Three Bernie Fine accusers were 'highly credible,' Syracuse Police chief says | Syracusefan.com

Three Bernie Fine accusers were 'highly credible,' Syracuse Police chief says

Guarantee you see this running across ESPN's bottom-line for at least a portion of the day.

Tawana Brawley was once considered a credible accuser too.

How'd that work out?

In some ways it validates Syracuse's actions in firing Bernie. Also, it seems like there are a large number of fans that don't really know what to make of Bernie. Is he (i) a predator/criminal that escaped facing consequences for his crimes on a "technicality" (ii) someone that led a sexual lifestyle that was legal, but a bit too risque for his employer's tastes or (iii) the same guy we thought he was in the summer of 2012 and wrongly and unjustly accused.

If the Syracuse Police engaged in a thorough and comprehensive investigation and have what they believe is evidence that would have led them to charge him, but the for the statute of limitations, then I say Chief of Police is doing a public service in saying as much.

Funny how this story comes out on the day of SU's first national game on ESPN isn't it? :rolleyes:
I was just thinking this as I read this thread while the promo for Cuse/Ark was on the side of the screen during Mike and Mike.

So he's saying the Former Cheif's and their men were Negligent in their Duty and should have been suspended or fired?

In some ways it validates Syracuse's actions in firing Bernie. Also, it seems like there are a large number of fans that don't really know what to make of Bernie. Is he (i) a predator/criminal that escaped facing consequences for his crimes on a "technicality" (ii) someone that led a sexual lifestyle that was legal, but a bit too risque for his employer's tastes or (iii) the same guy we thought he was in the summer of 2012 and wrongly and unjustly accused.

If the Syracuse Police engaged in a thorough and comprehensive investigation and have what they believe is evidence that would have led them to charge him, but the for the statute of limitations, then I say Chief of Police is doing a public service in saying as much.
Disagree. It is a cowardly act. If you have evidence against someone, charge them and lets go to court and find out. Since you can't go to court, it means nothing other then to smear someone who really has no recourse to defend themselve.

Is this his way of taking the flag back from the Feds? What a completely unprofessional statement. Totally unnecessary.

I think Lang was more credible back when he denied anything had happened. I think the actions of the SPD back then speaks to the believability of BD. They chose not to prosecute.

Could SPD have some knowledge of BF's countermeasures and are trying to protect themselves?

Disagree. It is a cowardly act. If you have evidence against someone, charge them and lets go to court and find out. Since you can't go to court, it means nothing other then to smear someone who really has no recourse to defend themselve.
Agree. It is not the job of a cop to weigh in publically on the innocence or not of a person that is accused of a crime. Investigate and collaborate with the DA. Determine if more investigation needs to be done or not. Let the DA determine if there is evidence or not to pusue indictment. If so charge and proceed with a prosecution.

Bernie might be guilty but not his job to imply a verdict.

Wowww...This is horrible. I agree with Dasher, nothing can happen with the case now. Fowler is just spreading the fire.

Part of me wants to think that fowler is trying to "do good" and make the SPD look good and responsible. They had their chance to do something with the case...also seems fowler wants some spot light on him or Syracuse again...Will that dark cloud loom over our heads again??

I agree with you. If the chief is going to call him guilty he should say why. If he is going to say he thinks there would have been enough evidence to charge him, he should elaborate on what that evidence is. For instance, is there more than just the word of the these three idiots?

There is a problem when people in authority speculate. It is reasonable to think they have more access to information than what we have. The rationale given for VanHoozer as credible is weak. We know Van knew about this well in advance of a year, so if he ran this scam again, against some mental health worker a year ago, that shouldn't mean much. And when will they start using flip-flopping on their stories against them? And what about the extremely dismissive atitude from Fitz on VanHoozer at last years press conference? It seemed to me that Fitz knew VanHoozer was FOS.

And why on Earth would he think Lang is even remotely credilble? Did the chief read the article about Lang and how he attended Fine's anniversary, used Fines tickets, tried to get his kids enrolled as ball boys. How does the chief reconcile those actions with his thought that Lang is credible?

And if the chief is going to call BD credible, what does the chief think BDs apology was about? No one should be allowed to talk about a credible BD to anyone knowledgable about this case and not be asked what the apology was about. The BD camp is multiple months and counting and has still not explained this. The BD camp should be considered FOS until an explanation is provided.

What a disservice to SU and the whole Syracuse community. First the glory seeking Fitz and now this jackwagon.

How'd that work out?

How'd that work out?
I wouldn't compare the two cases.
I don't anyone who thought her story credible besides a handful of supporters (Reverend Al claims he still does).
There was no corroborating evidence beyond her own bizarre performance.

The Fine case is odd on many levels. But this is a pretty strong statement for a cop to make:

“In my opinion, probable cause would exist to file charges in all three cases,” Broton said.

(Whether that would’ve happened would depend on the “totality of the circumstances,” he said, so he wasn’t willing to say for certain that Fine would’ve been charged.)

I agree, although if police are going make a statement as bold as they have here, it seems they also have an obligation (in a non-legal sense) to lay out the evidence that enables them to say there was probable cause to file charges (arrest).

I suspect you're on target if you're suggesting that SU may have "suggested" through back channels that the police speak up.
Without something like that, SU's dismissal of Fine after the lame"investigation" it did was looking a bit like a flimsy CYA move.

I agree, although if police are going make a statement as bold as they have here, it seems they also have an obligation (in a non-legal sense) to lay out the evidence that enables them to say there was probable cause to file charges (arrest).

I suspect you're on target if you're suggesting that SU may have "suggested" through back channels that the police speak up.
Without something like that, SU's dismissal of Fine after the lame"investigation" it did was looking a bit like a flimsy CYA move.
I'd think it would be in SU's interest for this not to be in the news.

I agree with you. If the chief is going to call him guilty he should say why. If he is going to say he thinks there would have been enough evidence to charge him, he should elaborate on what that evidence is. For instance, is there more than just the word of the these three idiots?

There is a problem when people in authority speculate. It is reasonable to think they have more access to information than what we have. The rationale given for VanHoozer as credible is weak. We know Van knew about this well in advance of a year, so if he ran this scam again, against some mental health worker a year ago, that shouldn't mean much. And when will they start using flip-flopping on their stories against them? And what about the extremely dismissive atitude from Fitz on VanHoozer at last years press conference? It seemed to me that Fitz knew VanHoozer was FOS.

And why on Earth would he think Lang is even remotely credilble? Did the chief read the article about Lang and how he attended Fine's anniversary, used Fines tickets, tried to get his kids enrolled as ball boys. How does the chief reconcile those actions with his thought that Lang is credible?

And if the chief is going to call BD credible, what does the chief think BDs apology was about? No one should be allowed to talk about a credible BD to anyone knowledgable about this case and not be asked what the apology was about. The BD camp is multiple months and counting and has still not explained this. The BD camp should be considered FOS until an explanation is provided.

What a disservice to SU and the whole Syracuse community. First the glory seeking Fitz and now this jackwagon.

Unfortunately, there is no statute of limitations on grandstanding. We can now expect all the usual suspects to start weighing in again on Fine.

And I can't wait for the Post-Standard's Sunday feature reporting on this. I guess they're trying to sell a few newspapers before they no longer sell newspapers.

Looks like that's what the PS is going to be releasing in their Sunday edition - per a blurb at the end of today's piece.

Tired of Syracuse basketball being put in the same sentence as Fine.

One proposed incident during a road game far away from home with no other coaches in the room. The rest of the accusations were off campus and only between bernie, his wife and non basketball members.

As fans we should blacklist all comments on this subject even ones talked about during games.

Tired of Syracuse basketball being put in the same sentence as Fine.

One proposed incident during a road game far away from home with no other coaches in the room. The rest of the accusations were off campus and only between bernie, his wife and non basketball members.

As fans we should blacklist all comments on this subject even ones talked about during games.
Huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom