this year was the second hardest schedule in Syracuse history | Syracusefan.com

this year was the second hardest schedule in Syracuse history

Millhouse

Living Legend
It's really hard to trust your eyes with this stuff. I'm sure I'm not the only one who shrugs at 20 wins without adjusting for schedule

95-96 was the hardest, after that is this year, last year, and 4 years ago. 2016-17 is down at 14th

It's really hard to trust your eyes with this stuff. I'm sure I'm not the only one who shrugs at 20 wins without adjusting for schedule

95-96 was the hardest, after that is this year, last year, and 4 years ago. 2016-17 is down at 14th

This can’t be. We played BC and Pitt eveybgane according to some

Cuse!

the best 39 SRS teams in syracuse history are boeheim teams - after that other teams sneak in between boeheim teams. that's funny. K has the top 28 duke teams before someone else jumps in

ACC bottom feeders. keep on polishing the turd if it makes you feel good. duke upset minus a few key players and ... MEH!
hope for better things next season.

You're on fire right now with data/analysis.

In short...thanks for doing it.

44cuse

Good luck next season
there's always tomorrow
sandy.jpg

i think what sandy meant to say was " schmuck"

Skewed by playing Duke, UVA, UNC & FSU... not that they aren't worth anything. What was non-conference schedule rating?

I love how the interpretation of "well yeah but we played some really good teams that skew it up" comes up, as if we didn't play anybody good that skews it up in any of those other seasons.

Playing 1, 2 & 3 a total of 5 times in a season tends to skew anything

You can reply to me, too.

Last edited:
Skewed by playing Duke, UVA, UNC & FSU... not that they aren't worth anything. What was non-conference schedule rating?
I love how the interpretation of "well yeah but we played some really good teams that skew it up" comes up, as if we didn't play anybody good that skews it up in any of those other seasons.
Playing 1, 2 & 3 a total of 5 times in a season tends to skew anything

You can reply to me, too.
Proper order now, I thought I had.

But that's why Millhouse said 2nd hardest schedule in our history. Our history is a long time. Sample size is working in our favor in this analysis. There are going to be reasons why all of the "hardest" schedules in our history are considered hardest. It doesn't really matter why though when you have such a long time horizon.

What about playing 7 games (7-0) vs 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15?

No - not 1, 2 & 3 in the conference... 1-2-3 in the country. That's going to skew anything.

Thank you. Your post are so insightful .The research, the time spent is so appreciated.

Hey no worries. Glad you found it so valuable.

For those of us who have been on longer than this board and it's previous 2 (at least) lives, I've got no issue telling someone whose posts I have read for years they are adding value. If that's what you take issue...given all the other B.S. on this board...[edit] had something else in here but I'll change it to: "it's not worth arguing with someone who tries to belittle a compliment."

Productive adult response as I don't want to be put in slow mode.

44cuse

You're on fire right now with data/analysis.

In short...thanks for doing it.

44cuse
i can go to a url and hit sort like nobody's business - this one i can't screw up!

probably not great because they know they are already scheduled to play Duke, UVA, UNC, & FSU

lots of teams have weak schedules when you throw out the best teams on the schedule

probably not great because they know they are already scheduled to play Duke, UVA, UNC, & FSU

lots of teams have weak schedules when you throw out the best teams on the schedule

I guess my question to you is this -- you throw out all these numbers as an explanation why we are still an above average program.

But do you watch the product on the court? Has it not deteriorated over the last 5 years? Syracuse's conference record over the last 5 years is two games over .500 (46-44, .511).

Over that same period, here are some other ACC records:

Virginia -- 73-17
North Carolina -- 66-24
Duke -- 64-26
Louisville -- 55-35
Florida State -- 50-40
Miami -- 49-41
Notre Dame -- 48-42 (includes 3-15 season in '18-19)
Syracuse -- 46-44
Clemson -- 44-46 (includes 6-12 season in '16-17)
Virginia Tech -- 44-46 (includes 2-16 season in '14-15)
NC State -- 39-51

What this tells me is, over the last 5 years by record, Syracuse is the eight-best team in the ACC. Behind Miami and Florida State, who both are football schools. And slightly above Clemson and Virginia Tech, also football schools. We are behind Notre Dame, even with their abysmal season this past year. But we are solidly above NC State. Hooray.

Sorry, but 8th place in the ACC over a 5-year stretch isn't good enough.

Isn't the result that we still lost? kinda pollyanna ish is this?

I guess my question to you is this -- you throw out all these numbers as an explanation why we are still an above average program.

But do you watch the product on the court? Has it not deteriorated over the last 5 years? Syracuse's conference record over the last 5 years is two games over .500 (46-44, .511).

Over that same period, here are some other ACC records:

Virginia -- 73-17
North Carolina -- 66-24
Duke -- 64-26
Louisville -- 55-35
Florida State -- 50-40
Miami -- 49-41
Notre Dame -- 48-42 (includes 3-15 season in '18-19)
Syracuse -- 46-44
Clemson -- 44-46 (includes 6-12 season in '16-17)
Virginia Tech -- 44-46 (includes 2-16 season in '14-15)
NC State -- 39-51

What this tells me is, over the last 5 years by record, Syracuse is the eight-best team in the ACC. Behind Miami and Florida State, who both are football schools. And slightly above Clemson and Virginia Tech, also football schools. We are behind Notre Dame, even with their abysmal season this past year. But we are solidly above NC State. Hooray.

Sorry, but 8th place in the ACC over a 5-year stretch isn't good enough.
I wonder what the strength of conference schedule is - no easy way to find it. I don't think this team was great. I just think 20 wins against this schedule is comparable to other seasons with 23-24 wins (none of us thought those seasons were great either but it's tricky to get used to downgrading expectations for wins even though it makes sense when your schedule is harder)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom