This years offense | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

This years offense

Why is the 280 pound guy now a 230 pound tight end?
(Edit: I realize I've kind of fallen into talking about recruiting as much as our current offensive line.)

Because that's what our 280 lb tackles were when we recruited them.

Then they lifted weights to become undersized tackles.

Would you rather recruit a guy who is bigger to play that position?

The huge guy who doesn't know football and the undersized guy who had played his whole life both have a lot of work to do before they can play.

But would you rather have the bigger guy or the smaller guy once they get to their third or fourth year in the program?

We just recruited 5 raw, inexperienced 6'6 320 lb guys. This is what Fran is looking to do.

Our current offensive line after one offseason of Fran Brown has mostly big guys.

I think we're going in the right direction.

"Any similarity to players on Syracuse football teams from the past two decades is neither intended nor insinuated. If you think a particular player is implied, it is only your imagination. No football players too small to play offensive line were harmed in the making of this post."
That description reminds me of a guy that I went to high school with who went to Syracuse as a tight end and was converted to O-Line and was out of the program within 2 years.

Not if he's really a 250 lb guy inflated by years in the gym, and already at his (non chemical) biggest/strongest he could ever be.

If you're looking at 16 year olds who you plan on grooming into your offensive linemen:

Give me a guy who's an athletic 6'7" 330 and never laid a block in his life over a 6'4" 230 lb guy who's played football all his life and who's going to use his first three years in college lifting his way from being a slow tight end into an offensive tackle.

The little guy can't hold the point of attack nor keep a defensive end from taking his QBs head off.

At least you know the guy that never played football is big enough to get the job done. You can teach him by his redshirt junior year to do the job, maybe at an elite level. The tight end/tackle guy is always going to be too small.
I will never compare a 6'7 330 pound DT to a 6'4 230 DT. Thats a distinct difference from your original statement.

(Edit: I realize I've kind of fallen into talking about recruiting as much as our current offensive line.)

Because that's what our 280 lb tackles were when we recruited them.

Then they lifted weights to become undersized tackles.

Would you rather recruit a guy who is bigger to play that position?

The huge guy who doesn't know football and the undersized guy who had played his whole life both have a lot of work to do before they can play.

But would you rather have the bigger guy or the smaller guy once they get to their third or fourth year in the program?

We just recruited 5 raw, inexperienced 6'6 320 lb guys. This is what Fran is looking to do.

Our current offensive line after one offseason of Fran Brown has mostly big guys.

I think we're going in the right direction.
I don’t remember any 230 pound O line recruits besides maybe Macky MacPherson.

Nice video on Syracuse Football Instagram of Willis taking a screen pass to the house. Have a feeling we will see a lot of passes caught by our backs.

Nice video on Syracuse Football Instagram of Willis taking a screen pass to the house. Have a feeling we will see a lot of passes caught by our backs.
Oh sh!%, I need to check out Instagram

I will never compare a 6'7 330 pound DT to a 6'4 230 DT. Thats a distinct difference from your original statement.
Welp, I can't tell if you're being obtuse or deliberately misunderstanding my point, in spite of clarification.

Re-Read what I wrote if you care to, and see if you understand after that.

Welp, I can't tell if you're being obtuse or deliberately misunderstanding my point, in spite of clarification.

Re-Read what I wrote if you care to, and see if you understand after that.
Im simply saying that I am not comparing a 330 pounder to a 230 pounder. I was confused on why that was mentioned. As far as size. Yes we all like big. I just dont like big if they are slow, weak and have bad tecnnique. As it relates to D line play, I will go with someone "slightly" lighter if they are more explosive out of their stance, has a low pad level,can disengage blocks and change directions at a high level. Being big doesn't do anything for me if they can't do that.

Im simply saying that I am not comparing a 330 pounder to a 230 pounder. I was confused on why that was mentioned. As far as size. Yes we all like big. I just dont like big if they are slow, weak and have bad tecnnique. As it relates to D line play, I will go with someone "slightly" lighter if they are more explosive out of their stance, has a low pad level,can disengage blocks and change directions at a high level. Being big doesn't do anything for me if they can't do that.
Sorry about my previous post.

I don’t remember any 230 pound O line recruits besides maybe Macky MacPherson.
I watched the 1980s game against Nebraska the other day. SU's OL averaged just over 260 ibs. Times change, eh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom