Thoughts on why Donnie and Steve were hired | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on why Donnie and Steve were hired

1. If coaching doesn't matter then Marrone should have ALL recruiters on his staff. So by your logic Marrone is a dummy. Good to know.

2. How can someone who has NEVER played the position or NEVER coached the position teach someone? If Adkins left would you be fine with Anselmo being OL coach? I sure as hell wouldn't.

You really miss the point on multiple levels.

Of course coaching matters. A good coach can help a player reach his maxium level of performance based upon the player's body and mind.

Coaching has helped Ryan Nassib achieve a great deal given his talent level.

Kevin Rogers is not going to suddenly transform Ryan Nassib into a great long thrower.

And the notion that one must have played the position to coach the position is simply not borne out historically.

Most football people agree that Bill Parcells was one of the great QB coaches of all time. He never played the position. Andy Reid is considered a great QB coach - he never played the position. Vince Lombardi was considered a great QB tutor and he never played the position.

Football coaches coach football - all aspects of the game. I'm sure that Anselmo could coach the OL if need be - I'm sure he was involved in that aspect of play when he was the HC at NCCC.

I strongly suspect that you have no idea what Nathaniel Hackett knows about offensive football. You have probably never sat in a film session with him or a position meeting with him or a coaching seminar with him. I also suspect that you have no idea how or to what extent he was taught the offensive game by his father - a well-known professional QB coach.

Like I said, you and I just don't see SU Football issues the same way.

The fact is that accuracy is not something that can be coached - Bill Walsh said it time and again.

So the fact that Nassib has gone from a 52% completion percentage to 62% has nothing to do with coaching at his position? Is it solely the play calling?

They felt the defense needed more help from a coaching staff stand point...our passing offense actually improved year over year as much as everyone beats on Hackett...and plenty of coaches coach positions they never played...happens all the time..including our defensive co-ordinator

Passing Offense:
#91 in 2010 to #65 in 2011 in ypg and
#85 in 2010 to #42 in 2011 in total TD's

I am at a loss for words to describe how bad our passing defense was last year
#98 in 2011 from #7 in 2010 in ypg ...#98 #98 #98 and we are wondering why we have a new DB coach and LB coach...
Our defense was young last year replacing Tribbey, Lewis, Smith, Hogue, and the secondary players, and Chandler Jones missed games 2-7 last year. Why did we lose the UConn, Louisvillle, and USF games last yr? IMO the offense sucked in all of them worse than the defense. Our offense is predictable and did nothing out of the ordinary our defense gone worn out in each game. Where they good last year no, but guess what the offense was suppose to be the strength of this team last year, and they only won the Wake, Toledo games last year. The whole team played well against WVU and the offense only scored 21 points against Rhode Island.

I guess Norm Chow did nothing when he coached up Carson Palmer when he won the Heisman in 2002, or Urban Meyer didn't improve Chris Leak. Coaching players up is huge in college football. I believe Nassib hasn't been coached well, and the fact our offense has only has 2 really good games in the past 2 seasons Kansas State and West Virginia shows me the coaches haven't helped him.

That arguement is flawed from the beginning as Palmer and Leak we're both elite, highly recruitied HS qb's coming in. Norm Chow may or may not have been able to get more from Nassib but I'm sure Hackett would look like a better coach if he was givin that talent to start with.

That arguement is flawed from the beginning as Palmer and Leak we're both elite, highly recruitied HS qb's coming in. Norm Chow may or may not have been able to get more from Nassib but I'm sure Hackett would look like a better coach if he was givin that talent to start with.

The argument was who after all that time has been able to make a player better. Carson Palmer was a serious underachiever at USC even though he was highly recruited till Norm Chow improved his game. Nassib has been coached by Hackett now for 3 years and I have seen no progression either Hackett sucks as a developer or Marrone has hurt the team by not giving anyonelse on the QB roster a chance to play. He can't have it both ways as much as our D wasn't good I had more faith in it than our predictable offense.

Our defense was young last year replacing Tribbey, Lewis, Smith, Hogue, and the secondary players, and Chandler Jones missed games 2-7 last year. Why did we lose the UConn, Louisvillle, and USF games last yr? IMO the offense sucked in all of them worse than the defense. Our offense is predictable and did nothing out of the ordinary our defense gone worn out in each game. Where they good last year no, but guess what the offense was suppose to be the strength of this team last year, and they only won the Wake, Toledo games last year. The whole team played well against WVU and the offense only scored 21 points against Rhode Island.

We were not as young as you think on defense, especially in the secondary...
S thomas, P thomas, Scott and Lyn all had experience coming into last year
Ball, Sharpe and Marinovich all had lots of experience- Bromley started all prior year
Vaughn and Goggins were Jr's and Spruill started all year the prior year

We had zero threats at WR, an undersized RB with no back up who wore out in mid-season (go look at his production the games you are talking about...all below 100 yards), and a OL that had trouble pass protecting..

Yet the passing game improved year over over and the passing defense turned into a pumpkin...Beat on Hackett all you want but Ryan is solid college QB and the TE's over achieved (unless you think Provo is the second coming of Shannon Sharpe)...

Our defense was young last year replacing Tribbey, Lewis, Smith, Hogue, and the secondary players, and Chandler Jones missed games 2-7 last year.

Every team has to replace players every year. There's no excuse for falling as far as we did.

We were not as young as you think on defense, especially in the secondary...
S thomas, P thomas, Scott and Lyn all had experience coming into last year
Ball, Sharpe and Marinovich all had lots of experience- Bromley started all prior year
Vaughn and Goggins were Jr's and Spruill started all year the prior year

We had zero threats at WR, an undersized RB with no back up who wore out in mid-season (go look at his production the games you are talking about...all below 100 yards), and a OL that had trouble pass protecting..

Yet the passing game improved year over over and the passing defense turned into a pumpkin...Beat on Hackett all you want but Ryan is solid college QB and the TE's over achieved (unless you think Provo is the second coming of Shannon Sharpe)...
I think Nassib is a solid QB I am more upset at the lack of progression by the entire offense. A new coach on offense would be helpful IMO. Our OL was suppose to be a strength it was not a strength and the defense was replacing a lot last year and needed the offense to pick up the slack. I feel the coaching staff on offense needs to implent its system, but also help this offense out more.

The argument was who after all that time has been able to make a player better. Carson Palmer was a serious underachiever at USC even though he was highly recruited till Norm Chow improved his game. Nassib has been coached by Hackett now for 3 years and I have seen no progression either Hackett sucks as a developer or Marrone has hurt the team by not giving anyonelse on the QB roster a chance to play. He can't have it both ways as much as our D wasn't good I had more faith in it than our predictable offense.

Maybe USC's qb coach before Chow sucked? Regardless of how he was performing before Chow got there, Palmer still had a higher ceiling than Nassib.

I like Nassib and I've been very critical of Hackett but perhaps he is getting the most out of what he was givin.

I guess Norm Chow did nothing when he coached up Carson Palmer when he won the Heisman in 2002, or Urban Meyer didn't improve Chris Leak. Coaching players up is huge in college football. I believe Nassib hasn't been coached well, and the fact our offense has only has 2 really good games in the past 2 seasons Kansas State and West Virginia shows me the coaches haven't helped him.

This post is absurd. Carson Palmer and Chris Leak were all world recruits who had worlds of talent and plenty of future NFL talent surrounding them.

Ryan Nassib isn't throwing to USC or FL talent.

This post is absurd. Carson Palmer and Chris Leak were all world recruits who had worlds of talent and plenty of future NFL talent surrounding them.

Ryan Nassib isn't throwing to USC or FL talent.

CIL - Van Chew could have played anywhere! :) j/k Van seemed like a great kid, not knocking him.

The
QB coach was more important that either LB or DB. The O has further to go IMO. And if we can get a guy to coach up Nassib so he hits 10% of his deep passes we win a few more games. IMO OL and QB are the most important positions to have coaches. The rest should all be recruiters.
The"O" has been and will continue to be my cry for help until we get one that produces enough points beyonf fgs that takes the pressure off the defense.;)

Hey i thought my post was about the two new coaches. As to Nassib the horse is out of the barn he is what he is which is a kid who gets the most out of his talent. I have posted this but he is a streak passer who builds on confidence. I really would like to see us pass about 50% on first down given decent field position. Putting him into third and long is disaster. Also his best throws are when he is moving vs pocket. I would roll him out on first down and give him the opportunity to throw a quick square out and yes im aging myself or run with the ball. Loosen him up

I guess Norm Chow did nothing when he coached up Carson Palmer when he won the Heisman in 2002, or Urban Meyer didn't improve Chris Leak.
Both Palmer and Leak were 5 star recruits coming out of HS that were TALENTED enough to go to any school in the country. CP has had a long career in the NFL as a starting QB. Norman Chow may have helped refine his talent but Carson Palmer was going to be a pro with or without Norm Chow.

To compare those to enormously talented prospects to a lightly recruited 2 star like Nassib is just silly. Ryan is what is he is which is very average. You can win with him in college but I doubt he has an NFL future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom