This is the ceiling for the 2014-2015 team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is the ceiling for the 2014-2015 team

I try to be a little more respectful than saying a player sucks, but I don't think how we post should be based on whether or not players' parents are on the board. This is a board for people who want to discuss Syracuse basketball. The huge majority of us are not good enough to play D1 (I doubt I could make a D3 roster). This doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to critique players. Every player (with the possible exception of Christmas) is going to be criticized this year. I have respect for BJ and his Dad. But I think if he doesn't like seeing his son criticized, he probably shouldn't visit a message board about Syracuse basketball. I would probably feel the same way and certainly don't blame him for not liking the talk.

There is difference between critiquing and saying he sucks. The former is constructive and the latter is offensive. Just saying...

That wasn't the ceiling. UNC (not a particularly good shooting team) shot the lights out for 40 minutes, and Britt had a career shooting night. This SU team is certainly not built to win an uptempo shootout, yet they nearly did. The officials also pulled a 180 after halftime and started blowing their whistles every 10 seconds after allowing both teams to play freely in the first half, and that didn't lend itself to SU playing as aggressive defensively as JB might have liked.

I'm so sick of people constantly saying how some player had a career night against us. Is this just a coincidence every time? Bad luck? Incredibly irony?

At what point is it just a trend? Any possibility that we are the reason for this?

Said it before, I'll say it again- the zone (POTENTIALLY) allows more open looks for players. When it's struggling, the open looks increase significantly. Im no statistician, but I'd say odds of making shots increase with better looks at the hoop.

I also think part of our strategy has always been to limit the good looks other teams' best players get. This obviously allows more opportunity for others to get hot.

I'm so sick of people constantly saying how some player had a career night against us. Is this just a coincidence every time? Bad luck? Incredibly irony?

At what point is it just a trend? Any possibility that we are the reason for this?

Said it before, I'll say it again- the zone (POTENTIALLY) allows more open looks for players. When it's struggling, the open looks increase significantly. Im no statistician, but I'd say odds of making shots increase with better looks at the hoop.

I also think part of our strategy has always been to limit the good looks other teams' best players get. This obviously allows more opportunity for others to get hot.
If you look at what opponents shoot historically against SU's zone, most teams don't shoot the lights out from behind the arc or overall. As you stated, JB generally schemes to take away the biggest 3-point threats which occasionally results in someone unexpectedly having a career night against us; those games seem to stand out, particularly if the game ends with a loss.

Against UNC, Britt went off, SU was unable to contain Paige on the perimeter, they failed to shut down UNC's interior offense and they were out-rebounded. That type of defensive performance is an aberration recently, yet SU was able to stay in (or even control) the game until very late by virtue of some fine offensive performances of their own and because they were able to turn over UNC at a high rate.

Last edited:
There is difference between critiquing and saying he sucks. The former is constructive and the latter is offensive. Just saying...
Agreed - I think we should be constructive because it's civil, not because a player's dad visits the board.

If you look at what opponents shoot historically against SU's zone, most teams don't shoot the lights out from behind the arc or overall. As you stated, JB generally schemes to take away the biggest 3-point threats which occasionally results in someone unexpectedly having a career night against us; those games seem to stand out, particularly if the game ends with a loss.

Against UNC, Britt went off, SU was unable to contain Paige on the perimeter, they failed to shut down UNC's interior offense and they were out-rebounded. That type of defensive performance is an aberration recently, yet SU was able to stay in (or even control) the game until very late by virtue of some fine offensive performances of their own and because they were able to turn over UNC at a high rate.

I would like to say it is an aberration but you look at last year and it is clear that ACC foes play better team basketball than our foes in the old BE. The inside outside ball movement, solid screens and bball iq exposed us last year as well. There are going to be games where teams can't hit anything vs our zone as well but it will be tough to dominate any year with that defense in the ACC. The flip side is we are going to be forced to become much better on offense year in year out. I think next year's class highlights offensive talent which is a move in the right direction. It still can be a weapon and one we should be able to lean on in post-season play. Not sure how many more games vs ACC foes where the 3 pt shot bites us it is going to take for it to go from being about the opponents ability vs being about our own deficiencies.

too bad we recruited chino and bj who suck,,, need another body out there. oh well
You make me want to punt my lap top, it's a nice laptop.

It's people like you that remind me of how limited oxygen is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom