This years offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This years offense

Agreed. Meeks will be solid but not spectacular. Earlier in the spring before his injury McCord was saying he was a dog so that counts for something. But I don't expect him to play over JRS who I think will be pretty good. They may split some time though. Haynes will be a very good option, he has some deep speed which will be great to spread the defense. And his ability to get separation will be a nice change from what we've had in the past. When teams want to focus on OG, that should open things up on the outside for him. OG, Pena, Vilari and Laquint is a lot for other teams to worry about in the middle. Then we can bring in back-ups like a more seasoned Gill and Hatcher. And if injuries occur, we have a stable of very talented frosh who should be more ready to go than any other WR's we've brought in recently.

Vilari is great with the ball in his hands. He just needs to prove he can run routes. He didn't have a QB to throw to him last year to know what to expect from him but I think he will prove to be fairly solid in that respect.

keep in mind last season we essentially lost maybe our 3 main receiving options. We lost OG almost the entire season. Pena our starting slot guy really didn't play at all due to injury. And our best WR in Isaiah Jones was out after the first two games after he posted games of 3 rec for 71 yds and 2 TD's and 5 rec for 86 yds. Alford's first two games were 3 rec for 21 yds and 1 TD and 1 rec for 15 yds. That should tell you something.
Good thoughts. I see the potential in all of them. Looking forward to hearing about the battles in camp.

Yeah that is an interesting thought regarding OG. Does he want to play some more snaps in line so he can work on blocking and improve that area of his game for the NFL? He did add a bit more weight and is now at 236 lbs. Still slightly undersized for a hybrid TE in the NFL but much closer to what he needs to be at.
I just dont see how they can ignore his natural ability to find holes in zones. That was his strength. There are TE's that are used in the slot at times. Guys like Kittle LaPorta Kelce Andrews Hockison Gesicki make a leaving there.

Side note: the Cruz sacks stat was for the last I think 6 games and we had to run wildcat. It’s misleading.
Its a little misleading because we played wildcat much of the second half of the season. But I don't think the stat is based on just the last 6 games. This is Enrique's 2024 blurb on Cuse.com

Redshirt Sophomore Year (2023): Started every game at left tackle ... Played 803 snaps on the season, not allowing a single sack and was responsible for just three hits on the quarterback ... Helped pave the way for LeQuint Allen to reach the 1,000 yard threshold, marking the third-straight season Syracuse had a back cross the threshold ... When Syracuse turned to a run-focused attack late in the season, he helped pave the way for an offense that finished with over 172 yards per game on the ground

We're going to cause some match-up nightmares this year. OG alone does that but add in one of JRS or Zeed running against cb2 while opposing teams best cb covers the other and you have Meeks, Pena, Gill, Hatcher, etc potentially in the slot vs nickle corner or lb flexed out or air... oh and somebody better be watching for Laquint or one of the other bulls out of the backfield also

We're going to cause some match-up nightmares this year. OG alone does that but add in one of JRS or Zeed running against cb2 while opposing teams best cb covers the other and you have Meeks, Pena, Gill, Hatcher, etc potentially in the slot vs nickle corner or lb flexed out or air... oh and somebody better be watching for Laquint or one of the other bulls out of the backfield also
Add Villari, cant leave him open

be curious how often he and OG are on the field together or not. could certainly run both slot simultaneously or Mang as well. We're two deep with established, or at least intriguing talents for the first time in a long time.

Villari is a beast if you can get him the ball in a bit of space. Give him a few yards to build up a head of steam, and there are not many DBs who will be able to bring him down by themselves.

be curious how often he and OG are on the field together or not. could certainly run both slot simultaneously or Mang as well. We're two deep with established, or at least intriguing talents for the first time in a long time.

I could see OG lining up tight and then moving into the slot to get a matchup with a LB.

OG will line up wide alot this year depending on matchups. Imagine him wide with Hanyes out wide on other side, Pena in tight against a backer and or safety and Villarri in tight or split in slot and then Allen out of the backfield. Damn thats some scarry sh i i t.

The dline was not going full speed. Saw it clearly multiple x. We will be tough there.
Or was the OL so fast that they made the DL appear to be running slow?

Or was the OL so fast that they made the DL appear to be running slow?
Yeah this has been said many times that the DL was not going full go. So did the staff tell the DL to not play hard (seems unlikely), or did they just called defensive play calls that are read and react instead of rush (possibly). Even so you shouldn't get gashed like they did in the run game.

We know in the past we were playing a gap attacking style of defense. Is this new defense more of a read and react defense or was that just unique to the spring game?

OG will line up wide alot this year depending on matchups. Imagine him wide with Hanyes out wide on other side, Pena in tight against a backer and or safety and Villarri in tight or split in slot and then Allen out of the backfield. Damn thats some scarry sh i i t.
This is one of the reasons I think GoSU96 favors a base offense with two TE's (12 personnel). Having OG and Villari allows one to be motioned (to get LB coverage per Matt's post) and the other kept tight to run block, PP or leak out. LQA is a viable receiver out of the backfield, and we could split Haynes and JRS wide to keep the safeties out of the box. 5 legit passing threats are tough to defend.

Last edited:
I could see OG lining up tight and then moving into the slot to get a matchup with a LB.
I can see OG lining up any and everywhere. He can't be covered by any 1 person or position group... too big for DBs, too athletic for LBs. Unless opponents have an athletic anomaly like Barron (most dont) DCs going to have to gamble on someone else beating them in man coverage

This is one of the reasons I think GoSU96 favors a base offense with two TE's (12 personnel). Having OG and Villari allows one to be motioned (to get LB coverage per Matt's post) and the other kept tight to run block or PP. LQA is a viable receiver out of the backfield, and we could split Haynes and JRS out wide to keep the safeties out of the box. 5 legit passing threats are tough to defend.
Match ups vs opponents will determine the percentage of groupings. It’s where ever they feel like they have an advantage. For instance, you don’t want to be in a lot of 12 personnel if the strength of the defense is the front 7.

I can see OG lining up any and everywhere. He can't be covered by any 1 person or position group... too big for DBs, too athletic for LBs. Unless opponents have an athletic anomaly like Barron (most dont) DCs going to have to gamble on someone else beating them in man coverage

“While Gadsden was labeled a tight end by Syracuse during his sophomore year, he spent the majority of the season lined up in the slot. He actually lined up more as an outside receiver than he did as a tight end.

According to Pro Football Focus, Gadsden lined up in the slot 433 times that season. He lined up as an outside receiver on 137 snaps. He was used on the line 77 times and in the backfield 18 times.”

Fran just said in his presser that our defense couldn't stop OG at all this spring, even when doubled. This is going to be fun.

Yeah, as long as he stays healthy, he's like a wildcard guy in our offense.

“While Gadsden was labeled a tight end by Syracuse during his sophomore year, he spent the majority of the season lined up in the slot. He actually lined up more as an outside receiver than he did as a tight end.

According to Pro Football Focus, Gadsden lined up in the slot 433 times that season. He lined up as an outside receiver on 137 snaps. He was used on the line 77 times and in the backfield 18 times.”

Yep, when you have a weapon like that you get creative.

With new staff past numbers might not translate but certainly a luxury they're afforded to have him.

Here is my two cents on the O based on position groups.

QB huge upgrade. No shade at Shrader but he was hurt the entire year and couldn't throw from about the third game of the season.

RB. LQ is back bigger stronger and will be better. Willis is going to make the frosh All American team he is that good, Add in Hart and Nixon and again a huge upgrade.

WR. Its not even close. The talent level this year is best since P days. Maybe better. Im a big fan of JS from Colorado State. Think he is going to be a stud and Pena looked great in the spring game.

TE. OG enough said. Mang according to the interview is the most improved player on O and Dan is a weapon that will have learned how to be a tight end.

OL. If the guys are healthy this is our best line in years. solid two deep with size.

Bottom line is Nixon has a ton of weapons at his disposal. He is a seasoned OC with both college and Pro experience. I think we are going to light teams up.
Good post

He can be tackled if the coverage is tight. He was at his best at QB when he had a 3 yard head start storming at the line on a running play. Those the plays when he would carry 2 or 3 tacklers for 5 yards before they brought him down. I like throwing to him in the flats, actually, on a late move, so there's not a DB right on him as he catches the ball, or over the middle, but on a late drag move after some of the defense has already moved to cover other players. If we can get him the ball in space, he's more powerful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom