This is the World That We Live In | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is the World That We Live In

Bayside44 said:
Adam Silver isn't his boss.

But the NBA and it's by laws are.

Keep in mind, this isn't a "one-off" incident though. So the history of this man and his racist remarks played a part in this being a life-time ban versus let's say a two year suspension.

Cheers,
Neil

Yeah, I'm a little unsettled about how this pendulum is swinging.
You have the media pushing it and the government enforcing it.
Have at it guys, if you want to get rid of all the turds in influential spots, you're going to be quite busy.

Keep in mind, this isn't a "one-off" incident though. So the history of this man and his racist remarks played a part in this being a life-time ban versus let's say a two year suspension.

Cheers,
Neil

Agree a drunk riley cooper who has many african american friends blurts out the n word - one time gets suspended and is reinstated. If it happens again under any circumstances, such as a vindictive girlfriend, he will be gone - quickly

Sometimes people try to hard to tie themselves into knots over slippery slopes, states of the world today, hells in handbaskets, and all that.

Thoroughly embarrassing a private business, causing financial damage to said private business, and being removed from said private business, is a tale as old as time.

Sometimes a racist jerk is just a racist jerk.

It's more than this one incident with Sterling. He was fined millions of dollars a few years ago for discriminating against African Americans, Hispanics and families with kids at scores of apartment buildings he owns in and around Los Angeles.
But here is the rub, the NBA did NOTHING about those REAL incidents of discrimination and throws the book at him for a "thought" surreptitiously taped. The law doesn't allow for Make-up calls. Cuban is right this is a slippery slope on many levels , not least of all constitutionally.

Not trying to bea d ick but do you work with any african americans? yes or no

If yes are you willing to record yourself saying

Adam Silver isn't firing him either. Also this is more of a final knell in the coffin as he has a history of racially motivated actions.

I do.

He got TMZ-ed. Sterling was a well known horrible human being for forever.

I do.

He got TMZ-ed. Sterling was a well known horrible human being for forever.[/quote]

Bayside - the first part of my reponse was the start of another thread - apologies. He did get TMZ'd and stuff like that happens when you are a do uchebag

LennX6 said:
But here is the rub, the NBA did NOTHING about those REAL incidents of discrimination and throws the book at him for a "thought" surreptitiously taped. The law doesn't allow for Make-up calls. Cuban is right this is a slippery slope on many levels , not least of all constitutionally.

Law? Constitutionality?

Please don't tell us you think his 1st amendment rights have been violated.

Please.

Frozen, since embarrassment is your standard, then shouldn't the man who said that Barack Obama was "first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy" be bounced as well? Patently offensive and obviously embarrassing.
Or you could, ya know, not be a racist. I know it's difficult.

Just sayin...
how certain are you that you have never said anything that could be construed as racist by someone with an axe to grind?

My understanding is that the CEO of Mozilla was forced to resign. The tech industry was competitive and if Mozilla was going to lose talented programmers to its competitors then presumably his continued presence was bad for business. Board members resigned or threatened to resign. Mozilla obviously didn't think his hiring though.

Eastside Catholic High School in Seattle recently forced a gay man who married his husband to resign his vice principal position. One Million Moms had a years long boycott of JC Penney because it dared to have Ellen Degeneres as its spokesperson. And many states have no protections at all for gays and lesbians with respect to employment. It cuts both ways.

Law? Constitutionality?

Please don't tell us you think his 1st amendment rights have been violated.

Please.
Nope not at all. Equal protection under the law.

Frozen, since embarrassment is your standard, then shouldn't the man who said that Barack Obama was "first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy" be bounced as well? Patently offensive and obviously embarrassing.

how certain are you that you have never said anything that could be construed as racist by someone with an axe to grind?

moqui who said that? (your first part)

I do.

He got TMZ-ed. Sterling was a well known horrible human being for forever.

Bayside - the first part of my reponse was the start of another thread - apologies. He did get TMZ'd and stuff like that happens when you are a do uchebag[/quote]

He's a bad guy, and if the NBA used this as their means to rid themselves of Sterling so be it.

My problem is the slippery slope stuff.

LennX6 said:

Protection from what exactly?

Adam Silver isn't his boss.

Someone posted here, you could tape any lockerroom conversation in pro sports across America (or frankly owners box) and by the next day some group will be picketing the gates of the stadium. People say not nice things.

I'd rather have a corporate boycott or something like that, let the market judge.
Silver had the foresight to see what the market was going to do and got out in front of it. That was one out of many reasons

LennX6 said:

How does equal protection and the 14th amendment apply?

Cheers,
Neil
but that just underlines the colossal hypocrisy at the heart of this matter - Sterling was a practicing bigot, doing things that impacted real people in real ways, for years. Everyone knew it, and the NBA lived with it. Doc Rivers was made aware of it, and he signed up anyway.

The NBA and its myriad members of all creeds and colors were comfortable having him in their midst last week.

The words that he was recorded uttering were offensive, of course, but they had a tiny fraction of the real world impact that his deeds have had for years.

Sometimes people try to hard to tie themselves into knots over slippery slopes, states of the world today, hells in handbaskets, and all that.

Thoroughly embarrassing a private business, causing financial damage to said private business, and being removed from said private business, is a tale as old as time.

Sometimes a racist jerk is just a racist jerk.

I am in no way defending Sterling, just stating that I am concerned with what looks like a nascent New Puritanism in our culture

but that just underlines the colossal hypocrisy at the heart of this matter - Sterling was a practicing bigot, doing things that impacted real people in real ways, for years. Everyone knew it, and the NBA lived with it. Doc Rivers was made aware of it, and he signed up anyway.

The NBA and its myriad members of all creeds and colors were comfortable having him in their midst last week.

The words that he was recorded uttering were offensive, of course, but they had a tiny fraction of the real world impact that his deeds have had for years.

I am in no way defending Sterling, just stating that I am concerned with what looks like a nascent New Puritanism in our culture

"The words that he was recorded uttering were offensive, of course, but they had a tiny fraction of the real world impact that his deeds have had for years. " True and not true. Not true in the sense of how the League/Owners felt they were impacted.

• Brendan Eich, founder and ex CEO of Mozilla, forced out of the company that he founded because he supported a political cause that some found offensive,
  • Donald Sterling, forcibly divested of his property for saying something patently offensive
who shall be the next target of the Great Tolerance Campaign of 2014? Nominations, please.

+1 I agree its bullcrap. Freedom of speech (censored of course). It doesn't mean everyone is fair, or puts themselves in others shoes, but its always been this way. If its a crime punish it, if not carry on. Whats the old saying sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me.

Senate voted on the same thing just the other day in reguards to minorities and college. People were arguing that minorities should be accepted with lower grades over people with straight A's just because they are a minority. Downright laughable, and Pathetic.

imo, The best way to deal with opposites is to get them to work together, and stop feeding to the fire.

This entire thread makes me sad.

Wow.

"He's been allowed to get away with this crap for years so why shouldn't he be able to get away with it now" is the impression being given by some.

He's a scumbag, and just because he has only just now been called out and punished for it doesn't make it any less just.

Don't give me the freedom of speech crap either.

+1 I agree its bullcrap. Freedom of speech (censored of course). It doesn't mean everyone is fair, or puts themselves in others shoes, but its always been this way. If its a crime punish it, if not carry on. Whats the old saying sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me.
Why don't people get the fact that this is NOT a freedom of speech issue? :bang:

Say what you want. But be prepared to face the consequences.