Thoughts on Scott Shafer | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Scott Shafer

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I think Shafer is an excellent DC. He is one of the best in the country at defending against spread type offenses and given current trends, it is a really good thing to have someone who knows how to stop this style of offense. Given the caliber of players he has had to work with, I think his defenses have put up some impressive numbers. They aren't where I would like them to be all the time, but given the talent coming in on defense, I am optimistic for the future for the Syracuse defense.

The major weaknesses I have seen from the Shafer defenses at Syracuse are

1) an issue with stopping power rush offenses at times. That, IMHO was never a function of lack of knowledge/scheme but lack of proper personnel and I think it has been addressed.

2) we get beat long too often on passing plays. Again, I don't think it is a scheme thing but Shafer is going to put his CBs in man coverage a lot and if they are inexperienced there will be some problems. Especially if the safeties are young too. Especially if the DL cannot get a pass rush. See 2011.

Anway, I look for Syracuse defenses to consistently rank in the top 40 in total defense and sometimes considerably higher from this point forward.

SU Defense Rankings in the Shafer Era*:

Total Defense
2008 101st
2009 37th
2010 7th
2011 64th
2012 48th

Rushing Defense
2008 101st
2009 13th
2010 41st
2011 32nd
2012 43rd

Passing Defense
2008 83rd
2009 85th
2010 7th
2011 98th
2012 62nd

Scoring Defense
2008 101st
2009 81st
2010 17th
2011 73rd
2012 44th

Tackles for a Loss
2008 104th
2009 15th
2010 68th
2011 35th
2012 6th

Sacks
2008 100th
2009 6th
2010 54th
2011 28th
2012 59th

*=I also included 2008, the last year of the GRob era for comparison purposes...

As others have said, it is really important to retain Hackett. Retaining recruits is important and some have fixated on it as the reason others want to retain the current staff but the bigger reason is to retain the scheme and the knowledge needed to run it. Let's face it, we have seen some of the most ghastly bad play on the offensive side of the ball ever seen at Syracuse in the past 10 years or so and we can't regress back to those days. We just finished 18th in total offense, 29th in passing offense and 40th in rushing offense. More please.

Hope the reports are right and Nat is staying. That would be awesome. IMHO, we had the best 2 coordinators in the Big East, and that played a key role in SU winning a share of the conference championship. I don't know much about the ACC but I suspect our guys (assuming Nat stays) will be in the top 2 or 3 in that conference as well.

We know special teams is an area that needs to be addressed. DM handled it and handled it well in 2012. Let's see what other holes we have to fill as the staff solidifies. There should be money to hire good people as replacements as needed (I hope at this pomt, the university has the foresight to accept reality and pay market price salaries for an ACC coaching staff).

Any clue where he may target some Assistants if needed? Midwest guys, or do they now need another NYC guy more than ever?

I thought he did better with what he had or should have and made some nice adjustments at halftimes of games or on the fly. The power rush has hurt us along with that damn mobile qb thing but overall I see a lot of positives. Will he bump up a guy to DC or hire from outside? My guess is a promotion. Special teams...yes indeed if we can get a guy that can coach and recruit really well and most of the staff stays, we'll be in very good shape, especially if the key members of the staff stay.

As others have said, it is really important to retain Hackett. Retaining recruits is important and some have fixated on it as the reason others want to retain the current staff but the bigger reason is to retain the scheme and the knowledge needed to run it. Let's face it, we have seen some of the most ghastly bad play on the offensive side of the ball ever seen at Syracuse in the past 10 years or so and we can't regress back to those days. We just finished 18th in total offense, 29th in passing offense and 40th in rushing offense. More please.

Hope the reports are right and Nat is staying. That would be awesome. IMHO, we had the best 2 coordinators in the Big East, and that played a key role in SU winning a share of the conference championship. I don't know much about the ACC but I suspect our guys (assuming Nat stays) will be in the top 2 or 3 in that conference as well.

Well considering if Hackett doesn't stay, this board will most likely have an epic meltdown. What I find interesting about Shafer is that he has coached on the defensive side of the ball for the last 20 years even though he was a QB in college. You just wonder how he ended up on the defensive side without playing there. Someone took a chance on him early on.

Obviously he is going to lean on his OC for a lot, but I do kind of like the fact that he has had to defend against many different types of offenses in the past 20 years and most likely recognizes what works and what doesn't work. I'm sure he and Hackett will have many interesting conversations.

Well considering if Hackett doesn't stay, this board will most likely have an epic meltdown. What I find interesting about Shafer is that he has coached on the defensive side of the ball for the last 20 years even though he was a QB in college. You just wonder how he ended up on the defensive side without playing there. Someone took a chance on him early on.

Obviously he is going to lean on his OC for a lot, but I do kind of like the fact that he has had to defend against many different types of offenses in the past 20 years and most likely recognizes what works and what doesn't work. I'm sure he and Hackett will have many interesting conversations.

Offensive players coaching defence and vice versa is quite common.

As a player, other than self-scout after a game, most of the film you watch is of the opposite of the ball. Shafer knows how offenses try to scheme to defeat certain defensive fronts and coverages.

one stat.. if you take the 28 gift points in the NW game away we jump up about 10-15 spots on scoring D. that one game almost tanked the season and had nothing to do with the D.

Tomcat, I've seen posts where it has been suggested that Shafer isn't a good recruiter [that might be phrasing it too strongly]. Any thoughts / insights on that dimension of his background?

Offensive players coaching defence and vice versa is quite common.

As a player, other than self-scout after a game, most of the film you watch is of the opposite of the ball. Shafer knows how offenses try to scheme to defeat certain defensive fronts and coverages.
Right, that's kind of what I was alluding to. Even though he has never coached on the offensive side, he has 20 years experience of watching all different types of offenses. That why I said that he and Hackett should have some interesting conversations. Hopefully, no matter what, they are on the same page when the game plan is developed.

I think the hire will work out. Best move for the time. Drop all the MArrone post and hail to the new HC. We got our man!

That's true. And I think he'll give NH a lot of freedom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom