This team lacks a Bad A | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This team lacks a Bad A

Frank was the vocal leader last year. Battle second. Those two need to grab this team by the throat and light a fire under everyones arse.
Frank is still the vocal leader. When Sid drew his technical and they were back by the bench, it was obviouse that Frank was telling him to get his sht together.

Nobody would have beat that team last night in their place with the bounces and calls they were getting along with playing extremely well.

There is a lot of BS in this thread the last thing we need is a diva playing like the VT guys gesticulating and exaggerating all contact and then chest thumping whenever they score.

As good of a leader as frank is... his inability to get past his man is really hurting our offense. Yes other players are struggling to that but you need your lead guard to be able to get some penetration.

That is easier said than done when the defense is set and the defenders are ACC level players pretty much noone can dribble past guys at will in this league. Tyus and Oshae can't do it either when they have the ball on the perimiter and the defender is in position daring them to shoot.

I’ve never understood this argument and people only make it when we lose. I’ve heard the same argument about former players we have had as well when we were winning 30 games a season. It makes no sense. Sometimes you just lose.

As someone that has had the extreme fortune to sit court side a few times this year, that’s not correct. Howard is the only one that talks on the court. Not as a screamer but he’s always moving guys around and calling for screens even for others and pointing for someone to do something. He also is the only one that talks during a huddle even on the side court during a time out. He’s the one that encourages guys when they’ve done something wrong. He doesn’t however get in peoples faces. He’s not loud and demonstrative but be sure he talks especially when he has the ball up top.

Thanks for that observation but I've still got to ask: Why do we have long stretches where we can't seem to get into any discernible offensive scheme?

Its not about grabbing your dick and chest thumping. Its about getting your teammates to play with focus and intensity. Its about willing them to give 110% and play balls to the wall for a full game.

Well I thought we played hard even when we were down 20.

This thread is stupid we ran into a buzz saw who got tons of breaks and insane help from the refs. When we started to play well the refs decided they needed to call a foul every possession to let VT recover. It was unwatchable. We found out they actually have fans that crowd seriously helped them out. That was probably the best VT will play all season.

That game sucked but its just one loss there is no reason to start questioning the team right now.

Thanks for that observation but I've still got to ask: Why do we have long stretches where we can't seem to get into any discernible offensive scheme?

Good question. If I knew I’d be sitting next to Jimmy. ;)

We have 2 players with killer instinct. We just played a top 10 teams who’s undefeated at home. We had an off game when and where we could not afford it. We get back on track at BC or we’re starting to fight on the bubble again.

Good question. If I knew I’d be sitting next to Jimmy. ;)
Because we don’t have a point guard. I never see Howard trying to get his teammates into position to score. He dribbles until he can find his own shot.

should be tyus . i watched one sequence where tyus came down the court his hand raised asking for the ball. instead we turned it over and battle kicked his foot and cussed to himself but got in nobody's face.

Because we don’t have a point guard. I never see Howard trying to get his teammates into position to score. He dribbles until he can find his own shot.

Lol

VT has a very good coach and very good players. They were on fire last on both ends of the floor. In instances like this I prefer to tip my hat to a great performance and move on. We have been playing well and there is no reason to question the teams heart or whatever else after this game. If we lay an egg at BC then I’ll start to worry but right now I still feel good about the teams growth over the past month.

That is easier said than done when the defense is set and the defenders are ACC level players pretty much noone can dribble past guys at will in this league. Tyus and Oshae can't do it either when they have the ball on the perimiter and the defender is in position daring them to shoot.
You’re kidding right? The Hokies guards had no problem getting past our guys last night and he’s not the only one. We have given up a fair bit of penetration this year. I’ve watched a decent bit of college hoops and I’ve seen most teams able to get some penetration... we have had such bad point play for so long I think people forget what an actual point guard looks like and can do. Carey has some potential to become a real point guard but he just doesn’t know what to do with the ball at this point because his primary instinct is to score and he plays like he’s been told if he shoots he is going to get yanked.

As someone that has had the extreme fortune to sit court side a few times this year, that’s not correct. Howard is the only one that talks on the court. Not as a screamer but he’s always moving guys around and calling for screens even for others and pointing for someone to do something. He also is the only one that talks during a huddle even on the side court during a time out. He’s the one that encourages guys when they’ve done something wrong. He doesn’t however get in peoples faces. He’s not loud and demonstrative but be sure he talks especially when he has the ball up top.

Kinda like in my avatar. I really enjoy players who lift up those around them. He seems to bring a balance to what JB has after some of those plays.

Yeah, we win a lot but we lose sometimes, too. :mad:
It's the way we lose a lot of the times
Yeah, we win a lot but we lose sometimes, too. :mad:
it's not that they lose it's the way they lose and Coach never seems to make different adjustments besides just adjusting what he does in his zone, he'll never go to man-to-man because that's where the stubbornness comes in cuz he always feels that his defense is better than anything else which in some cases that's true but some teams eat that zone alive and that's my point. I mean you can't tell me that all these teams and all these athletes that we've had here could not add up to be a better man team than Zone in any of those times. it pretty much just comes down to either he doesn't want to do it or he just is not as good as teaching man as his Zone

I guess the jury is still out on this team I think we have talent I think we just look bad sometimes because some teams just tear this Zone to pieces but that's what we get cuz he'll will never stop using the Zone! never.
also another thing I'm kind of worried about now that Hopkins is gone we just have not been Landing the same talent that we got just a couple years ago

it's not that they lose it's the way they lose and Coach never seems to make different adjustments besides just adjusting what he does in his zone, he'll never go to man-to-man because that's where the stubbornness comes in cuz he always feels that his defense is better than anything else which in some cases that's true but some teams eat that zone alive and that's my point. I mean you can't tell me that all these teams and all these athletes that we've had here could not add up to be a better man team than Zone in any of those times. it pretty much just comes down to either he doesn't want to do it or he just is not as good as teaching man as his Zone

He's taught man for man before. it's just that he had three #1 ranked teams in the five years after he switched to all zone. Our problems have been on offense much more than on defense in the years since.

You’re kidding right? The Hokies guards had no problem getting past our guys last night and he’s not the only one. We have given up a fair bit of penetration this year. I’ve watched a decent bit of college hoops and I’ve seen most teams able to get some penetration... we have had such bad point play for so long I think people forget what an actual point guard looks like and can do. Carey has some potential to become a real point guard but he just doesn’t know what to do with the ball at this point because his primary instinct is to score and he plays like he’s been told if he shoots he is going to get yanked.
My feelings, too. I keep screaming at the screen when Franklin brings the ball up and defaults to stopping just at/before top of the 3-pt arc. Then, when Carey came in, i think literally the first thing he did was penetrate all the way to the endline. He didn't convert a play, but it was the perfect illustration of contrast. I had been beginning to think it is part of our 'scheme,' for Franklin to not advance past that 3 line, because JB wants the offense to work slowly against the shot clock, to minimize possessions. That's the only rationale i can imagine, as it seems to make life difficult for everyone when we don't even bother to try to get defenders out of position, until it's iso or desperation time.

My feelings, too. I keep screaming at the screen when Franklin brings the ball up and defaults to stopping just at/before top of the 3-pt arc. Then, when Carey came in, i think literally the first thing he did was penetrate all the way to the endline. He didn't convert a play, but it was the perfect illustration of contrast. I had been beginning to think it is part of our 'scheme,' for Franklin to not advance past that 3 line, because JB wants the offense to work slowly against the shot clock, to minimize possessions. That's the only rationale i can imagine, as it seems to make life difficult for everyone when we don't even bother to try to get defenders out of position, until it's iso or desperation time.

I think you're misremembering. When Jalen came in it was for Hughes and he went to the 2 with Tyus going to the 3. Frank stayed at PG. Jalen didn't handle the ball much and didn't penetrate. He fumbled the ball once but we got it back. He also caught JBs wrath because he was shaking and baking for a few seconds then passed the ball to Frank deep outside with 2 seconds on the shot clock. I think he did score late in he game on penetration when JB brought in him, Buddy and Braswell and Buzz had finally subbed.

Not sure why you think he can play basketball, but ok...

77d21c265b34c05863783b8a512327ed.jpeg

I think you're misremembering. When Jalen came in it was for Hughes and he went to the 2 with Tyus going to the 3. Frank stayed at PG. Jalen didn't handle the ball much and didn't penetrate. He fumbled the ball once but we got it back. He also caught JBs wrath because he was shaking and baking for a few seconds then passed the ball to Frank deep outside with 2 seconds on the shot clock. I think he did score late in he game on penetration when JB brought in him, Buddy and Braswell and Buzz had finally subbed.
My memory does suck out loud, but i thought the play i was referring to was before i noticed that Carey was playing a '2 guard role.' I don't think i imagined an entire play. As Barkley says, "I may be wrong, but i don't think so."

My memory does suck out loud, but i thought the play i was referring to was before i noticed that Carey was playing a '2 guard role.' I don't think i imagined an entire play. As Barkley says, "I may be wrong, but i don't think so."

I’m gonna guess you were drinking or reading the OT board.

10:08 - 5:25 on watch ESPN.

Baye Keita used to be great at that.

it's not that they lose it's the way they lose and Coach never seems to make different adjustments besides just adjusting what he does in his zone, he'll never go to man-to-man because that's where the stubbornness comes in cuz he always feels that his defense is better than anything else which in some cases that's true but some teams eat that zone alive and that's my point. e

No, we make lots of adjustments every game. Jay Bilas calls it a "Scouting Report Zone" - meaning that we adjust it to what the other team is good at, and try to take that away and make their other guys beat you.

If the other team's offense is making threes, we push them farther out, and bring both forwards up, almost like we're playing a 2-2-1 defense.

Then, other times the other team is getting into the lane, so the guards will back off a bit. If the other team is hitting the entry pass to the foul line, we pinch the guys in to try to prevent that pass. If the other team tries to throw it over the top for lobs, then we bring the forwards back down a bit.

If we have an opponent who is over-powering our center like Zion Williamson did for Duke, then we took the ball side forward and sagged in front of Zion, to make it hard to throw him an entry pass, so he didn't absolutely kill us, and we won the game.

So if you don't think the zone makes adjustments, you just haven't learned how to watch it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom