Thoughts on spring ball so far? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on spring ball so far?

I'm looking forward to the spring game , to see the mental development from last season. Of course I'm gonna watch the Qb's ,but I really loook forward to watching it again on recording that's when you can really see what's going on . Last year the O had its way I suspect the D will fail a little better this time

I'm looking forward to the spring game , to see the mental development from last season. Of course I'm gonna watch the Qb's ,but I really loook forward to watching it again on recording that's when you can really see what's going on . Last year the O had its way I suspect the D will fail a little better this time

LOL - sadly, that's probably not too far off. :p

I'm most interested in these 3 things and only 1 of them will be addressed this spring:

1. Custis vs Butler for WR spot opp Ish
2. Tommy DeVito, how much does he push ED
3. Markenzy Pierre looking like a beast and possible #1 RB

A good 3 interests in position battles, just dont think TD is in the same stratosphere as ED his first year.

Based on what?

Based on the intelligence and reps it takes to understand this offense. Not saying TD doesn't have the brain power, just coming in without a spring under his belt and adjusting to the speed of the D, the speed of reads, and the college game overall. He will be 3 behind ED and ZM. No shame on that. People dont realize we have an NFL talent in ED. God bless he stays healthy, the kid has the moxy, height, athleticism, and arm to dazzle on Sundays;)

Based on what?

Based on ED being a Junior, with the resuling physical maturity from 2 years college S&C -
having 2 full Springs, a Summer, and most of 1 season in Dino's system as a starter,
plus another Summer and most of 1 other season in the prior system;

vs TD being a Frosh - who as of yet still hasn't taken a single college snap.

I don't get why people are having such a hard time with this.

Even Jameis and Johnny Football needed a RS year before they went out and killed it.
It is highly unlikely that TD comes in as a true Frosh and threatens Dungey's grip on QB1, given the massive head start Eric has in terms of experience and physical maturity.

Devito is a very gifted, talented kid. He could be an all-time great for us. In time.

Based on ED being a Junior, with the resuling physical maturity from 2 years college S&C -
having 2 full Springs, a Summer, and most of 1 season in Dino's system as a starter,
plus another Summer and most of 1 other season in the prior system;

vs TD being a Frosh - who as of yet still hasn't taken a single college snap.

I don't get why people are having such a hard time with this.

Even Jameis and Johnny Football needed a RS year before they went out and killed it.
It is highly unlikely that TD comes in as a true Frosh and threatens Dungey's grip on QB1, given the massive head start Eric has in terms of experience and physical maturity.

Devito is a very gifted, talented kid. He could be an all-time great for us. In time.
But the OP said he didn't think TD was in the same stratosphere as ED was in his first year. I agree with the bold text above, but that's not what the OP said. He was comparing TD and ED in their first year. That was my question.

A good 3 interests in position battles, just dont think TD is in the same stratosphere as ED his first year.

We'll see. There was some talk out of spring ball last year that Mahoney was pushing him. And to be clear, I think ED wins the job outright and sets all kinds of records on the way to a bowl game.

I'm wondering just how close TD gets - as in if ED goes down early - does Babers go with the safe choice of Mahoney or is TD far enough along to give us a higher ceiling?

But the OP said he didn't think TD was in the same stratosphere as ED was in his first year. I agree with the bold text above, but that's not what the OP said. He was comparing TD and ED in their first year. That was my question.

Reading comp fail on one of our parts. :noidea:

I read it as, TD won't be in the same stratoshpere as ED - (because he's) in his first year (TD, not ED)

Honestly, it's completely irrelevant if Frosh TD is better than Frosh Dungey - that's not who he is competing against now.
And they are/were in 2 completely different systems.

It's a wonderful hypothetical, I guess - but since the OP was about questions that would (or wouldn't) be addressed this Spring, I'm going to stick w/ my interpretation being the correct one. Since your version won't be addressed, um, ever. Except maybe by Dr Who.
and - Because I'm never wrong. ;)

Reading comp fail on one of our parts. :noidea:

I read it as, TD won't be in the same stratoshpere as ED - (because he's) in his first year (TD, not ED)
Could be. That's why temery is working on an audio board so we can actually hear a poster's inflections.

j/k