This is the World That We Live In | Syracusefan.com

This is the World That We Live In

moqui

generational talent
  • Brendan Eich, founder and ex CEO of Mozilla, forced out of the company that he founded because he supported a political cause that some found offensive,
  • Donald Sterling, forcibly divested of his property for saying something patently offensive
who shall be the next target of the Great Tolerance Campaign of 2014? Nominations, please.

• Brendan Eich, founder and ex CEO of Mozilla, forced out of the company that he founded because he supported a political cause that some found offensive,
  • Donald Sterling, forcibly divested of his property for saying something patently offensive
who shall be the next target of the Great Tolerance Campaign of 2014? Nominations, please.

The lesson is that people don't want to work with a$$holes.

The lesson is that people don't want to work with a$$holes.
52% of Californians supported Prop 8, and over 70% of African Americans. So now you are calling 70% of Californian African Americans a$$holes? I demand you be punished for you utter lack of tolerance.

Normally I would agree with you. But these are two bad example to support your point. Being an NBA owner is a private club. You essentially waive your right to free speech when you join.

Same thing goes for the CEO. He is running a private company (not even publicly traded). So what he says is not protected within the walls of the company.

Normally I would agree with you. But these are two bad example to support your point. Being an NBA owner is a private club. You essentially waive your right to free speech when you join.

Same thing goes for the CEO. He is running a private company (not even publicly traded). So what he says is not protected within the walls of the company.

Exactly.

Yeah, I'm a little unsettled about how this pendulum is swinging.

I have a HUGE problem with what Mozilla did. This was a political contribution, and it is squelching political speech (even though it is a private action, it should be illegal.)
I have NO problem with what the NBA did. (By the way, the chick should be prosecuted for making the tape). This is a private group that is kicking out an a*!hole. He will now make about $1 Billion.

As long a neither one involves governmental repercussions, both actions are fully lawful.
is running a private company (not even publicly traded). So what he says is not protected within the walls of the company.

I'm saying that homophobes and racists of all backgrounds are a$$holes.
and I'm saying that I am sure someone could find reason to go after you if they looked hard enough

we all live in glass houses and the world is full of rocks, so we should be careful about the precedents we set

I don't like Sterling and I've made that perfectly clear in other posts, but the glee that some are finding in taking down "a$$holes" is going to bite them someday, I'm sure

and I'm saying that I am sure someone could find reason to go after you if they looked hard enough

we all live in glass houses and the world is full of rocks, so we should be careful about the precedents we set

So nobody should be held accountable when they embarrass the company for which they work?

So nobody should be held accountable when they embarrass the company for which they work?
that is not even remotely what I said, but its apparent that its all you are prepared to argue against.

As much as I agree with Silver and the NBA's stance on the ban, like Cuban said, it's a slippery slope. The Mozilla case was about something he did before ever becoming CEO and Sterling was recorded illegally (don't try to say he knew, just stop).

If i'm a rich dude with enemies i'll hire a bunch of hewa's, lace them up with a recording device and tell them to do their thing. Eventually, you'll have some ammo to destroy your adversary.

As much as I agree with Silver and the NBA's stance on the ban, like Cuban said, it's a slippery slope. The Mozilla case was about something he did before ever becoming CEO and Sterling was recorded illegally (don't try to say he knew, just stop).

If i'm a rich dude with enemies i'll hire a bunch of hewa's, lace them up with a recording device and tell them to do their thing. Eventually, you'll have some ammo to destroy your adversary.
What's a hewa?

If that was me on the tape, my boss would fire me.
Well, that sucks. With google glasses and people allowing what you say in private to be grounds for dismissal you can expect alot of people getting fired as technology advances.

If that was me on the tape, my boss would fire me.

Adam Silver isn't his boss.

Someone posted here, you could tape any lockerroom conversation in pro sports across America (or frankly owners box) and by the next day some group will be picketing the gates of the stadium. People say not nice things.

I'd rather have a corporate boycott or something like that, let the market judge.

Or you could, ya know, not be a racist. I know it's difficult.

Just sayin...
People also joke around. Do you think Daniel Tosh is a racist? If you recorded him for 30 seconds and played it to a bunch of people who don't know who he is, they would want his head on a stake.

Obviously, this isnt what happened here, but you can easily destroy someone's life if we're letting illegal recordings be the barometer of racism/homophobia etc.

People also joke around. Do you think Daniel Tosh is a racist? If you recorded him for 30 seconds and played it to a bunch of people who don't know who he is, they would want his head on a stake.

Obviously, this isnt what happened here, but you can easily destroy someone's life if we're letting illegal recordings be the barometer of racism/homophobia etc.
Or the barometer could be someone's words or actions.

Adam Silver isn't his boss.

Someone posted here, you could tape any lockerroom conversation in pro sports across America (or frankly owners box) and by the next day some group will be picketing the gates of the stadium. People say not nice things.

I'd rather have a corporate boycott or something like that, let the market judge.

Adam Silver isn't firing him either. Also this is more of a final knell in the coffin as he has a history of racially motivated actions.

Last edited:
It's more than this one incident with Sterling. He was fined millions of dollars a few years ago for discriminating against African Americans, Hispanics and families with kids at scores of apartment buildings he owns in and around Los Angeles.