This years team | Syracusefan.com

This years team

kcsu

Living Legend
Regardless of the record the kids on this years team are a really good group. They are well spoken, polite, and seem to genuinely care for each other. My guess is that JB really likes this team and they him. I know its a long shot but if Hughes stays we could make a nice run next year.

Hughes isn’t staying unless we find some bags to replace a European salary.

How about a summer internship at the scrap yard.
I like how you think. Figure they'll be more discreet with the under the table stuff than the YMCA.

Last edited:
The Elijah Hughes is automatically gone takes just make no sense.
i mean they are just complete speculation.
Why?
Does he have to go and if I go look at all other teams rosters I can probably find a lot of guys who have stayed 5 years in college basketball and gotten a chance in pro basketball.

Wes Johnson left because he was going to be a lottery pick. Players don’t just leave to leave.

Hughes is showing up in the second round of at least one mock draft:

He will undoubtedly go to camps and workouts.

If he gets advice that he could play his way into the following season's first round, who knows what he will decide.

Yeah, he is probably gone, but he at this point he is not first round and one never knows what will happen for sure.

Hughes is showing up in the second round of at least one mock draft:

He will undoubtedly go to camps and workouts.

If he gets advice that he could play his way into the following season's first round, who knows what he will decide.

Yeah, he is probably gone, but he at this point he is not first round and one never knows what will happen for sure.

If he's projected there he should go.

Why?
Does he have to go and if I go look at all other teams rosters I can probably find a lot of guys who have stayed 5 years in college basketball and gotten a chance in pro basketball.

Wes Johnson left because he was going to be a lottery pick. Players don’t just leave to leave.

I wish you were wrong, however...

Why?

He’ll have his degree and already be “old” by nba draft standards. I’m also not sure what else he can prove at this level.

If he stayed another year and entered the 2021 draft he’d be 23 years old

I wish you were wrong, however...
So JB and the staff expect Hughes gone after this year. I can accept the truth then.

This just doesn’t make sense and speaks to a problem though.
Players go pro when they can no doubt but unless this kid gets drafted leaving just happens more here than the rest of the country.

So JB and the staff expect Hughes gone after this year. I can accept the truth then.

This just doesn’t make sense and speaks to a problem though.
Players go pro when they can no doubt but unless this kid gets drafted leaving just happens more here than the rest of the country.

That I don't know but he has been in college for four years and turns 22 in March. JB of course was candid on the radio show last week about this issue and our guys. I am sure it goes over like a led balloon with them too.

He’ll have his degree and already be “old” by nba draft standards. I’m also not sure what else he can prove at this level.

Exactly - once you get the degree what is the point of staying other than pleasing fans which doesn't pay the bills. He's an intriguing prospect with pros and cons.

This matters if you are drafting a kid on upside. Hughes and basically anyone who doesn’t leave by their Sophomore year the age argument doesn’t matter.
The NBA at that point draft 3 and D players in the second round or players who can fit a role.

Hughes isn’t going to be a lottery pick so that is where his age would matter.
Ethan Happ was a first team all-Big Ten player 3 times.
He redshirted a year. He didn’t leave Wisconsin after his RS Jr season. He was a second team all-American at 22 years old.

Went undrafted and is playing in Europe.
I can find a bunch of these players.
Hughes unless he is getting drafted to
just assume he is gone without him basically declaring this is just bad for the program.

Exactly - once you get the degree what is the point of staying other than pleasing fans which doesn't pay the bills. He's an intriguing prospect with pros and cons.
I am as pro player as anyone. If you can get drafted go pro.

If you are leaving because you are 22 and aren’t getting drafted it’s stupid to go pro just because of age. You go pro when you can stick at that point.
Kids leaving early and getting first round money makes sense. That is potential. You may not stick:

I am as pro player as anyone. If you can get drafted go pro.

If you are leaving because you are 22 and aren’t getting drafted it’s stupid to go pro just because of age. You go pro when you can stick at that point.
Kids leaving early and getting first round money makes sense. That is potential. You may not stick:
Agree to disagree - he can make money playing without ever playing in the NBA. Is the belief that he isn't an NBA player now but will be after one more year of development under our staff? Also you never know who may stick - who on this board thought Oshea was going to get time in the league.? In this case especially, degree in hand, above the legal drinking age for me signals no brainer to leave.

Agree to disagree - he can make money playing without ever playing in the NBA. Is the belief that he isn't an NBA player now but will be after one more year of development under our staff? Also you never know who may stick - who on this board thought Oshea was going to get time in the league.? In this case especially, degree in hand, above the legal drinking age for me signals no brainer to leave.
Brissett was a Sophomore or Canadian Junior.
He wasn’t staying 2 more years and using up all his eligibility.

If Hughes is leaving after this year to be underdrafted that is a Syracuse thing. Players don’t leave to leave.
I can find a lot more Ethan Happ’s if I spend any time on it.

This matters if you are drafting a kid on upside. Hughes and basically anyone who doesn’t leave by their Sophomore year the age argument doesn’t matter.
The NBA at that point draft 3 and D players in the second round or players who can fit a role.

Ethan Happ was a first team all-Big Ten player 3 times.
He redshirted a year. He didn’t leave Wisconsin after his RS Jr season. He was a second team all-American at 22 years old.

Went undrafted and is playing in Europe.
I can find a bunch of these players.
Hughes unless he is getting drafted to
just assume he is gone without him basically declaring this is just bad for the program.
The problem is a lot of teams use the 2nd round as a draft and stash for Europeans or taking a chance on a high upside kid who left early (Lecque, Brisset, etc).

we go through the same convo every year, I don’t know why people are so surprised by all of this. He can either get his degreee and start making money playing basketball at 22. Or he can get his degree and make money playing basketball at 23. Why delay his earnings for a year?

Brissett was a Sophomore or Canadian Junior.
He wasn’t staying 2 more years and using up all his eligibility.

If Hughes is leaving after this year to be underdrafted that is a Syracuse thing. Players don’t leave to leave.
I can find a lot more Ethan Happ’s if I spend any time on it.

syracuse thing? There’s 30 1st round picks. Then another 30 in the 2nd round. You know how many players declared early last year?

syracuse thing? There’s 30 1st round picks. Then another 30 in the 2nd round. You know how many players declared early last year?

It’s easy to look at us in a vacuum. We see it with everything: early entries, our resume for selection Sunday, the refs hate us, etc

It's way easier to get a masters degree at 30 than get paid for playing basketball at 30.

What's Hughes have to gain by staying as a graduate? Average 45 mpg? Take 30 FGA per game? He's already the best player on the team. Staying another year doesn't change that, he doesn't get bigger faster or appreciably better.

Why?

I don't think Elijah will stay, but, a perfect example to your point would be Malcolm Brogdon. It is not a foregone conclusion that you won't get drafted just because you are older. Strong leadership skills and team success sometimes helps. Show that you have gotten better and stonger every year. Who knows.

But his age matters in the sense that a human being has a fixed window of time where their body will allow them play professional basketball. If he comes back to SU, that's a year of earnings lost. Even if he doesn't make the NBA, the world is his oyster in terms of European leagues he could play in and make a comfortable living.