this team seems similar to the '12-13 squad | Syracusefan.com

this team seems similar to the '12-13 squad

pearl31

in cahoots
first - this is not to say I expect the result (f4) to be the same.

• crazy length in the 2-3, esp up top (TB/FH - triche/mcw) and at the C spot
  • generally a struggle to score 70
  • emerging wing player w offensive ability (OB - Fair)
  • iffy shooting in general
  • no real offensive threat from the 4, but strong "other" contribution (MD/Moyer - Grant/Rak)

this year we have a legit dynamic scorer (TB) that the 12-13 lacked, but that team was seemingly stronger on the defensive end and was more experienced/cohesive. also mcw stronger floor general than FH.
remember, though, that team laid a bunch of eggs - I remember them almost losing at home to St. Francis, losing in the Garden to Temple, and getting crushed x2 by g'town.

fwiw

• no real offensive threat from the 4, but strong "other" contribution (MD/Moyer - Grant/Rak)

this year we have a legit dynamic scorer (TB) that the 12-13 lacked, but that team was seemingly stronger on the defensive end and was more experienced/cohesive. also mcw stronger floor general than FH.
remember, though, that team laid a bunch of eggs - I remember them almost losing at home to St. Francis, losing in the Garden to Temple, and getting crushed x2 by g'town.

fwiw

This team doesn’t have anyone remotely similar to Southerland in terms of 3 point shooting and had 4 guys who could score, not 3.

fwiw
I think people forget how good and solid Triche was... started from day 1. MCW was an NBA lottery pick... Grant was a lottery pick... Rak was one of the best centers to play at Cuse. I agree with you that both teams were/are offensively challenged and both excelled at D but 12/13 team had a shite ton of NBA talent this team has battle and brissett and that's about it. As Dicky V stated, this version of the Cuse does not have the players we are used to seeing.

I will be pleasantly surprised if we make the dance this year because I think Howard is cooked.

I think people forget how good and solid Triche was... started from day 1. MCW was an NBA lottery pick... Grant was a lottery pick... Rak was one of the best centers to play at Cuse. I agree with you that both teams were/are offensively challenged and both excelled at D but 12/13 team had a shite ton of NBA talent this team has battle and brissett and that's about it. As Dicky V stated, this version of the Cuse does not have the players we are used to seeing.

I will be pleasantly surprised if we make the dance this year because I think Howard is cooked.

Grant wasn't a lottery pick.

Grant wasn't a lottery pick.
I was mistaken then... regardless he's a starter on an NBA team and had definite NBA talent even then.

This team doesn't have that elite level of talent outside of two players and for better or worse goes from elite to marginal ACC talent pretty quickly especially now that Frank Howard is regressing.

I was mistaken then... regardless he's a starter on an NBA team and had definite NBA talent even then.

This team doesn't have that elite level of talent outside of two players and for better or worse goes from elite to marginal ACC talent pretty quickly especially now that Frank Howard is regressing.
Grant isn’t a starter on OKC

That team had 2 nba players - this years team has (IMO) two nba players...
as 0307 noted above, the real difference is that team did have a legit 3pt threat in Southy while this team does not have a shooter like that.
(and, btw, Grant was not yet a good offensive player in 12-13 - helluva rebounder/shot blocker/defensive player - so in that regard, in terms of actual production, he was actually quite similar that season to what Marek is now)

I like this comparison. I think this team's defense could be as good as the '12-'13 defense; they're just young and still figuring things out. The offense, or lack thereof, is pretty much spot on. While I'm certainly not saying Frank will be on MCW's level, he does share some of the same tendencies. He's a big guard who plays defense well at the top of the zone (not as well as MCW, but not bad). He can't shoot, he makes poor decisions at times and forces plays that aren't there, but he also racks up a decent number of assists. MCW was a good distributor who turned the ball over a ton, if memory serves me. Battle is clearly more talented than Triche was, but Triche was a grizzled veteran. I think Oshae is at least on par with Fair from that season. Fair shot an uncharacteristically high percentage from deep but that was only on something like 1.5 attempts per game. And it's not a big stretch to think Sidibe and Chukwu could do what Keita and Christmas did.

The x-factor is Southerland. We don't have a Southerland this season and I don't see any of the Forwards improving enough from behind the arc to be even close to the threat he was.

Triche was great, but Battle's better. Grant was a freak athlete and a good spark off the bench, but he wasn't a big contributor on that team. The NBA talent on the '12-'13 squad wasn't that significant. MCW and Grant were basically it. Fair, Southerland, Triche weren't drafted. Rak is hanging on by a thread and wasn't a high level college player until his senior year.

I think this young team will really struggle on the road. Most do.
Every talented team is young these days. If you have a team of old farts, it generally means you're a mid-major. So, let's stop with the youth excuse. It's not a liability like it was 20 years ago.

Every talented team is young these days. If you have a team of old farts, it generally means you're a mid-major. So, let's stop with the youth excuse. It's not a liability like it was 20 years ago.
No, but this team is exceptionally young: four true freshmen, one redshirt freshman, a fourth year junior who has barely played in three years, a sophomore and a junior.

We have two players who got minutes left over from last year.

We aren't Kentucky or Duke. Many on this board expressed great disappointment with our recruiting last year. And 5 of our 8 players are frosh. We don't have one sr. teams have got younger over the past few years, but not this young.

The 2002-2003 team had 4 freshman and 3 sophomores who got minutes, along with a senior Duany and a junior McNeil,

The 2002-2003 team had 4 freshman and 3 sophomores who got minutes, along with a senior Duany and a junior McNeil,
Of course. Do you see a Melo out there? He was top 1 -2 player in the country coming out. This squad didn't have a top 100 player. And without Melo on that team, well, you know.

Over who exactly? Hughes? Don't think so

If they lack shooters now and Buddy can shoot, they'll find a way to get him on the floor. However if Hughes is that good I'll be thrilled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom