This whole defensive secondary and coaches need to go | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

This whole defensive secondary and coaches need to go

Actually, as it was pointed out to me a few weeks back, our DBs aren't any smaller than most other teams. Again, totally new system, new coaches. It takes time, certainly more time than some spring ball, and summer practice.

"Season and a half" apparently can't be over-stated.

The best coaches adjust to the talent given them. Ward is jamming t2 principles down the defenses throat not taking talent and injuries into consideration. So make the kids "learn" om the fly and blow up their confidence? Blitz more if you need to and again, nobody has answeredthe absence of the 2 safeties over the top. They arent missing tackles, they aren't even in the tv view. Its still corners on an island like previous years, just with the chance of front 7 pressure.

Me too.
I am mystified by the folks that think all of the sudden the kids that are on this team will grow into titans and be able to match up against teams like Notre Dame. It's only been 5 games and yet what I saw today gives me so much hope for the future. So much hope the brighter days are here today, that's what I see.

I am mystified by the folks that think all of the sudden the kids that are on this team will grow into titans and be able to match up against teams like Notre Dame. It's only been 5 games and yet what I saw today gives me so much hope for the future. So much hope the brighter days are here today, that's what I see.
Totally agree.

The best coaches adjust to the talent given them. Ward is jamming t2 principles down the defenses throat not taking talent and injuries into consideration. So make the kids "learn" om the fly and blow up their confidence? Blitz more if you need to and again, nobody has answeredthe absence of the 2 safeties over the top. They arent missing tackles, they aren't even in the tv view. Its still corners on an island like previous years, just with the chance of front 7 pressure.
You really need to watch the game again. Many of the breakdowns were created via great scheme by ND.

We knew going that they were an elite offensive team. Our only hope was to play great offense and special teams...which, obviously didn't happen.

Honestly this was the first game I felt good about the progress. You could see the defense and offense growing. By end of the year we are going to see a different team. I was pro shafer but this is the first time I have see progress during the season in a very long time.

You really need to watch the game again. Many of the breakdowns were created via great scheme by ND.

We knew going that they were an elite offensive team. Our only hope was to play great offense and special teams...which, obviously didn't happen.

I watched the game closely enough. There are 2 ways of getting beat in fb. Guys understanding assignments and then getting beat by better athletes with the ball in the air and then there are corners running and trailing stud recievers with no help over the top. Also, guys running free with glaring missed assignments. Thats scheme. All with no pressure on the qb. Kizer probably didnt shower after the game.

Know how long it takes Bama's front 4 to get to the QB? About 4-6 seconds, on average. Currently watching FSU. Their line is taking about 4-6 seconds.

Scores like this are what happens when the D is left out there forever. Stalled drives have caused this. This game, it was the dropped passes. All of this is lack of experience in a totally new system, not a "lack of talent".

Our receivers are all experienced. Not a freshman in the bunch. Too many drops today in key situations. You cannot have that with a team like this where the margin of error is very thin. Drops when you're wide open are simply inexcusable. Combine that with some questionable play calling in key situations and you get stalled drives. Running a 170lb RB as the power back on a 3rd and goal is beyond idiotic. That's not on the players.

I watched the game closely enough. There are 2 ways of getting beat in fb. Guys understanding assignments and then getting beat by better athletes with the ball in the air and then there are corners running and trailing stud recievers with no help over the top. Also, guys running free with glaring missed assignments. Thats scheme. All with no pressure on the qb. Kizer probably didnt shower after the game.
Really ...only two ways? LOL.

I guess 90-plus yard KO returns/schitty special team play and lethargic 2nd half offense doesn't count?

Really ...only two ways? LOL.

I guess 90-plus yard KO returns/schitty special team play and lethargic 2nd half offense doesn't count?

Lol, want to put it on the specials? Yes, they were bad today and ED and the offense didnt get it done in the second half, but do you know what its like playing offense when you feel like you have to score on every possession?

Is Michigan in 1999 the last time we had a game at the Dome when both teams were ranked? I feel like 2001 Auburn was unranked but could be wrong.

Regardless, I really can't wait to have a big game like that again. Been way too long.

Looks like we weren't ranked yet going into that Michigan game. According to AP records. The Auburn game, neither of us were ranked yet, but both of us ended up becoming ranked. Auburn dropping in, and out. Trying to find the last time, but it's just depressing.

Soon enough.

What game did you watch. Defense had some big stops today. Best tackling day of the year by far. Red zone defense was great. Some big plays killed us. Every team we play will have career days due to the fact they'll see the ball twice as much as normal cause of how fast our offense is. You need to step back. This is week 5 of a 2-3 year rebuild.
What game did you watch? Their offense almost had 700 yards. I am completely aware of that and I just said that I believe in Dino. But this defense is so weak talent wise, good teams will continue to have 700 yards. Tackling was horrid. They literally had a running back run 5 yards backwards to one side of the field, reverse sides of the field and run for a long TD run. Then first play of the game they get a 74 yard TD with a couple missed tackles. Tackling was not good today

I do agree with this it will just take longer than some thought here. The talent curve is so far behind on the defensive side of the ball, it will take a couple of years. At least we are getting back to scoring and we will be able to attract some talent on that side of the ball for sure. When we can get more efficient on that side of the ball, it will definitely help our weak defense. I trust Dino and most the staff. They just need more of their guys since Shafer was so clueless.

I do agree with this it will just take longer than some thought here. The talent curve is so far behind on the defensive side of the ball, it will take a couple of years. At least we are getting back to scoring and we will be able to attract some talent on that side of the ball for sure. When we can get more efficient on that side of the ball, it will definitely help our weak defense. I trust Dino and most the staff. They just need more of their guys since Shafer was so clueless.
We have got to get Dungey throwing from a consistent position. When he drops down sidearm he's awful

We have got to get Dungey throwing from a consistent position. When he drops down sidearm he's awful
Agree. He just has to improve his reads and his ability to hang in the pocket a second or two longer. His opening quarter success compared to the next three is what confuses me. Cuse may need to take some more shots downfield as well.

Its also scheme, sorry, where is the...bend but dont break? The 2 deep safeties over the top? Still see corners trailing in coverage just like when we used to blitz, but...um, we dont do that anymore, we send 3-4 everytime and our defensive is in one place and flat footed pre snap. We must be a pretty simple pre snap read for most qbs

You are watching a different game. We blitzed a number of different times in this game and the Notre Dame OL picked it up everytime because we have 5'11 and 6'0 LB's trying to go against massive OL. Watching Jonathan Thomas blitz was painful today because his only chance was to run by the OL because once the OL engaged, he wasn't going anywhere.

Agree. He just has to improve his reads and his ability to hang in the pocket a second or two longer. His opening quarter success compared to the next three is what confuses me. Cuse may need to take some more shots downfield as well.
His presnap reads need work. He's missing single coverage in favor of the designed play.

Even when he has a pocket, and protection he just doesn't seem to step into his throws. His footwork isn't good, which takes away the zip, and accuracy he needs. Etta bails him out a lot. Tommy may start from day one.

Even when he has a pocket, and protection he just doesn't seem to step into his throws. His footwork isn't good, which takes away the zip, and accuracy he needs. Etta bails him out a lot. Tommy may start from day one.
He definitely backfoots a lot of balls (hence the sail). He had a lot of nice tools.

I hate posts that unfairly throw 20 year old kids under the bus. Our talent level isn't helping, but these runaway scores aren't because of our talent. The talent level is far from the reason for our defensive shortcomings. A number of other factors are playing a significant role.

1) We have players that were recruited for a completely different scheme.
2) We're running a new scheme
3) Said scheme has obvious flaws that are well known
4) Our offense is putting the D in a tough spot.
5) Half the teams that we've played are elite on offense.
Very well said. Just as the scheme is new to the players, the ACC is new to the coaches. I can't see firing anyone after one year. Growing pains, we have to deal with it, for now.

I hate posts that unfairly throw 20 year old kids under the bus. Our talent level isn't helping, but these runaway scores aren't because of our talent. The talent level is far from the reason for our defensive shortcomings. A number of other factors are playing a significant role.

1) We have players that were recruited for a completely different scheme.
2) We're running a new scheme
3) Said scheme has obvious flaws that are well known
4) Our offense is putting the D in a tough spot.
5) Half the teams that we've played are elite on offense.
^^^this and bcubs post on time...problem is people on this board are either thinking this offense will be an immediate machine or that since Babers did turn quickly at Bowling he will do it here...people need to relax, let HCDB get a few classes, let the kids learn and see it go from there...anyone thinking this was a win at the start of the season was just crazy and for the record we looked pretty good offensively on national tv before wheels came off.(33-27 half)..recruits are seeing a nice offense and possibly early playing in Dec secondary...

Improvement is already before our eyes. Watch the Colgate game. Watch this game. See any differences? Now imagine what the team will look like at weeks 10-12. Imagine further what the team will look like mid season next year!

Looks like we weren't ranked yet going into that Michigan game. According to AP records. The Auburn game, neither of us were ranked yet, but both of us ended up becoming ranked. Auburn dropping in, and out. Trying to find the last time, but it's just depressing.

Soon enough.

Yeah we started 0-2 in 2001, should've known that.

So it wasn't Michigan...maybe the 66-13 Miami game in 98?

But the fact that we are playing a Tampa 2 with 5'8 corners makes zero and very little sense
Let's run with that for a moment. The 2017 recruiting class has safeties and CBs at the following heights: 6', 6' 1", 6' 3", 6' 2.5". I'd say HCDB agrees with you exactly. Help is on the way. Of course a class isn't a class until signing day.

Frankly, I was thrilled we were deep in ND territory down by only 6 points with 3 seconds left in the half. This team has improved tremendously, yet is still making lots of mistakes. That's good because it means we can still get better. Imagine if we'd played a perfect game and still lost by 17? I like where we're at so far.

Actually, as it was pointed out to me a few weeks back, our DBs aren't any smaller than most other teams. Again, totally new system, new coaches. It takes time, certainly more time than some spring ball, and summer practice.

"Season and a half" apparently can't be over-stated.

Huh? We are extremely small back there...and at the lb position. Our LB's were the size of ND's receivers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom