This offense | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This offense

I keep seeing that Benny has “Elite” athletic ability & attributes… if you can’t/don’t utilize that in game, what’s the point?

Remember when Jeremi Grant played? Dude was gangly & at times just looked uncoordinated, but I could pull up 5-6 ridiculous, top 10 worthy athletic dunks & put-backs, in traffic on people’s heads stuff. Benny has never, in a year+ of play, even come CLOSE to an eye opening athleticism offensive play.

He’s the 4th scoring option on offense due to his own limitations, he’s a decent athlete, decent rebounder & decent defender. I haven’t seen anything that points to this alleged “elite” athleticism being opined about.

P.S. If I see another post with the line “just get him easy baskets” my head might explode. If any player in basketball can just get easy buckets on command, then coaches are going to run their whole offense through it… it’s not a thing.
Spot on. I played high-end (hockey East) D1 hockey and we had numerous draft pics (NHL draft is for 18 year olds) prior to them arriving at school, yet when we got to school there were plenty of undrafted players/walk-ons that were head and shoulders better than the “drafted” kids. A lot of them were drafted because they were the tallest players on their prep school or junior hockey rosters. I have a feeling that is what happened with Benny….his athleticism in high school allowed him to look and shine brighter than some others, but when you arrive at a P5 school you better be ready basketball wise or you will be left behind. He still travels with the ball multiple times a game. Again, he seems like a super amazing kid, but we need to stop this notion that we need him more than anyone else or our season is doomed.

Our offense can be pretty good. It’s clearly obvious that Mintz and Edwards are our best players. The offense needs to run through those two. The biggest problem right now is Girard, he’s just looking to get his points out there. He needs to be used like a Cooney and Rautins. He’s not a player maker, not even close to the level of Mintz. Run the offense through Edwards and Mintz. Run Joe off screens, have some set plays for him where he can get a 3 but you simply can’t run the offense through him when he was a lot more efficient players in Edwards and Mintz. Those 3 can be enough to carry the offense if they are used right and just have the rest of the players to do the dirty work and hit the boards hard.

I’ve been saying for awhile, Brown is underrated. Develop this kid and give him all the run before ACC player and he’ll be a solid, consistent 4th player you can depend on. He’s solid and consistent, he won’t hurt the team if you play him 25+ a game. It’ll only help the team down the road.

Like Brown a lot, he is definitely the potential breakout player in this class. Physically he looks like he's been in the program a few years already. Offensively he clearly has a way to go but very encouraged from what I have seen so far in 2 games. He needs to play extended minutes for sure.

when BB shot you had a feeling it was going in and watching Joe this yr vs last few it ‘feels’ better
joe shot .403 deep last season. buddy just .341

We need to stop referring to Bell as a good shooter. The staff clearly thinks he is but he has yet to show us. I would expect the percentages to rise but right now he's completely useless in all regards.

Brown has obviously been the best of all the forwards. With how bad the rest are we should consider starting him next to Jesse.

I still believe in Copeland. His passing has yet to manifest in these regular season games and his scoring abilities are nebulous at best but I like his defense.

joe shot .403 deep last season. buddy just .341

I'm good with Joe shooting the 3 ball - but I'm gonna break my TV if he dribbles that ball at all - the ball should never be in his hands for more that a second or two - shoot it or move it - and I'm gonna have words with Judah if he ever passes to Joe as Joe is cutting to the rim again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom