This years team | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

This years team

Why did CJ Fair return for his Senior year?
What is different for him if he leaves after his Junior year?
Did he need the extra year to finish his degree?

The Elijah Hughes is automatically gone takes just make no sense.
i mean they are just complete speculation.
Why?
Does he have to go and if I go look at all other teams rosters I can probably find a lot of guys who have stayed 5 years in college basketball and gotten a chance in pro basketball.

Wes Johnson left because he was going to be a lottery pick. Players don’t just leave to leave.

Add to that the fact that Elijah comes from an upper-middle class family. So while professional basketball $$ would be meaningful, a G-League salary would not necessarily be life changing.

For those that aren't just going on history and pay close attention to the NBA, things started to make a strong change last year. 15 college Jrs & Srs were drafted in the 2nd round. Teams have gotten over the draft and stash thing and are starting to look for veterans that can possibly fill in a late rotation spot for a few years on the cheap. Increases chances that he could be drafted late 2nd round in either year.

Agree, but playing devils advocate, assuming the new NBA CBA eliminates one-and-dones and allows players fresh out of HS to be drafted waiting until next year pushes 5th year seniors into the deepest draft in NBA history.

Agree, but playing devils advocate, assuming the new NBA CBA eliminates one-and-dones and allows players fresh out of HS to be drafted waiting until next year pushes 5th year seniors into the deepest draft in NBA history.

I think the tide has started to turn on that front from the most recent stuff that I've seen. Definitely not something that the owners want and probably not something that the PA is going to be willing to fight for.

He’ll have his degree and already be “old” by nba draft standards. I’m also not sure what else he can prove at this level.

If he stayed another year and entered the 2021 draft he’d be 23 years old
Nothing wrong with that. Malcolm Brogdan was 23.5 when he got drafted. Turned 24 later that year. He went on to win Rookie of the Year. There are other examples of seniors or even 5th year guys getting drafted and playing in the NBA.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that. Malcolm Brogdan was 23.5 when he got drafted. Turned 24 later that year. He went on to win Rookie of the Year. There are a fair amount of similar examples.

there’s examples on both sides of the argument. That’s why there’s no definitive right or wrong answer.

I don't think there's much debate at this point -- if Hughes were to leave this year, he would be drafted.

All I’ll say on the matter is this...

This year Elijah is averaging 20 ppg, 5 rpg, over 4 apg while shooting almost 41% from 3. He’s shown a much tighter handle, ability to take it to the basket, hit tough shots, and has in-gym range. Also has shown his athleticism on numerous big dunks and blocks and is 6’6” 215 lbs.

If he keeps doing all of these things throughout the year and still can’t get a guaranteed 2nd round spot, I don’t see what coming back for a 5th year will do for him other than allow him to work toward a grad degree which he may or may not want.

I don’t want the kid to leave by any stretch, but I won’t blame him or anyone else if he does.

there’s examples on both sides of the argument. That’s why there’s no definitive right or wrong answer.
One thing for sure is that Eli or any of these other "should I stay or should I go" guys will be making money playing somewhere. It might not be NBA millions but it will still be six figures if they go to Europe or it could be G League money if they want to stay and try to earn a 10 day NBA contract. Some guys hate the academic side of it and/or feel they need to start working for a living. I've never understood how anyone could question someone who wants to make money doing something they love.

the CBA isn't up for a while, I think they could change the draft age prior to that (I think?) but there's been no real movement in that direction lately so I dunno if they would do it for the 21 draft at this point.

It's def a good consideration though if/when they ever end up doing it.

Regardless of the record the kids on this years team are a really good group. They are well spoken, polite, and seem to genuinely care for each other. My guess is that JB really likes this team and they him. I know its a long shot but if Hughes stays we could make a nice run next year.
He puts a spy among them.

One thing for sure regarding Elijah - best decision that both he and JB made was his transferring here.

I watched East Carolina vs. SMU this weekend...that team + Eli would be quite good.