Those two kids Marrone passed on | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Those two kids Marrone passed on

wfschrec said:
Well either that or it wasn't handled the same as it was under GRob. When I was a student there a lot of players did really bad things and it was swept under the rug when it could be controlled ... maybe Marrone didn't want to consistently bail kids out of tough spots and finally let them feel the heat. I was on M-Street when a former linebacker launched someone through a pizza shop window and that whole thing was buried, very little was done to said player.

I remember the story when Coleman tossed Johnston on the hood of a car.

I remember the story when Coleman tossed Johnston on the hood of a car.

No it wasn't Coleman ... this happened while I was there and I won't name the athlete here, it was during the coach P era.

Marrone and the rest of the OL had a reserved booth at Sutters every night, and they probably had their own private keg hidden under the table. :D

Parker Canty for sure. Chestnut, we forget about him. Middleton for sure. Probably Mele. Cervino might have offered some special teams help.

Mele and Middleton were successful at the 1AA's they transferred to, so at a minimum had they had their heads on straight they would have helped with depth, not going to argue that. Whether they would have had their heads on straight here is a different argument altogether. I'd throw Brandon Gilbeaux, Nick Speller, Dan Sheeran and Zary Stewart on this list as well. Problem is, with all of these guys, there's no guarantee they would have been successful here even if we had a different Head Coach.

Cantey? He had two years of eligibility left when he left SU, did he ever even play anywhere else? To have 2 years of eligibility left and not even play at the 1AA level is pretty telling, doesn't sound like he had the drive.

Cervino was a late flyer that GROB took and he did not develop into a D1 player, not sure exactly where you're going with him. If you're going to pick a special teams guy, pick Mike Jones. Who? Yeah him.

tep624 said:
Mele and Middleton were successful at the 1AA's they transferred to, so at a minimum had they had their heads on straight they would have helped with depth, not going to argue that. Whether they would have had their heads on straight here is a different argument altogether. I'd throw Brandon Gilbeaux, Nick Speller, Dan Sheeran and Zary Stewart on this list as well. Problem is, with all of these guys, there's no guarantee they would have been successful here even if we had a different Head Coach. Cantey? He had two years of eligibility left when he left SU, did he ever even play anywhere else? To have 2 years of eligibility left and not even play at the 1AA level is pretty telling, doesn't sound like he had the drive. Cervino was a late flyer that GROB took and he did not develop into a D1 player, not sure exactly where you're going with him. If you're going to pick a special teams guy, pick Mike Jones. Who? Yeah him.

Head on straight?

Mele and Middleton were successful at the 1AA's they transferred to, so at a minimum had they had their heads on straight they would have helped with depth, not going to argue that. Whether they would have had their heads on straight here is a different argument altogether. I'd throw Brandon Gilbeaux, Nick Speller, Dan Sheeran and Zary Stewart on this list as well. Problem is, with all of these guys, there's no guarantee they would have been successful here even if we had a different Head Coach.

Cantey? He had two years of eligibility left when he left SU, did he ever even play anywhere else? To have 2 years of eligibility left and not even play at the 1AA level is pretty telling, doesn't sound like he had the drive.

Cervino was a late flyer that GROB took and he did not develop into a D1 player, not sure exactly where you're going with him. If you're going to pick a special teams guy, pick Mike Jones. Who? Yeah him.
I thought Gilbeaux leaving was a surprise. Speller was such a weird case, and I didn't include him because he actually started for a year under Marrone. We could have really used him though. Sheeran had another year of eligibility on the table, right? Mike Jones was another headscratcher.

We were just so thin for so long. I'm not saying any of those guys would have been world beaters, but they could have helped.

No it wasn't Coleman ... this happened while I was there and I won't name the athlete here, it was during the coach P era.

A certain linebacker with the initials AP?

I think that one's common knowledge.

Head on straight?

Yes, head on straight. I question the drive and desire of players who transfer down a level due to a head coaching change. The exception is offensive skill position players where a head coach brings in a significantly different system. I get that.

And that's why I'm pretty convinced that the guys Marrone weeded out wouldn't have been difference makers even if they stayed.

tep624 said:
Yes, head on straight. I question the drive and desire of players who transfer down a level due to a head coaching change. The exception is offensive skill position players where a head coach brings in a significantly different system. I get that. And that's why I'm pretty convinced that the guys Marrone weeded out wouldn't have been difference makers even if they stayed.

That had nothing to do with it at all. None. As to going down a level, unless you are a star a lot of kids do when they transfer so they don't have to sit a year.

Talent wasn't the question. Although he did have a decent season being 3rd(?) in tackles. So since we have 85 man rosters, I guess we should just tell the bottom 10 or more to get lost each year.
That's what the factories basically do... not that its right.