Those two kids Marrone passed on | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Those two kids Marrone passed on

Just wondering - are D1 NCAA recruiting regulations different for football than basketball? Can alums bring recruits to campus to actually meet with the coach? Could that have been an issue - with a son on campus and being an alum, would that make one a booster? For all I know it's okay but the NCAA seems to have so many recruiting rules...

Regardless, it never should have affected how those young men were treated when visiting SU.

Garry's son, Michael, was a walk-on at SU during Marrone's tenure. His senior year, he was even added to the travel team, was given a scholarship and caught the winning TD catch against Rhode Island. It's all captured in P-S articles from 2011. So it appears that Doug Marrone didn't ignore Garry's son while here. It's a cautionary reminder though that how you treat people and how its viewed, can have long-term repercussions one can't take back. However it sure appears that HCDM rewarded Garry's son for his hard work at SU and during a tough stretch for their family. This incident had to have occurred a few years before Fall of 2011, Michael Acchione's senior year at SU, since these 2 recruits were already in college.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2011/08/syracuse_university_football_s_6.html
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2011/09/syracuse_university_football_r_4.html

Just wondering - are D1 NCAA recruiting regulations different for football than basketball? Can alums bring recruits to campus to actually meet with the coach? Could that have been an issue - with a son on campus and being an alum, would that make one a booster? For all I know it's okay but the NCAA seems to have so many recruiting rules...

Regardless, it never should have affected how those young men were treated when visiting SU.

Garry's son, Michael, was a walk-on at SU during Marrone's tenure. His senior year, he was even added to the travel team, was given a scholarship and caught the winning TD catch against Rhode Island. It's all captured in P-S articles from 2011. So it appears that Doug Marrone didn't ignore Garry's son while here. It's a cautionary reminder though that how you treat people and how its viewed, can have long-term repercussions one can't take back. However it sure appears that HCDM rewarded Garry's son for his hard work at SU and during a tough stretch for their family. This incident had to have occurred a few years before Fall of 2011, Michael Acchione's senior year at SU, since these 2 recruits were already in college.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2011/08/syracuse_university_football_s_6.html
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2011/09/syracuse_university_football_r_4.html
Michael had one more year of eligibility left. Nate Hackett wanted him back, Marrone gave it a thumbs down. One more appeal was made and Marrone went ape on Hackett.

Michael had one more year of eligibility left. Nate Hackett wanted him back, Marrone gave it a thumbs down. One more appeal was made and Marrone went ape on Hackett.

Not good at all - yikes. Was there some type of history? Not many walk-ons earn scholarships so I took that as a positive to have happened during the HCDM era. All this just sounds so awful and calculated.

Guy brought the program back to respectability after the "nice guy" GROB put it on life support, instilled a sense of pride, accountability, and discipline in the program that hadn't been seen in years, and was responsible for hiring your savior Scott Shafer.

Marrone had his shortcomings, and it's looking more and more like he wasn't a long-term solution here, but he was the right guy to clean up the mess that GROB left and he accomplished that.

H
Guy brought the program back to respectability after the "nice guy" GROB put it on life support, instilled a sense of pride, accountability, and discipline in the program that hadn't been seen in years, and was responsible for hiring your savior Scott Shafer.

Marrone had his shortcomings, and it's looking more and more like he wasn't a long-term solution here, but he was the right guy to clean up the mess that GROB left and he accomplished that.
He clearly didn't have the personality to be a college football coach. There's no doubt about that. Pissing off recruits, alumni and highschool coaches isn't a long term recipe for success

This a million times. He may have been ornery and aloof, but Marrone's job wasn't to be friends with people. It was to get perhaps the worst BCS team on the planet out of the cellar. He did that and we should thank him.

I've also gotten a different story, player treatment may have factored into the decision when it happened that day, but it was not the straw that broke the camels back.
From what I've been told, Marrone and Casullo bumped heads repeatedly over the way DM treated the staff.

From what I've been told, Marrone and Casullo bumped heads repeatedly over the way DM treated the staff.

Why would the staff stay with him on the trek to Buffalo then? Just to get their leg into the N.F.L. coaching family maybe?

No matter what FHCDM did behind closed doors, I will always be a thankful fan for bringing SU back from a very dark stage.

It's common knowledge that he was fired. I was asking if you knew why.

It's assumed by many that the Casullo's firing resulted from the way he treated players which isn't the entire story.

I have heard multiple stories who knows what is true what isn't. I do think Casullo took the short stick here but like I said Casullo should have never come back and he and Doug working together was never a good idea so they moved on. Is what it is.

Why would the staff stay with him on the trek to Buffalo then? Just to get their leg into the N.F.L. coaching family maybe?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not good at all - yikes. Was there some type of history? Not many walk-ons earn scholarships so I took that as a positive to have happened during the HCDM era. All this just sounds so awful and calculated.

Not sure what happened in this situation, but in most other cases walk-ons were added for their final year if there was an open scholarship. Another local kid, Trendowski, had the same situation. I think the expectation was it was only a 1-yr deal.

He was announced on Senior Day, and he left SU with a degree.

Plenty of 4 year scholarship players don't get extended for a 5th year, so there's nothing unusual about a walk-on not getting a 5th year.

This a million times. He may have been ornery and aloof, but Marrone's job wasn't to be friends with people. It was to get perhaps the worst BCS team on the planet out of the cellar. He did that and we should thank him.

Bingo.

There's a reason why kids like Mike Mele and Tucker Baumbach got "booted" from the program.

The entire Syracuse Football organization needed a cleansing and that was part of Marrone's sales pitch when he was being interviewed.

We all know recruiting wasn't Marrone's favorite coaching task, but I'd say he left Shafer with a nice roster to work with...

Rocco said:
Bingo. There's a reason why kids like Mike Mele and Tucker Baumbach got "booted" from the program.

Why was that? Mele was a workout warrior who got more out of himself than most.

anglerman said:
He certainly wasn't a very good player.

Wasn't bad either.

What's that got to do with it? He wasn't trouble here. Many others were under Marrone however.

I'm saying his on-field play might not have been the reason he was asked to move on. Anyone know for sure that he wasn't "trouble" during his SU time.

I'd rather have won games and turned the program around, as Marrone did, then to worry about potentially missing on a couple of kids. We owe Doug a debt of gratitude that I *hope* Shafer eventually reaches.