This is why Netflix sucks: | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is why Netflix sucks:

The one class i remember from college was film study where we got to see a bunch of classics on a big screen back in a time very few of these ever made it to TV. There were all being preserved by Eastman Museum at the time i think
Every time i look for a revival house, there's nothing playing, or the one thing i want to see is like 8 months in the future, and by the time the limited run dates come, i've forgotten.

regal has done a decent job of bring back some classics every month but i wish they would go back a bit further than just 20-25 yrs.

my first time ever seeing Casablanca was in a theatre about 25 yrs ago and that was pretty cool to see on the big screen.. would love to see some old westerns on those big screens

Ginger Rogers is awesome. Also, Irene Dunne. Funny, both of them.

I forgot to mention My Favorite Wife, with Grant and Dunne. Good stuff.
If you like Sophia Loren, Houseboat is cute. Father Goose is okay. Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House is cute. Arsenic and Old Lace... Suspicion...
Yes! Love Irene Dunne too. It's awesome to know that I'm not the only old movie geek milling around these forums. I had the best day yesterday watching some classics after spending a dozen hours at the football game Saturday.

TCM have what they call "family classics" available because of the holidays. I was able to watch You Can't Take it With You with Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur. It's a Frank Capra film that I had not seen and as you can imagine it's quite a screwball comedy. I wouldn't say it's my favorite Capra film but it's still good.

I used to have Cary Grant's picture pasted over my SU ID. He's my spirit animal.
Favorite CG films: Bringing Up Baby, Charade, To Catch a Thief, and The Philadelphia Story.

Gotta sneak North by Northwest in there someplace!

TCM has a small cache of movies on demand. today i watched A FACE IN THE CROWD.
i'd heard a lot about this elia kazan film following trumps election but had never seen it before.
andy griffith , patricia neal and walter matthau. explores the dangers of populism and politics.

there will come a time when the catalogs will be spread so thin all the places will suffer as no one is going to buy them to watch a few shows.

Yes! Love Irene Dunne too. It's awesome to know that I'm not the only old movie geek milling around these forums. I had the best day yesterday watching some classics after spending a dozen hours at the football game Saturday.

TCM have what they call "family classics" available because of the holidays. I was able to watch You Can't Take it With You with Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur. It's a Frank Capra film that I had not seen and as you can imagine it's quite a screwball comedy. I wouldn't say it's my favorite Capra film but it's still good.
I have never seen It's a Wonderful Life. Not even five minutes of it.

I'll tell you—one of the most depressing moments i've had was when i was in my thirties and i realized, "they're not making any more old movies." Which was to say that i had seen just about everything that was available, and the stuff i loved i'd seen multiple times, and it was just a 'derp' recognition that there weren't going to be any new classic film experiences for me. I started going into old stuff that specifically didn't appeal to me, hoping to be turned on to something, but it seems i know who/what i like.

I have never seen It's a Wonderful Life. Not even five minutes of it.
That's a shame because it really is a great movie. And not the extended version either, you have to watch the director's cut. I don’t believe it was originally released as a Christmas movie either, the TV networks ruined the experience by showing it year after year like they did with The Wizard of Oz.

If you can catch it on TCM you should watch it, I swear you won't be disappointed. I named one of my dogs after the angel Clarence from that movie.

SNL did a skit years ago with an alternative "lost " ending out take to It's a Wonderful Life where uncle billy (phil hartman) suddenly remembers potter stole the money and they storm the office and stomp him. hilarious.
this precious footage narrated by bill shatner :