Those in the know, re: Coleman | Syracusefan.com

Those in the know, re: Coleman

pearl31

in cahoots
Does he truly need to shed lbs between now and November? If so, how many are we actually talking? And, does he currently have the attitude/drive to get that done?
Or, will we be seeing a replay of Fab's freshman season?

mehh -- all kids need to tone up and get in better condition when entering the college game ... I recommend he starts running lots and lots of hills to increase stamina ... not too worried about weight - it is stamina he needs to focus on

His skills are way better than Melo's. He actually has a post up and mid range game. Pretty good footwork for his size. I am thinking Arinze type of build and skills but maybe people in the know can give a better comparison to Arinze. I do think his conditioning will impact his minutes, but it's not like the staff and Coleman are not aware of what he needs to do in the off season. It's a question of whether he is motivated enough to get it done. Not much has been said about his work ethic.

How long you guys see him staying here?, i m thinking 2 with 3 at the max

I'm hoping he ends up like Patric Young with a better touch

Put me in the camp that isnt too worried. Since I have been following him, he has always been a big kid, even as a 9th grader. He carries the weight ok and does have some really good footwork for someone his size. If I had to put a number on it I would say 15-20lbs should be enough. Heck, a kid that age could drop that in a month by doing some cardio and just cutting out junk food and soda. (Wish it was that easy for an older guy like me).

Running 94 feet in about 5 seconds twice a minute for several minutes in a row is challenging for fit college freshmen. Nothing I've seen from Coleman suggests he is any more fit than Fab was during his freshman year. There's going to be an adjustment period.

I think it will help immensely that Coleman lives near campus. I just don't see a scenario where the coaching staff would allow such a high profile recruit, living 15 mins away from school, to show up in Fab-like shape. Expecially when you can use Fab as an example of how important showing up in shape is.

I'd love to know about his height...is he closer to 6-8 or 6-10, as both have been listed in various places? That could help determine how long he stays at SU, since the NBA usually doesn't get too excited over a 6-8 center prospect.

I love that Coleman brings at least elements sorely needed: rebounding & low post presence. If he shows up with the attitude that he's ready and willing to bang down low, get physical & do the "dirty work" (rebounding, boxing out, clear space in lane, finish strong, play through contact, and just generally bully people), he will get sure playing time and make SU even that much tougher to play against.

Can't wait to watch him play in McDonalds AA game tomorrow.

He's closer to 6'8 than 6'10.

Source: I've played against him and seen him play many times
Does that suggest he is better suited as a PF than C?

He's closer to 6'8 than 6'10.

Source: I've played against him and seen him play many times

OK, thanks.

Well, then maybe he sticks around longer than anticipated? I'd be fine with that...unless he's so good right now that people would view it as a disappointment if he didn't go to the league after 1-2 years and use that to negatively recruit us...

Ideally, yes, but he'd be terrible on the wing it seems like

In college he could get away with being a 6'8 C. Look at DeJuan Blair - he was a monster and he's shorter than 6'7. Thing is he has a 7'4 wingspan which means he plays at about 6'11. Look at guys like Paul Milsap, Al Jefferson, Kevin Love (yes he can shoot it), Jason Maxiel, etc, Zach Randolph... There is a market in the NBA for 6'8-6'10 below the basket big guys.

I think it will help immensely that Coleman lives near campus. I just don't see a scenario where the coaching staff would allow such a high profile recruit, living 15 mins away from school, to show up in Fab-like shape. Expecially when you can use Fab as an example of how important showing up in shape is.

I'd love to know about his height...is he closer to 6-8 or 6-10, as both have been listed in various places? That could help determine how long he stays at SU, since the NBA usually doesn't get too excited over a 6-8 center prospect.

I love that Coleman brings at least elements sorely needed: rebounding & low post presence. If he shows up with the attitude that he's ready and willing to bang down low, get physical & do the "dirty work" (rebounding, boxing out, clear space in lane, finish strong, play through contact, and just generally bully people), he will get sure playing time and make SU even that much tougher to play against.

Can't wait to watch him play in McDonalds AA game tomorrow.

We'll get to see in McDonald's game, but I'm thinking he's closer to 6-8 than 6-10. I also believe he has lost some weight in the last year and has been working with a personal trainer, but I would guess he still has another 10-20 pounds to go.

Being local, I have to think he has seen first hand how much work some of these guys put in. Add in the fact that he can probably get first hand information from guys like Triche and even Rautins. I'm sure they've told him how much more physically demanding the college game will be. As others have questioned, is he committed to doing the work between now and October? He saw what Fab went through in year one. Can't imagine that he wants that kind of baptism in the college game.

You bet that DC has been following this Noel thing; knowing that if Nerlens come to 'Cuse he'll have a huge battle on his hands for playing time, that has to be huge motivation for him.

It's very likely DC could come in next year and battling for PT with: 2 guys who have proven themselves at the college level AND the #1 recruit in the country. He better be in shape...

Speaking of this... the Noel chatter sure got quiet around here

I think Coleman is going to have a Paul Harris adjustment in that he won't be able to dominate physically as he did in HS. IMO, he's going to have to be in great shape to be a real contributor next year. I saw him play a little against great competition and he looked a little slow to me. This was his Junior year, so he may be quicker now.

Speaking of this... the Noel chatter sure got quiet around here

Im still going by jakes better than 50 50 and him including noel in his lineup for next year lol, but seriously it has been quiet, i bet he announces a little after the title game

We'll get to see in McDonald's game, but I'm thinking he's closer to 6-8 than 6-10. I also believe he has lost some weight in the last year and has been working with a personal trainer, but I would guess he still has another 10-20 pounds to go.

He may also still be growing.

Im still going by jakes better than 50 50 and him including noel in his lineup for next year lol, but seriously it has been quiet, i bet he announces a little after the title game
There's not much to talk about. He's coming to Syracuse or not and he's obviously waiting until after the tourney to make his decision. Although, according to Hoya fans in the know, wasn't he supposed to commit to Georgetown yesterday?

Guess not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom