This is the World That We Live In | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This is the World That We Live In

"He's been allowed to get away with this crap for years so why shouldn't he be able to get away with it now" is the impression being given by some.
well then your reading comprehension sucks

it's not about the particular case - I have no like for Sterling and I've made that clear in this and other threads.

its the general direction of the culture that I am talking about.

and I haven't said a word about freedom of speech

A crime is a action not a word. While we are at it why don't we wipe all religion and politics out of media for leaning one way or the other.

People are so sensitive. Look at it this way if someone is mocking a different group then they obviously aren't that good of a person so you can be better then them.

Why don't people get the fact that this is NOT a freedom of speech issue? :bang:
Along those lines, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean it's ok to actually do it. I can go in my back yard in full view of my neighbors but I still use my bathroom instead.

it's not about the particular case - I have no like for Sterling and I've made that clear in this and other threads.

I think he said 'some', not Moqui.

Yes because you're the only person talking in this thread so I was clearly talking to you.

Whose reading comprehension sucks, again?

Along those lines, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean it's ok to actually do it. I can go in my back yard in full view of my neighbors but I still use my bathroom instead.
Yeah, but there's something so great about peeing outside.

At least if you're a guy.

Whatever point you're trying to make, it isn't landing.

You quoted a specific line I wrote and assumed it applied to you. I said it didn't. Them you quoted a DIFFERENT line to use as support.

Strange methods.

Last I knew I'm allowed to be disappointed in various people for various reasons without one comment serving as an umbrella for all of them. Or does freedom of speech and expression not extend to me, freedom fighter?

Also...you're saying you = the entire thread? Spectacular ego.

I don't think his comments based on your article are inflammatory, or intentionally racial. That being said, his boss (the target of the comment) had the opportunity to remove him and the public got a chance to vote on his job placement after the comment. Even Jesse Jackson didn't think it was racially motivated.

Professional sports leagues are filled with all kinds of bad people. The wrap sheet for the NFL alone is an atrocity . Boycott all pro sports. Stop facilitating abusers , racists and felons.

orangefan13 said:
A crime is a action not a word.

This isn't necessarily true at all. And I haven't seen anyone say that Sterling committed a crime. The only crime was his girlfriend recording the conversation.

I was once quoted in a New York Times article in a very unflattering way that probably embarrassed my employer at the time. Fortunately our clients loved it and I got a lot of positive feedback, but that entire day I assumed I would be fired. I committed no crime but there were consequences to my speech that I had to live with. That is life. It isn't fair and in this world where everything is recorded you better be on good behavior or expect repercussions.

It's funny that many of the same people who decry the degradation of our culture and values and complain about the increasing crassness of society are often the same ones who complain that they can no longer be racist or express other anti-gay or bigoted beliefs without facing consequences.

moqui said:
but that just underlines the colossal hypocrisy at the heart of this matter - Sterling was a practicing bigot, doing things that impacted real people in real ways, for years. Everyone knew it, and the NBA lived with it. Doc Rivers was made aware of it, and he signed up anyway. The NBA and its myriad members of all creeds and colors were comfortable having him in their midst last week. The words that he was recorded uttering were offensive, of course, but they had a tiny fraction of the real world impact that his deeds have had for years. I am in no way defending Sterling, just stating that I am concerned with what looks like a nascent New Puritanism in our culture

It's a disgrace that Sterling's actions were ignored. The NBA and the media should be ashamed.

But getting away with something shouldn't give someone a lifetime pass to escape consequences from subsequent misdeeds in the future.

And as for "new Puritanism"... American culture is a constant, never-ending work in progress. We will tilt various ways as we go along. I'm OK if we're at a phase where explicit, hateful, ignorant, bigoted, discriminatory words are cause for a private business to sanction someone in said business. Makes up for the past 225 years or so.

I don't think his comments based on your article are inflammatory, or intentionally racial. That being said, his boss (the target of the comment) had the opportunity to remove him and the public got a chance to vote on his job placement after the comment. Even Jesse Jackson didn't think it was racially motivated.
Jesse Jackson also thinks Martin Luther King died in his arms. ;)

Whatever point you're trying to make, it isn't landing.

You quoted a specific line I wrote and assumed it applied to you. I said it didn't. Them you quoted a DIFFERENT line to use as support.

Strange methods.

Last I knew I'm allowed to be disappointed in various people for various reasons without one comment serving as an umbrella for all of them. Or does freedom of speech and expression not extend to me, freedom fighter?
once again, I have never mentioned freedom of speech - or freedom at all - it's that reading comprehension thing again.

if you were not commenting to me, then you could have just apologized. You have not, so I think it is safe to assume that you are just backtracking.

once again, I have never mentioned freedom of speech - or freedom at all - it's that reading comprehension thing again.

if you were not commenting to me, then you could have just apologized. You have not, so I think it is safe to assume that you are just backtracking.
Why would I apologize to you, exactly?

The fact you think I owe you an apology is just laughable. What an entitled, egotistical douche you're being.

It's a disgrace that Sterling's actions were ignored. The NBA and the media should be ashamed.

But getting away with something shouldn't give someone a lifetime pass to escape consequences from subsequent misdeeds in the future.

And as for "new Puritanism"... American culture is a constant, never-ending work in progress. We will tilt various ways as we go along. I'm OK if we're at a phase where explicit, hateful, ignorant, bigoted, discriminatory words are cause for a private business to sanction someone in said business. Makes up for the past 225 years or so.
what was explicit and hateful about Brendan Eich? you might disagree with him, but its just a disagreement, and it is not making up for 225 years. it's just getting a pound of flesh.

Professional sports leagues are filled with all kinds of bad people. The wrap sheet for the NFL alone is an atrocity . Boycott all pro sports. Stop facilitating abusers , racists and felons.

You are not wrong. But they (players) are governed by a collectively bargained agreement...much like a set of bylaws collectively written and abided to by the owners as part of the ownership agreement. Rules are rules. Policies have no feelings.

Not sure I see any backtracking. And the fact that several posters have mentioned freedom of speech in this thread and others, makes it fair game in making a point.

The NBA is a business institution. Its previous leadership allowed for Sterling to stay in the league without taking action against documented racism. It comes along again and he gets the boot. Hindsight adds to the story but it does not make Silver's decision wrong.

Ultimately he has the right to do what is in the best interest of the league. In this case that is what he is doing. What Sterling said and has done in the past is beyond awful. Moral objections aside, this is as much a business decision as anything. If he doesn't ban him and simply move on then this drags out with some serious questions for the entire Clippers organization who would be at the mercy of one individual changing the game due to his views.

You have to widen the horizon a bit and see how difficult things would be if he wasn't banned. It was a damn good decision and a smart one. Now if he goes and does it for something truly petty and therefore begins abusing his power then that is another matter. So far Silver is doing a good job. He already has rid the league of someone long needing a kick in the ass.

By the way - for those crying freedom of speech (oh and that's not Moqui, just so he doesn't get too upset), the NBA is a private business. They can fire people for saying things that don't toe the company line. That's their right. If I said " all of these foreigners!" at my current job it would be within my right as an American citizen, but it wouldn't protect me from my employers deciding to part ways with me.

Why would I apologize to you, exactly?

The fact you think I owe you an apology is just laughable. What an entitled, egotistical douche you're being.
let me walk you through this:

you ripped the "entire thread"

I took offense at your characterization

you then implied that you weren't talking to me, but you didn't come right out and say it

the thread further degenerated after that.

you could have simply replied "sorry, moqui, I wasn't implying these terrible things about you"

probably because really you were, but you don't have the sack to step up and own it

but I'm not going to waste any more thread time on this sub-issue. it's petty and personal, we should take it to PM