This passing attack will become a virtuous cycle | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This passing attack will become a virtuous cycle

Where is Pena going? I love the kid but I don't see the pros lining up for him. Same with Allen. I think he can make a NFL team. But he is right on the line.
They both can Xfer. Can’t ever trust kids will stay. If they don’t think the next QB is sexy on paper, then what?

I know a lot of fans want to see us run the ball better (wouldn't hurt) and personally I think we have a few too many east/west routes in the tree that defenses are figuring out, but this is the passing attack I've always dreamed of for the Dome.

Nixon and McCord are proving right before our eyes that it's possible. That's what we needed, the proof of concept.

I'm almost certain our starting QB next season will come from the portal (cough Angeli cough). McCord was sold on the relationships he had. QB1 next season will be sold on McCord's success. Same with the WR position. Jackson Meeks is a stellar case study in getting the right chance to show what he can do. He's on pace to catch 60 some passes after a career at Georgia where he caught all of 10 over 3 years. Portal WRs with talent that aren't in the right situation are going to notice that.

Sustain it this season, get the right talent next season, and then make it the norm next season.
In this game i didnt see anything truly verticle. A few shots would be good for me.

In this game i didnt see anything truly verticle. A few shots would be good for me.
I was surprised we didn't try anything with Hatcher. I think it would have been there the way they were playing him.

I really want someone to do a look into how much influence McCord has on the playcalls. How many things he’s checking out of / audibling on. I’m not saying it’s good or bad, but if Nixon is calling 50+ pass plays, that’s certainly something. Especially with Zeed not in the game to take the top off the D.

We’re about to play teams that defend the pass better / some that can get to the quarterback.

No OL wants to have a 2:1 pass to run ratio.

I do think with the emergence of Willis, we will be able to run a bit more since LQA is going to continue to have to be a pass catching option.

I’m fine being unbalanced on O. But there is a limit to it. Especially with no speed to keep the D on its heels. Also, McCord throws 50+ times a game, that means he’s going to take a lot more hits than normal. And if we lose him, we’re toast.
I don't know if it's play calls or audibles, but I think we're just not consistent enough doing it, so we're having to rely on the pass more than we want to. We need to be able to run better. I hope the line starts getting more push but I'm not counting on it.

I don't know the true numbers but it seems we've been more pass happy overall and in neutral situations than I executed.

I don't know if it's sustainable in the long run, and we got a taste of the issues in the Stanford game. But it's clear McCord is the engine of the offense.

The only question that needs to be answered about our offense is our success due to coaching and scheme and how much of it is having McCord a pro-QB running it.

If it is mostly McCord it will be very interesting to see who we can bring in the portal to match or come close to what McCord has done.

I think he might. 2020 was the Covid freebie year, right?

2021 freshman year, 2022 sophomore year.

Last season (2023) would be a medical redshirt.

This season (2024) is his redshirt junior year.

Next season redshirt senior year.

Does that work?
As of now 2023 is just a typical redshirt year, albeit necessitated by injury.

Really? You can't live your life that way. Everyone could transfer and we may not have a team next year.

My point was every year is a new year. The HC needs to recruit everyone to come back. It is the sad state of affairs right now. Our BBall program has lost a key player each of the last two seasons. Without a QB with a decent track record, it will be harder to keep our good O players.

My point was every year is a new year. The HC needs to recruit everyone to come back. It is the sad state of affairs right now. Our BBall program has lost a key player each of the last two seasons. Without a QB with a decent track record, it will be harder to keep our good O players.
Eggzactly it’s why I’ve been telling all the “casuals”/friends n family to enjoy this Lightning bottle year where all the planets are aligning for us to be good.

Going to be difficult to sustain success, going forward, giving all the usual challenges this program faces. That said I’m more optimistic that the bottom won’t fall out to the bottom now that I’ve seen Fran in action.

But it’s gonna be hard to be Uber successful. Once again hope I’m wrong.

Our drive bIocking seems non-existent. The pass bIocking is better. Short passes is our running game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom