getting it done to the fans' satisfaction. I'm glad they didn't get their way...

There would be NO undefeated '87 season, NO Major Bowls, No epic battles with top programs like Miami, Michigan, or Ohio State, & NO McNabb !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom