This Week In Syracuse Football History (1964) | Syracusefan.com

This Week In Syracuse Football History (1964)

StanCuse44

Scout Team
This is from a media email my company receives.

---------------
Oct. 10, 1964
Syracuse def. UCLA, 39-0
Syracuse, N.Y.

UCLA held a 3-0 mark heading into its 1964 tilt at Syracuse, but the Bruins were completely stifled by the Orange defense, known as “The Spiders.” Syracuse held UCLA to just 4-18 and 45 yards passing, and backed the Bruins up for a remarkable -4 yards on the ground. “The Spiders” were all over UCLA, posting a pair of interceptions returned for touchdowns, one by Buddy Johnson (35 yards) and the other by Charlie Brown (54 yards). Hall of Fame halfback Floyd Little (Syracuse) returned a punt 90 yards for a touchdown, and fullback Jim Nance added two scores of his own.

I love "this date in history" stuff...especially when its sports...

First game I ever attended with my Dad. it snowed and those California boys looked awful cold as the score mounted. My Dad told me that Jim Nance blocked a Bruin into the air and Floyd "ran under him" on the 90 yard punt return that broke the game open. I took his word for it because all i could see was the back of the coat of the man in front of me. All I'd ever seen was black and white highlights and SU's orange never looked more orange to me than on that day.

This is from a media email my company receives.
---------------
Oct. 10, 1964
Syracuse def. UCLA, 39-0
Syracuse, N.Y.

UCLA held a 3-0 mark heading into its 1964 tilt at Syracuse, but the Bruins were completely stifled by the Orange defense, known as “The Spiders.” Syracuse held UCLA to just 4-18 and 45 yards passing, and backed the Bruins up for a remarkable -4 yards on the ground. “The Spiders” were all over UCLA, posting a pair of interceptions returned for touchdowns, one by Buddy Johnson (35 yards) and the other by Charlie Brown (54 yards). Hall of Fame halfback Floyd Little (Syracuse) returned a punt 90 yards for a touchdown, and fullback Jim Nance added two scores of his own.
Interesting! I never knew that was the name of the SU defense that year. I have to presume that was a one year event as I never hared the D referred to by that name over the years - like the Nebraska Black Shirts.

Interesting! I never knew that was the name of the SU defense that year. I have to presume that was a one year event as I never hared the D referred to by that name over the years - like the Nebraska Black Shirts.

It wasn't a long term thing that is for sure ... when SU had their title season it was the brawny sizeable 7 up front and during the Tim Green era they had 4 wheel drive ... some pretty clever nicknames for their defense during Cuse history.