Thoughts on Mike Lindsley? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Mike Lindsley?

Thinking back to the early days of radio sports talk shows I think Howard Cosell is the first one who got my attention. 'This is Howard Cosell, speaking of sports." Say what you will about Howard, self-absorbed, ego-maniac etc, but he set the bar high for the format. He was controversial, on point and very interesting. He tackled the hot topics of the day in his own unique style. I remember tuning into the radio station that carried his show each day just to hear his latest commentary.

If you want to be a success at what you do it is best to study those who have been successful in your field of endeavor. If I were Mike, Axe Bud or Jim Lerch I would pay close attention to the formula Howard Cosell, Bob Kostas and Tony Kornheiser employed. I would try to understand what it is my listeners were most interested in. I would encourage feedback. While I'm a fan of the New York Yankees and now the New York Knicks I wouldn't force feed my listeners information about those teams.

In Syracuse we have SU football, basketball and lacrosse. LeMoyne & OCC have teams but not much of a following. Their are the professional teams such as the Chiefs and the Crunch. In New York state we have professional teams such as the NFL Giants, Jets and Bills. Are the Jets really a New York team? In pro basketball there are the Knicks. We have local high school sports and a few D1 prospects.
There are former SU players who are now in the pros.

I think to be a popular local radio sports talk show host, you have to prorate your coverage to those sports and individuals in order of interest. When we have a big SU football game coming up let's not devote most of the show to the decades long struggles of the Buffalo Bills or a review of last seasons pennant races. Amp up the big game, get interviews and stay on point.

He's at it again. It's the day after week 1 of the NFL season (excluding MNF games tonight), and the first talk radio day after Saturday's SU football game, and he's bringing on the SU Women's Tennis coach to talk about "all things sports" and the Men's US Open Tennis final. Do people in this town really care about tennis? Really? Especially when neither person is an American? He also stated this women's tennis coach is going to talk about football, preview the SU/USC game, and get his thoughts on this weekend's games. Why are we bringing in a Tennis guy to talk football? It's just baffling how he still has a show. I turn him on every day to see what he's talking about, and 99% of the time, I immediately switch to ESPN radio because it's just a joke.

Sorry, had to rant.

He's at it again. It's the day after week 1 of the NFL season (excluding MNF games tonight), and the first talk radio day after Saturday's SU football game, and he's bringing on the SU Women's Tennis coach to talk about "all things sports" and the Men's US Open Tennis final. Do people in this town really care about tennis? Really? Especially when neither person is an American? He also stated this women's tennis coach is going to talk about football, preview the SU/USC game, and get his thoughts on this weekend's games. Why are we bringing in a Tennis guy to talk football? It's just baffling how he still has a show. I turn him on every day to see what he's talking about, and 99% of the time, I immediately switch to ESPN radio because it's just a joke.

Sorry, had to rant.

I turned it off when he started comparing Bush's and Obama's 9/11 speeches.

There must be a dozen guys in this market who could do a better show.

I turned it off when he started comparing Bush's and Obama's 9/11 speeches.

There must be a dozen guys in this market who could do a better show.
Only a dozen? You're being too kind. You and I could do a better show with ZERO preparation.

Has anyone listened to the new afternoon drive show with Donavon Darius every day on 97.9?

Might be time to make the switch from 1260

Lindsley bores me... I love sports talk radio... love it... but his show is awful... Parkins would stir up trouble but his show had intelligence. He often made you think about a topic. I loved his SU coverage. I know we will never get him back but Mike was not the right choice. It's sad but I only listen when someone is covering for him. I enjoy Axe though its not always the most focused show. I appreciate that he cares about Syracuse and his heart is with the university.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom