Thomas and 44 | Syracusefan.com

Thomas and 44

memcorsu

2nd String
This is just a thought from a humbled SU fan. There is no need to insult my mother or myself because it is a simple opinion. I would give you free reign if she was a Hoya to insult, berate, tar, and feather her if you like because she would really suck in every way a person could suck and be fully worthy of the most degrading foul abuse a Hoya could receive. Heck, I would probably have beaten you all to the punch if it was true but she is not. I doubt that this would ever happen and is meant to show respect and honor to one of our players and give me an outlet for an emotion that has moved me. I humbly share this with my fellow orange brothers and sisters.

Let me first preface this by saying I grew up in a large city in the South (going to what today would be considered a title 1 school) and left a successful career in business to teach in a title one school. If forced I could share many personal stories that is usually attributed to this demographic in today's society. I am a first hand witness and success story of the trials a young person faces when coming from such an environment. This being said, I woke up this morning and spent my daily meditation/coffee time thinking about Shamarko Thomas and what he means to our university, community, team, and society.

To us Orangemen the number 44 stands as the highest honors which could be bestowed to one of our players. The greatness of those who wore the number on the 44 is only half the story imho. Much of what makes this number so important to us and our program is the fact that many of these young men were exceptional on and off the field. After watching the game last night I was personally moved by the play when Mr. Thomas was hurt. After the play happened, I instantly thought to myself, "Dear God, please protect this young man and bless him. Please do not allow this to be serious. Please let him be okay and get drafted to make millions of dollars. He is a light to this world and example to all of us, rich and poor, that no matter what the circumstances; we can achieve."

Be it you believe in a god or not, this is what went across the Dome and the respect of this young man could be shown in the reactions of all involved; broadcasters/TV, fans, and teams. I cannot express the respect that I have for Mr. Thomas. The dedication he has for his school, his sport, his family, and his community is second to none. I can only say that I would find myself blessed to show such bravery, stoicism, wisdom, and strength that this young man has shown when being dealt the hand that life has dealt him.

I do understand that 44 in the past is reserved for our RB's, yet we are in a new era of SU football. I would love to see this number go to a major stud running back that would lead us to promise lands, yet I feel as such a prestigious number should be given to a player that embodies the SU program and university and in a larger view our society. The dedication that Mr. Thomas has shown is on par with those who have worn the number before him. Although his numbers and position might not be what we historically look for when we think of the number, I think there is no greater definition of the number 44 currently or since its retirement other than Mr. Thomas.

Before you pass any judgement, please learn about this young man who has so humbly gone about a life that most of us would wilt under so average. After doing this, watch the play last night and you will see what he means to us, team and fans, with the respect all showed as he laid on the ground unconscious. You will also see the fearlessness and respect he shows to the game and life in the play that lead to his injury. I think it is this mentality that perfectly embodies and defines what it means to wear the SU 44. We have half a season left and I would be thrilled for such a young man to wear this number to be added to the annals of our history and tradition. There is no greater example on this team than Mr. Thomas of what DM wants in his "develop them as men" ideals. What is half a year?

I would be honored to have this young man in my classroom and have him speak to my students about his life. Shoot, I would be honored to be able to buy this young man a steak and just sit down and talk with him. I think after football, his calling should be as a speaker and mentor to those coming from the same demographic which he came from. It is so important to have young people like him come back and be a voice of reason calling out in the wilderness to others that, regardless of your circumstances, you can make life what you want. He is an example to us all.

Thanks,
MEM

P.S.
Can we please have a push to have this young mans story shared and celebrated during a ESPN game and through out the community.

P.P.S
Whomever is now in charge of uniforms should be given a 44 sticker. I thought they were amazingly sharp and the players look nasty mean wearing them.

I would rather see him wear #20 and be associated with one of our all time great safeties, Donovan Darius. I feel the same way about #5 and quarterbacks.

This is just a thought from a humbled SU fan. There is no need to insult my mother or myself because it is a simple opinion. I would give you free reign if she was a Hoya to insult, berate, tar, and feather her if you like because she would really suck in every way a person could suck and be fully worthy of the most degrading foul abuse a Hoya could receive. Heck, I would probably have beaten you all to the punch if it was true but she is not. I doubt that this would ever happen and is meant to show respect and honor to one of our players and give me an outlet for an emotion that has moved me. I humbly share this with my fellow orange brothers and sisters.

Let me first preface this by saying I grew up in a large city in the South (going to what today would be considered a title 1 school) and left a successful career in business to teach in a title one school. If forced I could share many personal stories that is usually attributed to this demographic in today's society. I am a first hand witness and success story of the trials a young person faces when coming from such an environment. This being said, I woke up this morning and spent my daily meditation/coffee time thinking about Shamarko Thomas and what he means to our university, community, team, and society.

To us Orangemen the number 44 stands as the highest honors which could be bestowed to one of our players. The greatness of those who wore the number on the 44 is only half the story imho. Much of what makes this number so important to us and our program is the fact that many of these young men were exceptional on and off the field. After watching the game last night I was personally moved by the play when Mr. Thomas was hurt. After the play happened, I instantly thought to myself, "Dear God, please protect this young man and bless him. Please do not allow this to be serious. Please let him be okay and get drafted to make millions of dollars. He is a light to this world and example to all of us, rich and poor, that no matter what the circumstances; we can achieve."

Be it you believe in a god or not, this is what went across the Dome and the respect of this young man could be shown in the reactions of all involved; broadcasters/TV, fans, and teams. I cannot express the respect that I have for Mr. Thomas. The dedication he has for his school, his sport, his family, and his community is second to none. I can only say that I would find myself blessed to show such bravery, stoicism, wisdom, and strength that this young man has shown when being dealt the hand that life has dealt him.

I do understand that 44 in the past is reserved for our RB's, yet we are in a new era of SU football. I would love to see this number go to a major stud running back that would lead us to promise lands, yet I feel as such a prestigious number should be given to a player that embodies the SU program and university and in a larger view our society. The dedication that Mr. Thomas has shown is on par with those who have worn the number before him. Although his numbers and position might not be what we historically look for when we think of the number, I think there is no greater definition of the number 44 currently or since its retirement other than Mr. Thomas.

Before you pass any judgement, please learn about this young man who has so humbly gone about a life that most of us would wilt under so average. After doing this, watch the play last night and you will see what he means to us, team and fans, with the respect all showed as he laid on the ground unconscious. You will also see the fearlessness and respect he shows to the game and life in the play that lead to his injury. I think it is this mentality that perfectly embodies and defines what it means to wear the SU 44. We have half a season left and I would be thrilled for such a young man to wear this number to be added to the annals of our history and tradition. There is no greater example on this team than Mr. Thomas of what DM wants in his "develop them as men" ideals. What is half a year?

I would be honored to have this young man in my classroom and have him speak to my students about his life. Shoot, I would be honored to be able to buy this young man a steak and just sit down and talk with him. I think after football, his calling should be as a speaker and mentor to those coming from the same demographic which he came from. It is so important to have young people like him come back and be a voice of reason calling out in the wilderness to others that, regardless of your circumstances, you can make life what you want. He is an example to us all.

Thanks,
MEM

P.S.
Can we please have a push to have this young mans story shared and celebrated during a ESPN game and through out the community.

P.P.S
Whomever is now in charge of uniforms should be given a 44 sticker. I thought they were amazingly sharp and the players look nasty mean wearing them.
Very nice post. ST's story is a tribute to his faith and character. I hope he is very successful so he can fulfill his promise to his mom.

Whether someone agrees with your opinion or not, that was a wonderful post. Personally I would have no problem with Shamarko wearing #44.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Great post. It's a cruel world for some of these kids and the ones that are able to rise above and keep pushing every day to make something of themselves deserve to have good things happen to them.

I just feel as if 44 is our "medal of honor" and SM deserves this award for his actions on and off the field. I would be proud one day to have children and have them look up to such an outstanding young man. Those who rise to greatness deserve to be rewarded. My father trained me to reflect on what I have done, good or bad, and not on what others do. It is one of the greatest messages I try to instill in my students; you are not rewarded for the lack of effort but for striving for greatness. Our country could take a message from a young man like this. I know there are many more, but he is ours and we should celebrate him. Epitome of a leader and, imho, number 44.

Very moving post. Certainly food for thought. And why the hell not???

The suggestion I've made over the years to give it to an outstanding senior running back could be extended to giving it to the outstanding senior player at any position.W hy not? Then we could always have a #44 that way.

Why feature a #44 in thew pre-game video and then not have one? Only SU. So many schools have great traditons. We have only this one and we hang it in the rafters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom