This was a 6 win team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This was a 6 win team

this gamble only works if moe neal gains a lot of weight without getting slow

it's a big bet on the S&C program

I wonder if they look at another grad transfer at RB after signing day. But I like both of the RB from FL.

Moe will be moved no matter what though. I'd rather see Strickland play somewhere where there is more space to move - Don't like him running between the tackles at all.

Agreed, the UConn game wasn't a lay up either, these predictions that we ARE a 6 wins are crazy. Fact is even with Dungey we are a 5 win team most likely at best ( if we win NC st) Wake Forest beat us on the freaking field. so crazy people still looking at the game, their RB destroyed us, their defense played well. I don't get it

it was 16-9 with 5 mins left lets not get crazy with anyone destroying us

it was 16-9 with 5 mins left lets not get crazy with anyone destroying us

This. The weather played to their strengths and hurt ours. Doesn't mean we for sure win in the dome - but it's perfectly reasonable to assume a better outcome.

It's like this:

If our running game was good, our offense would be exponetionally better. Yards per play would be way, way up with just an average running game.
If our best RB played, our passing game would be worse and our offense would suffer (because JF can't do the things the system requires him to do well enough in the passing game).

I think Babers goal this season was to install his system, results be damned (and the growth that the players would gain in it, as well as showcasing things for recruiting purposes). And I think it was the right choice. He's playing the long game.

Basically: His system in year one with no running game > Not a full install of the system using a better RB

--

So next year a great deal depends on ED's health. If he can go and Rex is a capable backup, we get to RS Tommy D. (Best case scenario, IMO). I think one of the true freshman RB comes in (I like Markenzy Pierre) and wins the job as #1, Strickland moves to the slot or to S.

So to complete the circle: If our running game was good, our offense would be exponetionally better.
Fredericks dropped on pass out of three. He pass blocks the best. Give it a rest already. He can play in this system. How many times was he given a hand off in regular playing time to say he "can't" play? For some reason YOU want him gone. Is a threat to your family member next year? Keep searching for excuses. Fredericks is the same size as Coppet was at BGU. I see quite a few of you "adults" trying to bash him but have no clue to what is really going on behind the scenes. As a matter of fact have you ever said anything nice about anyone? Whoever they bring in next year you will bash them to.

Strick, Fredricks and Neal can run the ball. I admit, I still think Neal is best suited for the slot but our line was severly young and inexpereinced. Also had to learn a new system that had different blocking techniques. Its a serious propblem if your lineman can't get a push in a power scheme. That was the biggest issue, not the RB's. Dino was installing his run scheme no matter what. He is thinking for the future, not now. He wasnt worried about designing run plays for particular teams because he knew we didnt have the line to do that. Let them learn and get experience for what they will do next year. You put Travis Green (who was 185 pounds) and Coppet behind our O line this year. lol, would have had worst results. Be patient fellas.

Last edited:
Fredericks dropped on pass out of three. He pass blocks the best. Give it a rest already. He can play in this system. How many times was he given a hand off in regular playing time to say he "can't" play? For some reason YOU want him gone. Is a threat to your family member next year? Keep searching for excuses. Fredericks is the same size as Coppet was at BGU. I see quite a few of you "adults" trying to bash him but have no clue to what is really going on behind the scenes. As a matter of fact have you ever said anything nice about anyone? Whoever they bring in next year you will bash them to.
The majority of fans are still trying to figure out what is so wrong with Fredericks that he isn't playing despite his 5.0 yards per carry. The other RB's aren't catching that many passes. His pass blocking isn't that bad. His calling out the blocking assignments may be the problem. Or maybe he just rubs Dino the wrong way.
But most of us would have loved to see what he could do in the starting role.

* ED was the key. With him and normal conditions at Wake we win 6.

* If Eric returns we should win 6 next year in spite of another ridiculous schedule.
If you are correct that this year's team was actually a 6 win team despite the record, and that next year's team will also be a 6 win team . . . then you are predicting no improvement year over year, just a little better luck.

4 wins at this point of the season is how it was supposed to be (I know I'm being fatalistic, but that's all I can surmise):

1. Loss to South Florida: Not enough time in offensive or defensive system

2. Weather at Wake: An act of God

3. Loss to NC State: An act of Good 'Ole Boy refereeing

4. No chances vs Louisville, Clemson, and Florida State

5. Dungey knocked down again. Injuries all over the place ...and this has been a recurring theme the last 3-4 seasons--especially at QB. We ALWAYS are losing our QB!!

There was no way around 4 wins at this point in the season. There never was

My settled conclusion

The majority of fans are still trying to figure out what is so wrong with Fredericks that he isn't playing despite his 5.0 yards per carry. The other RB's aren't catching that many passes. His pass blocking isn't that bad. His calling out the blocking assignments may be the problem. Or maybe he just rubs Dino the wrong way.
But most of us would have loved to see what he could do in the starting role.
I agree. Well a new year is coming let's see how everything goes. I pray Dungey is well and returns next year, our Offensive line will be a year older and a little more experienced. God willing Fredericks returns in better shape than he did in the previous year. It will be great to see the coaches open up the play book and shock quite a few teams!!! I am already excited about next year. GOOO CUSE!!!

Strickland stinks at RB. I don't care how long you put him there or how much improvement he could make. RB is a feel position. You need to make quick decisions and cuts based on instinct, especially in this type of an offense. He has consistently shown he cannot do this.

Sign me up for a true freshman or grad transfer or JUCO starter at RB.

I wholeheartedly disagree. We can't fairly evaluate him because the o-line is complete garbage. It's hard to say how much is attributed to his skill set or the fact he gets no run block support. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say its the garbage o-line. I swear, every time he gets the handoff, the d-line is already in the backfield before he has a chance to blink...

as of right now we have the 28th toughest schedule (SRS)

odds are it will be ranked even tougher after pitt (#34 in SOS ranking)

i wish we had an average schedule this year.

as of right now we have the 28th toughest schedule (SRS)

odds are it will be ranked even tougher after pitt (#34 in SOS ranking)

That would have gone a long way, no doubt.

I wish we were in the Coastal.

Switch us and Pitt, and give us BC as our crossover. I know it will be sad for the dozen or so people (both sides combined) who care about the Pitt football rivalry, but it will be better for everyone. Mostly me.

It's only fair that we get a turn on the other side.

I wish we were in the Coastal.

Switch us and Pitt, and give us BC as our crossover. I know it will be sad for the dozen or so people (both sides combined) who care about the Pitt football rivalry, but it will be better for everyone. Mostly me.

It's only fair that we get a turn on the other side.
you only take turns on the bottom side

To get to 6 wins next year, they will need a huge influx of JUCO/transfer players. Need OL, DL & DBs and a burner WR.

Not sure why the negativity about our schedule next year. we have many winnable games at home, more than this year. Nothing wrong with the LSU game. its great for the program to go down there. Hell , an fcs, mtsu, central mich, wake , and pitt is a good start!

Me? I'm not sure you've been around here much. I get dinged for being too positive most of the time. I'd like nothing more than to see the kid get a chance and win it and end up winning a playoff game wearing #44.

If you know so much, why isn't he playing? The best I can tell is that it has to do with calling plays for the Oline, catching out of the backfield, and blocking (i.e. passing game things). We've all tried to figure it out and can't. It's got to be something.

If it's something that can be fixed, I'd love to see him as our #1 next season. Hope he figures it out.

Me? I'm not sure you've been around here much. I get dinged for being too positive most of the time. I'd like nothing more than to see the kid get a chance and win it and end up winning a playoff game wearing #44.

If you know so much, why isn't he playing? The best I can tell is that it has to do with calling plays for the Oline, catching out of the backfield, and blocking (i.e. passing game things). We've all tried to figure it out and can't. It's got to be something.

If it's something that can be fixed, I'd love to see him as our #1 next season. Hope he figures it out.
I hope whatever the issue is it can be fixed as well.

Can't blame the weather for the Wake game. Wake played in the rain too, it was equal for both teams. If we are truly better than them then we should have won. Period.

Coaches see practice. Me and you don't. There's no such thing as a "game-day player". Bring it in practice or you don't play.