This team lacks a Bad A | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This team lacks a Bad A

This was my experience also. As much as many people here want him gone, he will be a big loss at the end of the season.

I don't know that we'll be better of with the personnel we have, but I'll be glad to move on at point guard next season. Without denigrating Frank as a player, I'm just not happy with what he gives us at the position with the mix of players that we surround him with. That isn't necessarily his "fault", but I'm not confident we are going to get it done with him at the point.

Hope that changes over the remainder of the season.

Look I know we make adjustments I've said this in almost every message I sent regarding this topic, you can go back and read them if you want to is it you'll see it.
I know coach makin a lot of adjustments in the zone cuz that's pretty much the only thing you can do are the only thing he can do. that's why I wish you would throw different types of defenses and not just a 2-3 Zone every single game every single minute. I wish you would just throw different looks by throwing different defenses at people keep them on their toes a little bit. I don't get me wrong we have been blessed to have coach and have this program at such a high level for such a long time but seems like maybe seems like you could possibly be in a slight to climb I mean I know he's getting very old but he still seems Sharp, but we definitely have not been the same program since we were top five in the CJ Fair and Fab Melo era. In regards to some things it just seems like coach is His Own Worst Enemy in his unwillingness to change or to possibly change a look for a short time in a game when did zone defense is getting tore up. now I'm going to get ahead of this right now I am not saying that I'm not happy with coach or with the zone I am simply just saying that I wish we could try to mix it up on defense, now I know these just words, knowing it's not going to happen. Coach is never goin to change his defensive strategy n do what he wants to do no matter what and I guess sometimes thats where my frustration comes in.

He's taught man for man before. it's just that he had three #1 ranked teams in the five years after he switched to all zone. Our problems have been on offense much more than on defense in the years since.
I started watching SU basketball probably around 1990-91 and I know they were zone then but im pretty sure they played man and zone in the 80s? Correct me if im wrong? he did pretty well then why would he give it up? I know his teams weren't known for there man to man defense like say what Bennett has done for Virginia or Villanova for example.

Last edited:
Look I know we make adjustments I've said this in almost every message I sent regarding this topic, you can go back and read them if you want to is it you'll see it.
I know coach makin a lot of adjustments in the zone cuz that's pretty much the only thing you can do are the only thing he can do. that's why I wish you would throw different types of defenses and not just a 2-3 Zone every single game every single minute. I wish you would just throw different looks by throwing different defenses at people keep them on their toes a little bit. I don't get me wrong we have been blessed to have coach and have this program at such a high level for such a long time but seems like maybe seems like you could possibly be in a slight to climb I mean I know he's getting very old but he still seems Sharp, but we definitely have not been the same program since we were top five in the CJ Fair and Fab Melo era. In regards to some things it just seems like coach is His Own Worst Enemy in his unwillingness to change or to possibly change a look for a short time in a game when did zone defense is getting tore up. now I'm going to get ahead of this right now I am not saying that I'm not happy with coach or with the zone I am simply just saying that I wish we could try to mix it up on defense, now I know these just words, knowing it's not going to happen. Coach is never goin to change his defensive strategy n do what he wants to do no matter what and I guess sometimes thats where my frustration comes in.

...when we played the 2-3 all the time, just as we do now.

I started watching SU basketball probably around 1990-91 and I know they were zone then but im pretty sure they played man and zone in the 80s? Correct me if im wrong? he did pretty well then why would he give it up? I know his teams weren't known for there man to man defense like say what Bennett has done for Virginia or Villanova for example.

He's said why he gave up man for man. Teaching both defenses took up too much practice time and he felt we could do better focusing on the zone, which can be a different defense depending on how your choose to play it. And he was rewarded for that decision with three #1 teams in the next five seasons. Our fortunes declined because we haven't been able to recruit a good point guard since Ennis or an inside scorer since Christmas and our depth has been limited due to the probation. With the exception of one year, (2016-17), our defense has continued to be excellent, which is why he hasn't changed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom