Thoughts on Babers making it to 2021 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Babers making it to 2021

WoadBlue

Starter
I said before the 2018 season that I felt the loser of the UNC-Syracuse game would have a losing record and the coach should get fired. UNC lost, and Fedora got fired.

Going into 2020, Babers has 3 losing teams out of 4 at Syracuse. Can the program afford to keep him if he fails to field a winner this year? Do you think he can deliver a winning team this year?

Side Eye Gif.gif

I said before the 2018 season that I felt the loser of the UNC-Syracuse game would have a losing record and the coach should get fired. UNC lost, and Fedora got fired.

Going into 2020, Babers has 3 losing teams out of 4 at Syracuse. Can the program afford to keep him if he fails to field a winner this year? Do you think he can deliver a winning team this year?
Havent even thought of it because he’s done such a good job repairing the program otherwise. Babers has at least another season before I doubt anything outside of Lynch and Ward.

I should add that those first two losing seasons really don’t matter as he took over a mess of a program. We beat Clemson in year 2 and were actually very competitive for 3/4 of the season against a brutal scheduleuntil injuries and a lack of depth wiped us out.

Last season was really the first disappointing season given expectations but it’s more than cancelled out by an amazing 2018.

Dino has done a nice job with the program so far and will be here for a long time.

In fairness to the OP, & if I’m not mistaken, Woadblue is a UNC fan and may not be up on all-things SU Football. With that in mind I’ll keep my response respectful & assume he’s not trying to troll.
HCDB is not on the hot seat quite yet. To the AD’s credit, we’re actually giving him a clear shot to turn things around here, as many of us believe he can and will. Now, another 4-8, 5-7 Bowl-less season and the seat gets warm. 2 seasons like that and it gets hot, IMO.
The Clemson win plus the 10-win Bowl season gave him a lot of rope, so more than likely we’re looking at 3 full years to see whether Dino is a lifer, or another long-term guest.

Prior to his hiring of coordinators and the recruiting so far from this season, I would have said he was on the chopping block.

however, with that being said, I feel he has excelled greatly this off season in those areas and 100% deserves a chance to coach into 2021

Unless we go winless in a season

1/
In fairness to the OP, & if I’m not mistaken, Woadblue is a UNC fan and may not be up on all-things SU Football. With that in mind I’ll keep my response respectful & assume he’s not trying to troll.
HCDB is not on the hot seat quite yet. To the AD’s credit, we’re actually giving him a clear shot to turn things around here, as many of us believe he can and will. Now, another 4-8, 5-7 Bowl-less season and the seat gets warm. 2 seasons like that and it gets hot, IMO.
The Clemson win plus the 10-win Bowl season gave him a lot of rope, so more than likely we’re looking at 3 full years to see whether Dino is a lifer, or another long-term guest.

Exactly how I feel. And I'm not trying to turn this into an off topic debate, but the Covid 19 situation may save some coaching jobs as there may not be a huge appetite for paying buyouts after no NCAA tournament and depending on the football attendance situation this season. Dino would be safe either way but I think that has to be a consideration when thinking about coaching changes.

I wouldn’t fire him even if he has 2 5-7 seasons the next 2 years

At this point, short of him doing something way out of line(unlikely - he seems like as solid of a guy as you’ll get), I’m good with the mentality that he’s our coach, period. I really don’t care if he has some losing seasons. There is no hot seat. If he can’t win here, neither will anybody else that we can get. He’s a good guy who runs a good clean program and tries to play an exciting brand of football...and he’s shown he can win here. I’m in for the long haul.

My opinion is that it is more likely Mack Brown will be gone by the end of this season than Coach Babers.

I hope it doesn’t happen but it has to be a major concern. Just as we Syracuse fans are concerned about JB and you UNC fans should be concerned about Roy Williams. Is your women’s basketball coach also in her 70s? Did AARP take over the UNC board and put in some new rules? Just curious.

I should add that those first two losing seasons really don’t matter as he took over a mess of a program. We beat Clemson in year 2 and were actually very competitive for 3/4 of the season against a brutal scheduleuntil injuries and a lack of depth wiped us out.

Last season was really the first disappointing season given expectations but it’s more than cancelled out by an amazing 2018.

Dino has done a nice job with the program so far and will be here for a long time.

We also beat Va. Tech early in his tenure. That also showed there was hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom